ATH CK-100 First Impressions
Jun 24, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #31 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
N97 is reported to have a cleaner and better output than 5800XM
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried CK100 out from Audigy 2, most prominent differences was vocal positioning and bass quantity. Bass on 5800 is boosted, sound deeper too. Vocal being upfront rather than at your ear on Audigy 2.

If you don't mind the trouble, try to use Foobar2000 with the ASIO plugin for playback. I assume you are playing CD or wave or other lossless formats?
k701smile.gif
CK100 can reveal flaws in anything lower than 320kbps

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #33 of 104
Do the CK100s need to be amped?because I only have a Fiio E5 at the moment and Im not sure when I will have enough money for a decent one.

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #34 of 104
No it doesnt need amp. I just hook it up with my sony A728 and it sounds great. Its very easy to drive, I only turn the volume to 7/30 normally.

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #35 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it doesnt need amp. I just hook it up with my sony A728 and it sounds great. Its very easy to drive, I only turn the volume to 7/30 normally.

a kwang, how does rock sound on the CK100s? The sound signature seems like it would be perfect for rock.

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #36 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a kwang, how does rock sound on the CK100s? The sound signature seems like it would be perfect for rock.

I don't really listen to rock, but with the stuff i have (metallica, AC/DC), i find CK100 not too suitable for them. The primary problem is the lack of quantitative bass, which makes the music have less impact. The bass guitar and drums are there, but just doesn't get my foot tapping, if you know what i mean.

However, for Japanese rock (X-japan, superfly) CK100 actually does the job well as j-rock isnt exaclty focused on bass and drums, but rather overall detail and presentation.

I guess japanese headphones suit japanese music better?
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #37 of 104
I also feel that CK100 is quite good with J-rock, especially with the high pitched voice of Toshi. It also sounds very good with Joey Yung's songs (Joey Yung is a Hong Kong pop singer). The most surprising thing is that it sounds really good with 蘇永康 as well. I never have imagined any earphones would sound so good with both female and male voices.

With some Japanese hip hop songs you can actually feel the thumpy bass as well (e.g. Lotta Love by M-Flo), but if you want bass you really need a good source. I can't say how good a source is Cowon D2 but with mobile phone the bass really is not that great with CK100.

For those who know Chinese, I would recommend the following songs which reveal the beauty of CK100 to the fullest:
搜神記 (容祖兒)
喜帖街 (謝安琪)
Colors (Stephy)
青山散步 (Stephy)
暗湧 (Faye Wong)
Sol#4 (蘇永康)

Also, all Jocelyn Wang's and Susan Wong's albums sound very good on CK100. I am trying to find a way to connect CK100 to my PS3, which can play SACDs of the above singers.

Finally, piano pieces also sound great on CK100. Try Chopin Etudes - you can hear every note and virtually see the pianist's flying fingers yet the smoothness is retained. Simply amazing.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #39 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
googleli, can u try to have a listen to N97 using "Lineout" instead of "Headphone" connection? IMO, it does make a different on 5800. Thanks

I don't know about 5800 but there is only one 3.5mm hole on N97. Do you mean switching the connection profile settings? There is a TV out and another stereo deck output option but I don't know how to switch to them. When I insert my earphones it automatically switches to "Headphone - listen only" mode.

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #41 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by googleli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who know Chinese, I would recommend the following songs which reveal the beauty of CK100 to the fullest:
搜神記 (容祖兒)
喜帖街 (謝安琪)
Colors (Stephy)
青山散步 (Stephy)
暗湧 (Faye Wong)
Sol#4 (蘇永康)

try 蔡琴's 被遺忘的時光。of 無間道 fame.

高音甜,中音准, 低音勁。 (as if such things exist =P)

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #42 of 104
You must try using new Sony Walkman X Series. CK100 using X1060 just like using Cowon D2 but the bass double
smily_headphones1.gif

In Singapore, the price for CK100 is only S$499 on some period (I think until end of this month)

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #45 of 104
1 month into the purchase. These are definitely the pair of non-custom IEMs that give the most transparent sound. Okay they may not be the most expensive when you buy them in Japan, but they sound the best for my music, which mainly includes vocal and pop. Sounds also incredible for string instruments and saxophones. Fast response, detailed yet transparent. I have been searching for this pair since ER4P, and now own SE530, Westone 3, Triple-Fi 10 Pro and UE10Pro customs. They all sound good on certain aspects but not so good on others. CK100 also has its weaknesses but for overall tonality and SQ it is purely sound which is out of this world. Westone 3 is very balanced but a bit too balanced to my liking after I went through CK100. UE10Pro also had its moments but still can't beat CK100 on transparency and detail. And the rest (SE530, TF10Pro) is history - I haven't touched those after purchasing CK100. Now if I ever want to purchase IEMs again, the only option seems to be this thingy from JH Audio which is posted by someone in another thread:

JH AUDIO | Pro Music

Or I may skip that and start a brand new journey with headphones. I am considering to get the Stax Omega 2 to avoid all the "search-for" trouble I had experienced with IEMs. (Well, Orpheus is another option if it were not that scarce and expensive on the market) The problem with headphones is that I will have to spend a lot on source and cables whose price could easily exceed the Stax for 2-3 times for something that can live up to the Omega2.

And of course there may be an upgrade to CK100, but I doubt any further upgrades would be able to transplant the overall SQ of CK100. For those who are into digital cameras (not DSLRs), I believe CK100 will become like Fujifilm's F30/F31 FD - a true legend that won't be beaten for years to come. (F30/F31 FD is a digital camera which came out years ago with only 6 megapixels, yet its picture quality is still considered the best after all these years - not even Fujifilm's own upgrades, including F40, F50, F100 and even the recent F200EXR could beat it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back