Ath-AD900 or Sennheiser HD598
Apr 29, 2011 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ballcall2

Head-Fier
I Don't know what headphone to choose to be my first audiophile grade headphone. I want the headphone to be good for classical music (especially piano), but also good for wathching movies from time to time. I can't afford right now an expensive amp (maybe asus essence stx or audinst) so I don't think that either the k702, dt880 or hd600 would be appropriate for me. So, help me choose my first (real) headphones. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 14
I don't know about these two cans in particular, but from what I do know from reading what others have said, both will perform well audibly I think. The fr graphs show them to be fairly close, however these graphs don't tell all by far. For example, tonal characteristics and soundstage can't be determined from these.

However, I have read a lot about how the Sennheiser is prone to having it's plastic break at a certain spot, so if I were to choose for myself between these two, I'd go for the AT.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 14
Ah, my two favorite dynamic headphones of all time.

I would say the HD598. It sounds more complete than the AD900. I would rate it's comfort as higher as well. Both are spectacular headphones though, and each have their own strengths. The AD900 is brighter and more aggressive than the HD598, and also has a bit bigger soundstage, yet it's bass is lacking in comparison. The HD598 simply has an addicting signature. It's Sennheiser's version of bright. Meaning, it has good energy as well, but it's smoother than the AD900. It's easier to listen to, and spikes into sibilance much less often. In fact, a thing I like about Sennheiser sound (HD558, HD598, HD650), is that I have NEVER been fatigued by any aspect of the sound, including treble. And that's extremely impressive especially for the HD598 because that is their "brighter than normal" headphone.

Overall, I really think you would love either one, but I really love the HD598. It simply does everything well, including movies and games.

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 14
From your comments, the decision looks even harder that I thought it will be. Unfortunately, I can't audition them because of a lack of time, so I will have to trust on your opinions 

. Any other reccomandations for headphones in this price range, that are good for classical music (like fa-003 or denon 2000)?

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 14

D2000 has a very good soundstage though. It almost sounds like an open headphone at times! D2000 I think would be fairly good for classical, but only with a desktop amp.
But I do agree that an open headphone is always better..
Quote:
I can't recommend closed cans to anyone who wants to enjoy classical.  The D2000 is a fine headphone but imo open cans are superior for realism and a sense of space.

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 14
I'd pick the HD-598. The AD900 is probably nice, but it may be either A) too large and loose or B) your ears rest against the driver
The HD-598 is one of the most comfortable headphones there is. If you have a small head, forget about the AD900 if it's anything like the AD700. I had to bend the AD700 a lot just to get it to fit.

I'd seriously suggest an amp with the 598. Even the E5 would help. It doesn't require one, but does like one to have decent bass. The HD-598 has a spike up to 275ohm for it's mid-bass!

If you want to eventually get a more expensive headphone, the $120 E9 can drive the K702, K601, DT-880 and HD-600 with ease. I don't really love it with my HD-650 and it's fairly good  (but not great) for the K702.

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
I'd pick the HD-598. The AD900 is probably nice, but it may be either A) too large and loose or B) your ears rest against the driver
The HD-598 is one of the most comfortable headphones there is. If you have a small head, forget about the AD900 if it's anything like the AD700. I had to bend the AD700 a lot just to get it to fit.

I'd seriously suggest an amp with the 598. Even the E5 would help. It doesn't require one, but does like one to have decent bass. The HD-598 has a spike up to 275ohm for it's mid-bass!

If you want to eventually get a more expensive headphone, the $120 E9 can drive the K702, K601, DT-880 and HD-600 with ease. I don't really love it with my HD-650 and it's fairly good  (but not great) for the K702.

Well so I think that I'll go for the hd598. But, if you think that e9 can drive all those headhpones, so do you think that I will better buy for example the dt880 and fiio e9? Because a lot of people tell that headphones like hd600, dt880,k702 need quite expensive amp (around 500$) which is way over my budget right now. But, I can certainly afford 100-200$ amp.

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Well so I think that I'll go for the hd598. But, if you think that e9 can drive all those headhpones, so do you think that I will better buy for example the dt880 and fiio e9? Because a lot of people tell that headphones like hd600, dt880,k702 need quite expensive amp (around 500$) which is way over my budget right now. But, I can certainly afford 100-200$ amp.

I would just stick with the 598 for now. There are better headphones than the 598, but they're much more picky about amps and often seem harder to like. I don't suggest the DT-880 unless you know what you're getting into. Some love it and some hate it. I personally like it, but the HD-598 is more fun to listen to. To me the DT-880 is just a side-grade kind of, but it does many things better than the HD-598, but for me isn't as fun to listen to. I also just prefer the mids on the HD-598 as well as it's soundstage. I must be the only one in the world who found the DT-880 uncomfortable.

The HD-600 is better in many areas compared to the 598, but it all comes down to preferences. The sound of the HD-600 is VERY slightly more clear, but on the stock cable has less treble (to me) and less forward mids. The HD-600's soundstage is much smaller and not nearly as good for gaming. HD-600 felt far more laid back than the HD-598.

The HD-650 is a huge upgrade from the HD-598, but it's very picky about amps. I didn't like it much from my $200 Asgard or E9 much. I think I'm starting to love it now that I got a better amp than the Asgard and E9.

I think between the HD-650, K702, HD-598, HD-600 and DT-880, the HD-598 is the easist to like. Maybe the HD-600 too, but it all comes to down what genres you listen to.

Another good alternative to the HD-598 is the K601, but it needs an E9 at the bare minimum. The K601 is $190 or so and it's signature is similar to the 598. I haven't decided which one I like better yet. K601 is very picky about amps it seems. The sound signature of the 598 feels a bit more smoother and easier to listen to all day. K601 might be slightly less laid back and maybe a little brighter. Both are very non-fatiguing I think.

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
this has nothing to do with SQ, but a lot of people are reporting cracking with their HD598s. Just a heads-up!

Well this is why you get warranty when you buy headphones...

I found used hd600 for 260$ in amazon, so should I just go for it? or should I buy the hd598 for now, enjoy it and when I'll have more money, get some more expensive headphones,dac and amp?

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
I would just stick with the 598 for now. There are better headphones than the 598, but they're much more picky about amps and often seem harder to like. I don't suggest the DT-880 unless you know what you're getting into. Some love it and some hate it. I personally like it, but the HD-598 is more fun to listen to. To me the DT-880 is just a side-grade kind of, but it does many things better than the HD-598, but for me isn't as fun to listen to. I also just prefer the mids on the HD-598 as well as it's soundstage. I must be the only one in the world who found the DT-880 uncomfortable.

I didn't think they were uncomfortable, but they were far from comfortable. The DT990 on the other hand was much more comfy.

Quote:
this has nothing to do with SQ, but a lot of people are reporting cracking with their HD598s. Just a heads-up!

Sennheiser supposedly fixed this, by shipping out HD598's with new headbands. And even if yours cracks, they have a 2-year replacement warranty.

Quote:
Well this is why you get warranty when you buy headphones...

I found used hd600 for 260$ in amazon, so should I just go for it? or should I buy the hd598 for now, enjoy it and when I'll have more money, get some more expensive headphones,dac and amp?

I like the HD598 more than I did the HD650. The added soundstage is a huge plus, as well as the comfort.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 14
Hey, guys, I was just wondering, which of these sound better without an amp?  From reading reviews, I get the impression that the HD598 needs an amp to really shine.  Haven't really seen anything along those lines about the AD900, so I'm looking for more feedback.  I don't plan on using an amp and I've narrowed my choices down to these two headphones.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back