ATH CK-100 First Impressions
Jul 16, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #76 of 104
My one big ear is not sentient & cannot reply. However, I will consult the Ching...

CHA CHING!

Hmmm...Ching says my one big ear wants a raise...

(Wow, how would only one ear work - no more stereo! Soundstage? pfffft. Save a fortune on tips tho....wonder if I can have one of mine removed - y'know, take one for the team?)

I spose I could, er, 'stuff' an olive
biggrin.gif
If I have to. I have mebbe 3/4 pairs. And a heap of Comply T400 somewhere - they can go stuff themselves.

Aaaaaaannnd WELCOME to steviebee's Cryptic Xword Puzzle Thread Derail

So, letters now is it? My carefully spun clues not enough for ya?

OK. Because I'm irredeemably nice, I'll give you two

EDITOR'S NOTE: THIS SECTION NOW CLOSED AS MINORS MAY BE PRESENT, AND STEVIEBEE HAS TO MAKE AMENDS BY FLAILING HIMSELF & DONNING A HAIRSHIRT FOR ONE LUNAR MONTH. HE MAY ALSO HAVE TO MAKE SANDWICHES FOR THE WHOLE OF HEAD FI. IN EXPIATION.

If anyone solves this right now (ie before my bedtime) I'll give them, ooh, a Fii0 E3 and a small book of Vogon poetry....the answer is loosely Head Fi related, and theatrical and fxxxxxxxt.

OK, I lied about the Vogon poetry...I'll make it an E3 and a mint pr of K701....

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #77 of 104
(mmmmppff....errrkkk...hhhmmppp)

er................could someone undo these cuffs & straps a little please? Just a tad?

IwilltalkaboutheadphonesIwilltalkaboutheadphonesIw illtalkaboutheadphones. I will, promise....

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #78 of 104
Are we heading the wrong rail here?
biggrin.gif

I havent tried Shure Olives but will try it tonight when i get home.

P.S: Dont stick the whole titanium into your ears, it's still a canalphone.

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #79 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are we heading the wrong rail here?
biggrin.gif

Wrong rail, derailed, whatever ...
biggrin.gif

BTW here's how I modded the tips, the only difference being that I used de-cored olives instead of foamies.

Oh, and steviebee ... I almost forgot to mention ....... that for best results you gotta immerse the tips ............ or was it yourself? ............ in olive oil ............... or was it nut oil? ...............

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #80 of 104
Sorry about that chaps.
Was in the throes of Thunderstorm Mania last night....better now.

Right. Back on track, yes. Yes, indeedy.

I will dangle my 100's this weekend if I get the chance (steady), and may even get an olive on the bench with an unfeasibly large n sharp blade. White coat time....

Eh? What? Olive oil...tips....immerse? I missed something.
Aw...you're jes' foolin' with ol' sb
biggrin.gif
Nice!

PS - No-one got the answer? Sheesh...even for a pair of K701? Am I alone in this world? .....sniff....

(cough) er......sorry. Again.

Honestly, I do feel fine. I'm going for a lie down....

Jul 19, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #83 of 104
~removed by pm request

To get this back on topic: this which i posted on the other thread..

A/B Ck100 against Um3x

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

today i had the chance to A/B the um3x against the ck100s.
i haven't had the chance to consolidate my thoughts but i'm going to try saying something worthwhile here. I was planning to buy the um3x because they're on offer here ~$300usd. so take note of my slight um3x bias as u read this and do ur self correction.

I'm quite certain that in the bass department ck100's have more extension and quantity. especially in the sub bass and impact. what um3x lacks in quantity it makes up nicely for it in quality. and the closer the bass is to the midrange, the better(quantity) it gets on the um3x.
bass: ath ck100's in photo-finish.

Midrange: Quality wise, i'm saying um3x by a fairly big margin but i'm definitely biased here to some extent. don't stone me...clarity and airiness is where the um3x shines..soundstage is laRRGGee on the um3x.

I want to deal with the issue of forwardness of the 2 iems. This is where it gets tough. i mean tough as in goddarn mindfcuked me. It really got me very confused because although i've heard quite a bit of vocal stuff myself, i've never met something like that. i grabbed some vocal heavy tracks, both male and female. On some tracks the um3x sounded more forward, on others the ck100s. That prompted me to sit up and A/B them more rigourously. On most occasions, um3x moARR forward than ck100. (seems like i'm the minority)
i kinda love vocals so hey no prob there.

Although i was not able to reach a conclusion on the spot regarding the cause of the discrepancy, it was a very late afterthought that it could be the fussy nature of the um3x to recordings. tstarn06 did point out that it was fussy to source(dap), i'm going out as far as to say they are just as particular with recordings. not necessarily in a bad way but they just sound very very different.

Treble: Much as i would like to sound intelligent about treble, too much of my attention was spent on the vocals, and triangles or anything brighter was all i was able to catch from the brief listening. crisp, clean, but not sparkly enough to make me sit up. The jury is out on this one, but i'll say both are just as good. No comment on extension, coz i'm goner past 17khz.

Footnote: There was one particular track where the ck100's just suppressed its own bass and delivered crystal clear mids, while the um3x had its bass all over the vocals. I really hated that track because i had ruled um3x better in mids handsdown pretty much all the way..

Hope this helps some. Or confused some.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #85 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
~removed by pm request

To get this back on topic: this which i posted on the other thread..

A/B Ck100 against Um3x

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

today i had the chance to A/B the um3x against the ck100s.
i haven't had the chance to consolidate my thoughts but i'm going to try saying something worthwhile here. I was planning to buy the um3x because they're on offer here ~$300usd. so take note of my slight um3x bias as u read this and do ur self correction.

I'm quite certain that in the bass department ck100's have more extension and quantity. especially in the sub bass and impact. what um3x lacks in quantity it makes up nicely for it in quality. and the closer the bass is to the midrange, the better(quantity) it gets on the um3x.
bass: ath ck100's in photo-finish.

Midrange: Quality wise, i'm saying um3x by a fairly big margin but i'm definitely biased here to some extent. don't stone me...clarity and airiness is where the um3x shines..soundstage is laRRGGee on the um3x.

I want to deal with the issue of forwardness of the 2 iems. This is where it gets tough. i mean tough as in goddarn mindfcuked me. It really got me very confused because although i've heard quite a bit of vocal stuff myself, i've never met something like that. i grabbed some vocal heavy tracks, both male and female. On some tracks the um3x sounded more forward, on others the ck100s. That prompted me to sit up and A/B them more rigourously. On most occasions, um3x moARR forward than ck100. (seems like i'm the minority)
i kinda love vocals so hey no prob there.

Although i was not able to reach a conclusion on the spot regarding the cause of the discrepancy, it was a very late afterthought that it could be the fussy nature of the um3x to recordings. tstarn06 did point out that it was fussy to source(dap), i'm going out as far as to say they are just as particular with recordings. not necessarily in a bad way but they just sound very very different.

Treble: Much as i would like to sound intelligent about treble, too much of my attention was spent on the vocals, and triangles or anything brighter was all i was able to catch from the brief listening. crisp, clean, but not sparkly enough to make me sit up. The jury is out on this one, but i'll say both are just as good. No comment on extension, coz i'm goner past 17khz.

Footnote: There was one particular track where the ck100's just suppressed its own bass and delivered crystal clear mids, while the um3x had its bass all over the vocals. I really hated that track because i had ruled um3x better in mids handsdown pretty much all the way..

Hope this helps some. Or confused some.

Thanks for your review.

Quite surpirse about CK100 have more bass impact than UM3X.Can I ask you about tips you are using when auditioning UM3X?

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #86 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by googleli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
~Deleted~ : "Shut up you Friggin ******"

Well, thx for your adult contribution. Think better of it did you?

Good job.

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #87 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your review.

Quite surpirse about CK100 have more bass impact than UM3X.Can I ask you about tips you are using when auditioning UM3X?

I didn't check the tips too clearly but both were single greysilicon flanges and i made sure i got a good seal with both. they looked like stock tips imo.

i had to up the volume slightly on the ck100s to hear the same amount of detail and instrument clarity. not sure if that helps u figure out smth.

I also had the chance to hear the W3s. (more on that later.) I'll probably be going down to audition the IE8s against UM3x again today..and probably relisten to the W3s and CK100s. Then maybe a more lengthy 4 way shootout..lol..

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #89 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a tip when testing ck100, use the LARGEST flange u can fit in your ears.

x2, same experience here. I've been testing these extensively over the weekend. The ck100 are by far the most seal-dependent IEMs I've ever come across! IME if you achieve perfect seal, meaning 100% (not 95% or 98%) they can sound utterly fantastic. Any less and the highs will sound too bright, mids and highs falling apart, ... I think I understand now why some judge these as bad phones.

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #90 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't check the tips too clearly but both were single greysilicon flanges and i made sure i got a good seal with both. they looked like stock tips imo.

i had to up the volume slightly on the ck100s to hear the same amount of detail and instrument clarity. not sure if that helps u figure out smth.

I also had the chance to hear the W3s. (more on that later.) I'll probably be going down to audition the IE8s against UM3x again today..and probably relisten to the W3s and CK100s. Then maybe a more lengthy 4 way shootout..lol..

Thanks ,Insomniax

Just let your know grey silicon don't bring the best out of UM3X. Shure olive is better with everything, including bass
atsmile.gif

BTW How do you think of W3?
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back