ATH EW9 Review
Sep 2, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #16 of 32
I was listening to some Al Dimeola today and he sounds fantastic.

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #17 of 32
I can see now how my pk2's are cutting off the top end of my music. The ew9's have backed off a little too. So they are a little less in my face.The only thing I see as a little issue is the wire on my left ear can get uncomfortable after an hour or so. But an adjustment fixes that. I haven't tried adjusting with the little screw yet. I like them.

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #19 of 32
Weight is definitely not an issue.Your type of ear makes a difference too I would think. Size etc.....

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #20 of 32
Thanks for your great review, headphonejunkie!

As a long time fan of Audio Technica Clip-ons I've been acquiring the EW9, EW700 and EM700ti plus some plastic models over the years. I believe that all of them sound excellent and very balanced when driven from an amp. Straight from my DAPs (except from the AMP3) the bass sounds too anaemic and rather uncontrolled when I try to tweak the EQ.

While I think that the EW9 are among the most beautiful phones ever built, soundwise I prefer the EM700ti (titanium) by a slight margin. The difference is small, but their highs do sound a bit less agressive than the EW9's. They are also thinner and slightly less obtrusive on the ears.

BTW I got my EM700ti for only £53 from iheadphones uk, which makes them one of the best bang/buck phones I ever bought.

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #21 of 32
EW9 is one of my fav clip-on headphone!

Sep 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #23 of 32
Ya. I like that case too.

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #24 of 32

Quote:
Is that a Pelican case?  I have a Pelican laptop case for my Alienware M17x.

Nope, its Otterbox 2000 series.

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #25 of 32

Quote:
Aren't they a clip-on version of the ESW9A?

They look similar.  Thats where the similarities end.  I had both, and still jog with the EW9.  The EW9 is good for that - jogging.  It's got artificial bass, which is great for pumping you up on a workout.  Not bose artificial, but sort of the ATH "house" tipped mids in the bass.  I am unable to listen to them actively - if I'm jogging or concentrating on something else, they're good.
By contrast, while I no longer have the ESW9, I remember being more impressed with their balance.  Especially for acoustic guitar work - I couldn't fall asleep while listening to Nick Drake, I was too engaged.  I remember Simon and Garfunkel's Cecelia sounding great too.
I really wanted to like the EW9, but it's a meh phone as a dedicated home phone or even as a portable.  Great as a workout/jogging headphone, not to mention the stares it attracts.  Not worth over 100$, but for the price I found them for on ebay (not one of the common fakes there either!) It was a great purchase.  I should mention that I've had it for two years, and sweat from jogging rusts the metal clip mechanism over time.  It closes less and less snugly with every use.  Next jogging headphone will be the more durable JH5.

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #26 of 32

Quote:
They look similar.  Thats where the similarities end.  I had both, and still jog with the EW9.  The EW9 is good for that - jogging.  It's got artificial bass, which is great for pumping you up on a workout.  Not bose artificial, but sort of the ATH "house" tipped mids in the bass.  I am unable to listen to them actively - if I'm jogging or concentrating on something else, they're good.

Thanks for the information. I find this whole line hard to keep straight.

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #27 of 32
I like mine. They have clarity and give a spaciousness to recordings. They are worth The $120 pricetag for a portable.

May 9, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #29 of 32
Hey everybody, what do yall think of the EW9's versus the EM7's? From what I've heard, these two are supposed to have the same drivers, just different housing. I do prefer the sound of wooden headphones...

May 9, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #30 of 32

Quote:
Hey everybody, what do yall think of the EW9's versus the EM7's? From what I've heard, these two are supposed to have the same drivers, just different housing. I do prefer the sound of wooden headphones...

IMHO, the EM7 is similar to EW9, but with more bass.  Probably has something to do with the metal housing.  I have both but tend to use the EW9 more even though I'm a basshead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back