ATH A900 or DT770pro80 vs SRH840
Oct 15, 2011 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

fender

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for new cans since my old and humble HD202 cable failure. I know the HD202 are like the lowest end model out there but I like the sound profile. I pretty much love the dark sound but I really hate the comfort level of the HD202. Given a budget of around $200, I am critically researching on which phones should I upgrade and it seems that I couldn't make a decision myself without help. I only tested SRH840 and I like the SQ but I think they're too analytical and the headband touches the top of my head, not too mention being heavy. So I could only take SRH840 as reference as I couldn't try out the A900 and DT770pro.

What I look for:
-Unamped!
-SQ = dark, warm, less sibilance, more lows and mids
-music I listen to is almost everything (I know it's not very helpful)
-I watch movies a lot using headphones, but I don't care about explosions and stuffs because I prefer good conversation tonal quality!
-Comfortness (between A900 and DT770, I'll pick the ones that suit my ears), pads must be around ears and my ears must not touch the drivers.
-budget = sub $200
-must be closed phones

What I think:

SRH840 = Nice SQ but too analytical and lack lower end, less comfort, I love their detachable cables. Will my ears get tired from them being analytical?

A900 = good soundstage, but are they too bright? lack of lower ends?

DT770 = bass too overwhelming? 

The main problem I have now is which SQ suits me well, between A900 and DT770. Are both mid-recessed? Can someone compare the mids on both phones?
I want to avoid Senns. Other recommendation? I would like to keep discussion between these models because I live in Australia, headphone models are limited.

Oct 15, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 15
the dt770 pro are not for you, they are definitely basshead cans with recessed mids, i loved the bass but prefered the more warm and balanced sound of the hd 650s.

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
The HD650s are beyond my budget. 
Are the DT770pro really bad when unamped?

As you are not getting a headphone amplifier, I would stick to the ATH-A900s.
The DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm are nice, great bass, but I would not use them with portable devices.

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 15
the dt 770 pro would work ok with portable, but not recommended, i've heard them and they lose alot of detail and the bass weakens out of an ipod.

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #6 of 15
The ATH-A900 is a terrible headphone... Very bright and shouty, recessed mids, lack of treble....

Between the SRH-840 and the DT770 Pro... I would have a hard time choosing. I've had both and loved them. Maybe I would choose the DT770 Pro because is less forgiving and a little more balanced, being able to reproduce the bass frequencies better than the SRH-840. Also is more comfortable.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
The ATH-A900 is a terrible headphone... Very bright and shouty, recessed mids, lack of treble....

Between the SRH-840 and the DT770 Pro... I would have a hard time choosing. I've had both and loved them. Maybe I would choose the DT770 Pro because is less forgiving and a little more balanced, being able to reproduce the bass frequencies better than the SRH-840. Also is more comfortable.

I really doubt A900's SQ. I'm getting mixed reviews about they're SQ. If they're brighter and more sibilance than DT770Pro, I'll pick the latter. But I know both have very different sound signature. I'm kind of could imagine the DT770pro's sound coming from my previous 'dark' phones. My perception upon SRH840 they are more warm with great clarity and airines. I also think that AT900 and SRH840 are more lean towards 'bright' and more front-ing sound. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I still haven't decided yet. Probably would go DT770 without amp. If only the SRH840 have better design and lighter...

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:

I really doubt A900's SQ. I'm getting mixed reviews about they're SQ. If they're brighter and more sibilance than DT770Pro, I'll pick the latter. But I know both have very different sound signature. I'm kind of could imagine the DT770pro's sound coming from my previous 'dark' phones. My perception upon SRH840 they are more warm with great clarity and airines. I also think that AT900 and SRH840 are more lean towards 'bright' and more front-ing sound. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I still haven't decided yet. Probably would go DT770 without amp. If only the SRH840 have better design and lighter...

The people try to confuse sibilance with high revealing headphone. If you use the DT770 Pro with bad recordings, it will be unlistenable, because it will reveal all the faults.

The 840 is less revealing, but also will be affected by poor recordings.

If I were you, I will choose the DT770 Pro. Superb comfort and superb sound, with the SRH-840 in second place and the ATH-A900 discarded. You can always buy in a shop with return option and try the three.

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 15
How about saving a few dollars and get the Panasonic RP-HTTF600-S, with Velour pads, about $55-$60 total.
Or wait a month, Audio Technica is coming out with the new A700X and A900X.

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
The people try to confuse sibilance with high revealing headphone. If you use the DT770 Pro with bad recordings, it will be unlistenable, because it will reveal all the faults.

If I were you, I will choose the DT770 Pro. Superb comfort and superb sound, with the SRH-840 in second place and the ATH-A900 discarded. You can always buy in a shop with return option and try the three.

Thanks. I think I'm leaning towards DT770pro more now.

Quote:
How about saving a few dollars and get the Panasonic RP-HTTF600-S, with Velour pads, about $55-$60 total.
Or wait a month, Audio Technica is coming out with the new A700X and A900X.

I couldn't find the Panasonic model in Australia. A900X really tempting with new housing and I bet they will be big soon but they're going to be higher than my budget.
I noticed that as DT770pro user yourself, you didn't recommend them to me last time, are they too bad when unamped?

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:

this is exactly how i hear them as well.  Can't go wrong with either especially at the prices they can be purchased for currently.
the only thing is if you aren't going to be amping i would take the 840 over the 770.
Neither are very sibilant.  and the 770 pro are a tad more revealing.

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 15
I still have no idea how the DT770pro are going to sound like, but I have made an order for a pair. I chose them for their comfortness and durability. If I can't get over the sound, I might have to sell them. Fingers crossed. Now I'm off to find a decent amp. Anyway, thanks guys.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
this is exactly how i hear them as well.  Can't go wrong with either especially at the prices they can be purchased for currently.
the only thing is if you aren't going to be amping i would take the 840 over the 770.
Neither are very sibilant.  and the 770 pro are a tad more revealing.

all beyerdynamic headphones are quite revealing, i just noticed this morning on my dt 990s that if i play mp3 vs lossless and/or poorly recorded songs, that the beyers will sound veiled and the mids become recessed. they will reveal any flaws in the recording and will only sound their best coming from a good source + amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back