ATH CK-100 First Impressions
Jul 16, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #61 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My very first impressions, before they went on loan, were horrible. A hard, forward, glassy, shouting midrange on vocals that I just abhorred.

I guess every new owner of CK100 have to encounter that
confused_face.gif
As a matter of fact, i cant even listen to it for few seconds and end up leaving it warm up for few hours. It's love feast from then onward. The bass keep growing, even now. More impact and quantity. No dogs or cats involved, yet to try both
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #62 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No dogs or cats involved, yet to try both
frown.gif

Squirrels.

I heard they can do wonders if the IEM is properly inserted & left for precisely 3.5 days....but, was it red or grey squirrels? Oh nuts...

Rather pleasant aroma of hazelnuts too, I believe....better than that fishypoo pong soozieq left me with.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #63 of 104
james444-albums-album1-picture2979t-secret-squirrel.jpg
Ok, let's get back to topic, shall we ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only two things bothering me with the CK100 are slightly too cold mids and lack of isolation. The latter came as a surprise, because according to all other opinions I've read, they ought to have good isolation. Maybe it's due to my rather wide ear canals, but none of the included tips do really fit. Anyway, I hope some de-cored Shure olives will fix this problem.

Tried stuffing the silicon tips with de-cored olives and that did the trick. Interestingly not only did the isolation improve, but also the mids. They are noticably warmer now. You live and learn.

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #64 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
james444-albums-album1-picture2979t-secret-squirrel.jpg
Ok, let's get back to topic, shall we ...

Spoilsport :p

Nice pic of ol' Secret tho!

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #65 of 104
Quote:

Rather pleasant aroma of hazelnuts too, I believe....better than that fishypoo pong soozieq left me with.

HEY!!! I thought about cleaning the cat poo off... and it's the thought that counts, never forget that
ph34r.gif

james444- Hi
smily_headphones1.gif
.... how many degrees did the mids warm up by?? Is it the smidgeon that I was after? I may have to borrow them again from my very good friend steviebobblehat, except I don't have any olives anymore
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #66 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
james444- Hi
smily_headphones1.gif
.... how many degrees did the mids warm up by?? Is it the smidgeon that I was after? I may have to borrow them again from my very good friend steviebobblehat, except I don't have any olives anymore
frown.gif

Don't know about degrees, but let me illustrate the change in mids this way:

CK100 w/o olives --------------------- CK100 + olives --------- Shure SE530

I know from prior experiments with various other IEMs that olives provide excellent isolation and may thereby dramatically alter the bass, but I have never noticed such a change in the midrange before. Squirrels, all-clear you can rest easy now
smile_phones.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #68 of 104
iam interested to buy CK100 but not sure about it's sound signature like some says it's too cold n some says it's bit warm n airy. What's your experience with these?. Quote:

Originally Posted by googleli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like I am getting JH-13 Pro... Stax Omega II can wait...

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #69 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iam interested to buy CK100 buy not sure about it's sound signature like some says it's too cold n some says it's bit warm n airy. What's your experience with these?.

I don't see how CK100 can be warm... i can see it being a bit cold to some people though.. but it is very airy for sure

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #70 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iam interested to buy CK100 buy not sure about it's sound signature like some says it's too cold n some says it's bit warm n airy. What's your experience with these?.

Initially they struck me as slightly too cold for my taste and now with the olives I consider them just about right (= not particularly cold or warm).

And airy they are, no doubt.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #72 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how do these compare to the PFE?

Well, they're better built, for one
wink.gif

And sooz, you don't have olives - but I do
tongue.gif

But if I've understood correctly olives move the mids to be more like SE530? Bugger...

Mind you, even 530 mids were better than what I initially heard from CK-100. Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd write....

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #73 of 104
Quote:

Well, they're better built, for one
wink.gif

And sooz, you don't have olives - but I do
tongue.gif

Oooh
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

But if I've understood correctly olives move the mids to be more like SE530? Bugger...

Hmmm. Funny, I borrowed Mark's SE530's last week to remind myself of the midrange (seeing as how I haven't had my E500 for 2 years now), and I have to say I did prefer the warmth of the vocals to the CK100.

I'd imagine that since the olives give the CK100 mids that additional warmth, it might take away the hardness of the vocals a little. Try them please steviebeesknees and report back
ph34r.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #74 of 104
Wilco.

ps - you ready with/for the answer yet?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #75 of 104
Quote:

Wilco.

ps - you ready with/for the answer yet?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm still waiting for a bowel and a constipant in one of the words. Come on, gissa clue
smile_phones.gif

I love cryptic crosswords, but it's really mean not to give me at least one decent letter.

Why are you so mean to me? Why God, why???
ph34r.gif

P.S How many pairs of olives do you have by the way???? And can you mod them like james444 modded them? I'm curious to know how your one big ear perceives the change..........

ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back