Asus eeePC as audio player?
Nov 27, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #16 of 94
I'm wondering how easily can it be adapted as the network audio "station" of sorts, where it picks up audio file via WIFI and play it back via USB... This is cheaper than squeeze box and it got huge screens, which comes in handy for people who sit quite a bit of distance away from their stereo rack :p

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #17 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering how easily can it be adapted as the network audio "station" of sorts, where it picks up audio file via WIFI and play it back via USB... This is cheaper than squeeze box and it got huge screens, which comes in handy for people who sit quite a bit of distance away from their stereo rack :p

Yes, the EEE picked up my Firefly Server DAAP share in Amarok automatically.

The screen is 7", but it will not be easier to read than a Squeezebox from any distance.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #18 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the EEE picked up my Firefly Server DAAP share in Amarok automatically.

The screen is 7", but it will not be easier to read than a Squeezebox from any distance.

Actually I have more problem focusing on the VFD myself, the 7 inch LCD should allow huge chars that is easily readable over a distance.

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #19 of 94
I just ordered one of these suckers and should have it in a couple weeks. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Nov 27, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #20 of 94
The eee is just a tiny 900mhz x86 laptop with 3 usb ports.

Sooo... plan:

External 2.5" usb harddrive with flac -> EEE PC running amarok or something -> Headroom Total Bithead -> headphones

= portable (2kg? lugable?) lossless computer audio system.

Although the battery life probably wouldn't be that great, given that both the amp/dac and the HD are usb powered (maybe copy files to onboard storage before listening?).

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #21 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sooo... plan:

External 2.5" usb harddrive with flac -> EEE PC running amarok or something -> Headroom Total Bithead -> headphones

Although the battery life probably wouldn't be that great, given that both the amp/dac and the HD are usb powered (maybe copy files to onboard storage before listening?).

The copying files to onboard is a good idea. Although the pc can be used with it's charger plugged in.

regards,

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #22 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the EEE PC as my secondary laptop. I have a laptop for work, but I don't like to carry it with me everywhere.

I like easy mode because of the quick boot time. You can launch any installed programs from terminal in easy mode. There is no learning curve for this thing, everything works on first boot. I installed Hamachi VPN on it and can now pick up my network shares and secure web proxy from anywhere.

It takes standard laptop ram, but an added SD card will give you more drive space.

It plays OGG files fine:

Would you mind checking to see if the headphone jack is also optical out?
Thanks!!

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #23 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The copying files to onboard is a good idea. Although the pc can be used with it's charger plugged in.

regards,

Depending on what you use as an external drive, though, it may not be too much of a problem. Some DAPs have different settings that can disable pulling power from the USB connection. My Cowon A2 has a selector switch that sets it to either work as a drive taking all of it's power from the battery and none from USB, another for taking partial power from USB, and another that switches the device off completely and trickle-charges the battery. With the iriver H120, the device CAN be charged from the USB port, but only with a special cable, since the charging is on a different port on the device. Not sure how other devices might work in this manner. Though, admittedly, it would probably be better to use an SDHC card with the eeePC than a USB drive, if only for portability rather than power usage concerns.

Nov 27, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #24 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you mind checking to see if the headphone jack is also optical out?
Thanks!!

No it is just a headphone jack.

Nov 27, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #25 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depending on what you use as an external drive, though, it may not be too much of a problem. Some DAPs have different settings that can disable pulling power from the USB connection. My Cowon A2 has a selector switch that sets it to either work as a drive taking all of it's power from the battery and none from USB, another for taking partial power from USB, and another that switches the device off completely and trickle-charges the battery. With the iriver H120, the device CAN be charged from the USB port, but only with a special cable, since the charging is on a different port on the device. Not sure how other devices might work in this manner. Though, admittedly, it would probably be better to use an SDHC card with the eeePC than a USB drive, if only for portability rather than power usage concerns.

I am using a 160gb external hard disk that powers from the usb. On it I have my encoded music + pictures + some files and programs I want to have with me.If I used it to listen to music this would use the battery power of the asus eee unnecessarily.
I have many Sd cards, and an 8gb SDHC I use with my D2 that could be use with the asus eee instead.

regards,

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #26 of 94
If only they had kept the price down. The prices they are going for in the UK make them very unappealing when compared to a cheap laptop. The 4gb and 512mb memory along with the stupid resolution - something like 800 x 420 - are all far too limited for the price.
If they had been around $300 they might have done well enough but who, apart from a few gadget freaks will buy one and put up with having to scroll like mad just to browse the web?

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #27 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sooo... plan:

set the laptop to run at low power and close the lid, this will shut off the LCD's inverter. IMHO, this is one of the heaviest power consumer and EMI generator. This should allow longer play time and cleaner sound.

I tried that when I had my Asus M2400 notebook and it worked pretty well at 600MHz
smily_headphones1.gif
, Playing all FLAC files no less.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #28 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by murfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If only they had kept the price down. The prices they are going for in the UK make them very unappealing when compared to a cheap laptop.

Um if you are comparing this thing to a cheap/discounted laptop you are missing the point!
wink.gif
It weighs under 2 pounds and is smaller and lighter than the paper notebook I used to record notes in.

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #29 of 94
It would be an excellent audio player if anyone can find a linux alternative to Acers audio DJ (play music without booting). A hard disk drive DAP in one of the USB ports and a Alien DAC plugged in another connected to an amp/cans. Perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back