ATH-ES7 Buyer's Guide or How (and Where) to Avoid Fakes.
Dec 8, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #121 of 144

i've seen a couple of black ones on amazon a few weeks ago.  there's also still a lot available on ebay although I personally wouldn't buy something this expensive on ebay :D

white ones, however, are a different story.  I started looking for them last month to buy them for a present and most online stores I checked didn't have them.  I ended up buying from audiocubes.com which shipped from japan and which I ended up having the worst online shopping experience ever.  basically I ordered a set of white ones and my order was on hold/processing for about 2 weeks for no reason before they actually shipped it.  shipping only took 2 days thankfully (received it last weekend).

Yeah, I don't really trust eBay since there are so many fakes out there. The only ones I can find at the moment are being sold by people with no feedback on amazon or websites with no pictures/reviews of sites

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #123 of 144
Sorry to bring this thread from the dead, but I was looking for a second opinion to find out if my es7's are fake. I just bought off ebay (I know, dumb idea) and received them a few days ago. So far they sound fairly good, but this is my first pair of nice headphones (been rocking my stock ipod headphones for years, heh) so I'm not sure if it just sounds good compared to those POS.

According to this guide, my headphones are as follows:

-left and right labels fit the fake description
-there is a recycle logo but it is a sticker. There's also a screw below this logo like the real ones
-the carrying case is made of leather but does in fact have the little audio technica tag on the side (though the font seems kinda odd). There is no audio technica logo on the front or anything, it's just solid black
- it came with no cleaning cloth
- the headphone connectors are smooth
-the packaging for mine looks exactly like the picture ludacity posted earlier in the thread
-specifications on the back are on a sticker that is placed on the back of the packaging
-I can't seem to find a manufacture date or any sort of indication of where it was made
-the earcups seem sort of flimsy
-the headband seems pretty sturdy and has thick rubber material

I'm on the fence whether these are fake or not. The packaging makes me think it's fake, but the look of the headphones seems like it could go either way. Some said earlier that the sound quality out of the packaging for fake ones is god awful and one can tell right away, which isn't really the case for me.

I'd love some second opinions, thanks so much for any insight.

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #124 of 144
I'm pretty sure those are fake due to the carrying case. Mine is a soft case with a cleaning cloth included.

Quote:
Sorry to bring this thread from the dead, but I was looking for a second opinion to find out if my es7's are fake. I just bought off ebay (I know, dumb idea) and received them a few days ago. So far they sound fairly good, but this is my first pair of nice headphones (been rocking my stock ipod headphones for years, heh) so I'm not sure if it just sounds good compared to those POS.

-there is a recycle logo but it is a sticker. There's also a screw below this logo like the real ones
-the carrying case is made of leather but does in fact have the little audio technica tag on the side (though the font seems kinda odd). There is no audio technica logo on the front or anything, it's just solid black
-the packaging for mine looks exactly like the picture ludacity posted earlier in the thread
-specifications on the back are on a sticker that is placed on the back of the packaging
-I can't seem to find a manufacture date or any sort of indication of where it was made

I'm on the fence whether these are fake or not. The packaging makes me think it's fake, but the look of the headphones seems like it could go either way. Some said earlier that the sound quality out of the packaging for fake ones is god awful and one can tell right away, which isn't really the case for me.

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #125 of 144
Yeah I'm positive they're fake now. In the paperwork that came in the box there was a section that talked about the environmental disposal laws for the People's Republic of China.

Awww man....

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #126 of 144
Quote:

I got the exact same headphones as the guy above, and I am pretty sure they are fake. Sound terrible and show almost every sign of a fake. Good thing I read this up before it was too late.

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #127 of 144
Hi, I'd like to know if these are real

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270708799158&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

He has 100% positive feedback but they're coming from China so I'm a bit worried to bid >_<

EDIT: Also, in the pictures, he seemed to have blurred out someone's name/a company name..? :S

EDIT 2: Btw, are eBay seller obliged to accept any offer that is above the starting bid?

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #128 of 144
They look fake. The bag isn't made of pleather (cloth, grey color), the earpads look wrong and the left and right side indicators are not supposed to be shiny. I wouldn't risk it, considering these does not seem to be even his own photos!

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #129 of 144

Quote:
Same here, I'm in need of the same thing. Hope someone can provide some sites that is in Canada, or ships to Canada.

My local headphone store just got a shipment from Denon that was ordered last year. These may be the last new legit pairs on the market? The store is in Vancouver, so if you're from around here just go to the store in person. They have demo units of almost every pair and they let you try before you make your purchase. If not, they do ship across Canada but you have to arrange it with the store owner.

http://headphonebar.com/?p=533

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #130 of 144
Looking to buy these babied online in the UK too, but can't find anywhere online that I can buy em off..

I placed an order with iheadphones.co.uk (while they were showing having them in stock).. an e-mail couple of days later -> they dont have any in stock, and got no clue when they will.. So am looking for an alternative case..

There is always the option of the official audio technica store, but man they are expensive on there.. 150 GBP, whereas the ones on iheadphones.co.uk go for 110GBP..

Any other places you can get these from shipping to the UK? (cheaper than 150 GBP ofc)

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #131 of 144
I just received my pair from an Ebay seller... Risky, I know, but I live in Canada so it's hard to get my hands on these and did my best to verify their authenticity. The listing is below, as well as some photos to prove their authenticity. Unfortunately when I bought these phones 3 weeks ago, they were $99 US but are now $199 US. If you look at the history of purchases, the price actually started at $79 US... I guess the seller figured that they could ask a lot more for authentic phones....

Listing: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290513085883&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1473wt_1139

Photos:

The box is a little roughed up, as stated in the listing.

Velour carrying bag.

Made in Japan.

Brushed metal sides.

The sound awesome and were a steal for $99. Still, if anyone is interested in getting them from this seller, they are AUTHENTIC by all measures in this thread.

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #133 of 144

Quote:
I just received my pair from an Ebay seller... Risky, I know, but I live in Canada so it's hard to get my hands on these and did my best to verify their authenticity. The listing is below, as well as some photos to prove their authenticity. Unfortunately when I bought these phones 3 weeks ago, they were $99 US but are now $199 US. If you look at the history of purchases, the price actually started at $79 US... I guess the seller figured that they could ask a lot more for authentic phones....

Listing: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290513085883&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1473wt_1139

I have also just received a pair of genuine ES7's from the exact same ebay seller. Luckily I got them before the price was shoved up too. The seller states that buyers outside of the US will receive the headphones from an overseas warehouse, which by looking at the feedback seems to be located in Hong Kong. Strangely, mine were shipped from the UK, which is fine considering I live here. My only complaint would be that the seller took a whole week to post them. Box was beaten up too, but that’s fine.

Overall a great find, shame the price has gone up so high now.

May 15, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #134 of 144
well, I bought mine almost 2 years ago, and today I found out they are probably fake :frowning2: 

- sticker is not transparent 
- font on a bag is different from the original and poorly stitched  (letter "a" in technica in particular)
- turning stoppers are visible
mine also has silver left/right marks

not sure about the sound, but built quality is fine..

May 30, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #135 of 144
Hey guys, how are you all doing? Wanting to buy ES7s to Australia where they are deadly expensive ($225 at the authorised store, cheapest is $145 from headphones.com.au) and I saw this listing for $75 + free shipping on eBay. Now I'm worried they are fake, but they have great feedback. Sorry if this seller has been talked about, just really wanting to know before I buy some fake ones!

listing: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380342064853&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back