Asus Essence One or O2/ODAC Combo for HD650
Nov 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:
With USB, most DACs are limited to 24-bit 96 khz which is DVD quality and then some. The coax can take you to 24-bit 196 khz, but this doesn't matter if you aren't listening to Blu-Rays. If you are just jamming out to your headphones, your music is most likely from a 16-bit, 44.1 khz source anyway, so the added resolution from digital connections is not necessarily a big plus.

so if i just insert my headphone (any) into the S/PDIF headphone jack it will give me 16-bit, 44.1khz most likely on my laptop.

what about if i insert it with an Optical line from a Dac? e.g.  DAC->Optical line->Laptop?

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #17 of 21
Because you are using a windows computer, you can control the bit and sampling rate by right-clicking on your volume meter > Playback Devices > Select Speakers and click "properties" > Advanced Tab > Choose from available bit rate and depth. By Default, I keep mine set to 24-bit, 44.1 khz, but set this manually to a different rate depending on what I am doing.

*There is no point in choosing a bit / sample rate higher than can be supported by the source.

SO, with a computer YOU can control the output. With an external USB/DAC combo this should be the same (though I have not tried one yet so I am not sure). I am just adding that, for listening to music, you needn't worry too much about the bit depth / sample rate, unless you want to switch it based on what you are doing (Music, DVD, Blu-Ray, maybe Gaming).

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #18 of 21
I have the Xonar Essence One paired with the HD650's & I must say I'm very happy with it. It has no problem driving the headphones & I can hear everything the way it should be even at low volumes.

I haven't tried Asus internal cards but went for the Essence one as I was fed up with EMI from my Creative XFi Titanium champion series card. I think that card is about on Par with the Higher end Asus internal cards but lacks the headphone amp. No matter how good your internal sound card is EMI can ruin your listening experience, the external DAC has certainly solved that issue for me.

I can't say anything of the other DAC you mentioned but would have no hesitation in recommending the Essence One with those cans.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #19 of 21
If he gets either DAC & connects via USB I believe both support the use of an ASIO driver. This will completely bypass all the windows mixing stuff. On the Asus you get a cool little indicator saying Bit-Perfect when using the ASIO driver.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:
If you use an S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) connection to the Z-5500, you will always use the DAC that is built into the Z-5500,
no matter what other nice DAC your using in another device, like the great DAC in the Essence One.

Quote:
If you use an S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) connection to the Z-5500, you will always use the DAC that is built into the Z-5500,
no matter what other nice DAC your using in another device, like the great DAC in the Essence One.

Then get an external DAC/head amp. that can connect optically with the Xonar DX/D1 optical output.
Like the NFB-12.1 DAC/Amp.

Total around $330.

Why would i need to get an external DAC/Head Amp after * EVEN IF * i installed asus xonar dx into my PC? wouldnt the external DAC/Headamp bypass the asus xonar dx?

I have Mayflowers O2+Asus DX with beyer 990 PRO.... is there any interference using ODAC with Asus DX? Does it improve my sound quality?
How can I use S/PDIF with Asus DX and ODAC?

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #21 of 21
+1 on the Asus Essence One it is an upgrade up from the STX and it comes with balanced xlr on the back perfect for some active speakers. And there is room for upgrades on the way if you want it to become even better sounding.

Might depend on where you live, for me the O2 and ODAC costs around the same as the Asus Essence One as I have to pay 25% + 40$ on stuff from outside Norway. Only downside is that the the One is big so it is not so fun moving around with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back