ATH CK-100 First Impressions
Jun 20, 2009 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

googleli

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a trip this weekend, so I brought my TF10Pro with me when I went to work on Friday morning for use on my trip. In the afternoon, when I went to lunch I discovered that one of the tips of my 10 Pro was missing. So I went to Wanchai Computer City to buy an eartip, and in a shop on the same floor I stumbled across it, again - the most expensive non-custom IEM in the world, ATH CK100. I tried to resist the temptation but failed. The price is Hong Kong is HK$3630.

Bass is not as bad as I thought - at least better than ER4P in terms of quantity. The depth of its bass is definitely better than SE530.

Mids and Highs - what can I say - the CK100s are simply the smoothest and most detailed in-ear monitors I have ever heard, custom phones included. Why go for custom UE11Pro or ES3 when you can get better sound from non-customs at less than half the price?

Of all the customs and non-customs earphones I own (UE11Pro, ER4P, SE530, TF10 Pro, Westone 3) and those I have auditioned (X10, UM3X, IE8) , CK100 is simply the best for female vocal, piano and string quartett. For strictly pop song listeners, Westone 3 may be better due to its better balanced bass. For orchestras, TF10Pro may still have an upper hand due to its good separation of instruments.

I have auditioned UM3X, and CK100's approach is more like UM3X, except it beats UM3X in every aspect. So if you think UM3X is for you, do try CK100 before your purchase (I doubt if any shop provides audition for CK100 though). In terms of detail, the only IEM that comes close to CK100 is ER4P. But CK100 adds a bit of ATH signature warmth to the detailed sound (but WITHOUT the ATH signature harsh mid-hi range), so consider CK100 if you thought ER4P was too cold. The other thing that comes really close is the Stax Omega II with details comparable to that of CK100 but of course much better soundstage due to the inherent limitations of IEMs.

I don't even want to mention SE530, it is the worst >$3K earphone that I own. Recessed highs and shallow bass. Yes, its mid is lively and smooth but way too warm and colored. To me, I think ER4P is better than SE530. In comparison, the CK100's mids are even smoother and livelier than SE530 and at the same time so natural without sacrificing any detail.

I have made 2 very satisfactory purchases this week - Nokia N97 and CK100. I am sure the latter will last much longer with me though. Now I must get back to my CK100 coz they are such a comfort (due to its exterior design) and a treat to listen to. When I get home I will use my Cowon D2 to listen to it and post more thoughts. I can't imagine how good the sound would be after run-in!

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 104
Congrats on your fine purchase!
I recently bought myself a pair of CK100 too, and i absolutely love them.
I listen to lots of female vocals (95% of the time) so CK100 does wonders. Rarely when i listen to rock or dance music do i find the bass a tad lacking.

Though I read somewhere saying how ER4P has way better resolution than CK100

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 104
The bass will definitely increase in quantity overtime. Not sure what cured in but definitely noticible. Glad you like it
smily_headphones1.gif

I loved mine.

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not actually, it just has some extra magic with female vocal. It's good in reproducing other vocal too. Deep male vocal sound good too (metal and rock).

As far as I knew, every review I saw was about how good they reproduced female vocal. I really wish some one could give more detail about its ability to
reproduce man vocal.

Stop tempting me already.
devil_face.gif
. If any one in Canada like to listen to UM3X, I am seriously thinking to have a temp exchange in order to unveil CK100 by myself

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 104
Male vocal wont sound as thick as IE8 (due to warmness) but it wont feel lifeless or thin either. But normally i dont dissect vocal part by part, so my observation will not be very accurate.

So i will stop tempting u :p

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #8 of 104
Where can I buy these the cheapest online , that will ship to America?

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 104
these poor headphones are being tarnished because of their 'price'. but, they sell for less than the um3x, w3, se530, er4s, westone um2 and many others as their average selling price is about 300$, but they are not sold out of japan officially.

in no way should they be considered the most expensive universal phones. glad you like them though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by googleli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a trip this weekend, so I brought my TF10Pro with me when I went to work on Friday morning for use on my trip. In the afternoon, when I went to lunch I discovered that one of the tips of my 10 Pro was missing. So I went to Wanchai Computer City to buy an eartip, and in a shop on the same floor I stumbled across it, again - the most expensive non-custom IEM in the world, ATH CK100. I tried to resist the temptation but failed. The price is Hong Kong is HK$3630.

Bass is not as bad as I thought - at least better than ER4P in terms of quantity. The depth of its bass is definitely better than SE530.

Mids and Highs - what can I say - the CK100s are simply the smoothest and most detailed in-ear monitors I have ever heard, custom phones included. Why go for custom UE11Pro or ES3 when you can get better sound from non-customs at less than half the price?

Of all the customs and non-customs earphones I own (UE11Pro, ER4P, SE530, TF10 Pro, Westone 3) and those I have auditioned (X10, UM3X, IE8) , CK100 is simply the best for female vocal, piano and string quartett. For strictly pop song listeners, Westone 3 may be better due to its better balanced bass. For orchestras, TF10Pro may still have an upper hand due to its good separation of instruments.

I have auditioned UM3X, and CK100's approach is more like UM3X, except it beats UM3X in every aspect. So if you think UM3X is for you, do try CK100 before your purchase (I doubt if any shop provides audition for CK100 though). In terms of detail, the only IEM that comes close to CK100 is ER4P. But CK100 adds a bit of ATH signature warmth to the detailed sound (but WITHOUT the ATH signature harsh mid-hi range), so consider CK100 if you thought ER4P was too cold. The other thing that comes really close is the Stax Omega II with details comparable to that of CK100 but of course much better soundstage due to the inherent limitations of IEMs.

I don't even want to mention SE530, it is the worst >$3K earphone that I own. Recessed highs and shallow bass. Yes, its mid is lively and smooth but way too warm and colored. To me, I think ER4P is better than SE530. In comparison, the CK100's mids are even smoother and livelier than SE530 and at the same time so natural without sacrificing any detail.

I have made 2 very satisfactory purchases this week - Nokia N97 and CK100. I am sure the latter will last much longer with me though. Now I must get back to my CK100 coz they are such a comfort (due to its exterior design) and a treat to listen to. When I get home I will use my Cowon D2 to listen to it and post more thoughts. I can't imagine how good the sound would be after run-in!

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 104
i have to add that CK100 does a very good job for vocals. i nearly bought them after trying. they are 20-30% better than my phonaks IMO and smooth sounding which i like. not as cold and transparent er4p.

i just wish of a CK100 combine with IE8. :p

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #12 of 104
I'm very interested in these.
Westone um3x weren't what I expected and now I'm thinking of selling them and buying ck100. The westones' warmth is boring sometimes and they lack some highs sparkle in comparison with alessandro ms1 and altec lansing im716.
BUT I like their bass and the detail...
I'm soo confused

Users who are viewing this thread

Back