Asus eeePC as audio player?
Nov 29, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #31 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about running XP and winamp, is the 4GB HD big enough?

If you are really careful that is, and since XP eats away about 250MB of RAM after it boots (Unless you got a XP embedded kit stashed somewhere that can built yourself a slim version of XP), it might be a challenge to use it when you have some "Real Purpose(tm)" for it other than music playback. :p

4GB for storage should be enough, the real problem is the RAM... :p

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #32 of 94
It's not hugely lighter than the likes of a 1.1kg 12" screen laptop like a Sony vaio G. Yes it's a lot cheaper and a little smaller (except the thickness which is slightly larger) but a lot more limited - no optical drive or hd and the battery life isn't great.
Why couldn't they have made the screen a little larger, higher res and released it with a bit more storage space? That would have made it usable but at the moment it's like using an old 640x480 res pda in a larger format.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #33 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by murfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not hugely lighter than the likes of a 1.1kg 12" screen laptop like a Sony vaio G. Yes it's a lot cheaper and a little smaller (except the thickness which is slightly larger) but a lot more limited - no optical drive or hd and the battery life isn't great.
Why couldn't they have made the screen a little larger, higher res and released it with a bit more storage space? That would have made it usable but at the moment it's like using an old 640x480 res pda in a larger format.

I think I saw the spec somewhere about a "top of the line" EeePC that have 9" screen, 1GB RAM and 8GB flash... at about double the price. Not sure when are they releasing it tho, my guess is that they will wait till the market fever is over for the entry model, and milk it for a second time with higher end version... :p

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #36 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what could be install or mod to get this pc to be an audio player?

Actually, it should work pretty well with the stock install. Amarok is a pretty nice music app, honestly. ReplayGain, gapless, FLAC, OGG, M4A, MP3, etc. are all supported. And Xandros will take up much less resources than Windows XP and Foobar2000.

Only thing you really need is an SDHC card to store your music on.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #37 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are really careful that is, and since XP eats away about 250MB of RAM after it boots (Unless you got a XP embedded kit stashed somewhere that can built yourself a slim version of XP), it might be a challenge to use it when you have some "Real Purpose(tm)" for it other than music playback. :p

Spoiled kid? I have users that do real work (TM) on XP boxes with that much RAM. You just have to configure it... it's the apps and not the OS that are going to eat your RAM. People have been known to run XP on 128MB boxes as well but I wouldn't want to put my users through that.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #38 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spoiled kid? I have users that do real work (TM) on XP boxes with that much RAM. You just have to configure it... it's the apps and not the OS that are going to eat your RAM. People have been known to run XP on 128MB boxes as well but I wouldn't want to put my users through that.

512MB with XP is enough unless the users does a lot I/O heavy stuff or multitasking. I have a 6-year old 1.2ghz Athlon TB with 512MB RAM that runs XP pretty damn well.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #39 of 94
Okay - burning question - maybe a crazy question but I would love to know.

Will this support a USB / to coax or optical converter like the trends or the USB super pro (both of which only seem to list windows and mac as plug and play)?

Because if there is a usb-> optical converter that this can use, I'll pick up one to go into a Shek dac and another to go directly digital in into a little panny digital receiver I use with speakers.

Seriously and help would really be appreciated - thanks!

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #40 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I saw the spec somewhere about a "top of the line" EeePC that have 9" screen, 1GB RAM and 8GB flash... at about double the price. Not sure when are they releasing it tho, my guess is that they will wait till the market fever is over for the entry model, and milk it for a second time with higher end version... :p

It will supposedly have a 10" screen and will be available next year. Asus first confirmed it, then denied confirming it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by murfy
Why couldn't they have made the screen a little larger, higher res and released it with a bit more storage space?

Because then it would cost $500. If you want a bigger screen and bigger hard drive, then you're looking for a different product with an arguably already saturated market. here are several under $500. Step your budget up another couple hundred dollars and you can get dozens of different ones. It's definitely disappointing that the price on these is higher than Asus baited us with, but so far, there is no other product that does so much for that price. You can bet it will only go down in the next few months, especially once the bigger ones come out early next year. Truly full-featured ultra-portables are still $1500-2000. The EeePC fills a market niche that I think definitely needed filling.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #41 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedpoet /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Because then it would cost $500. If you want a bigger screen and bigger hard drive, then you're looking for a different product with an arguably already saturated market. here are several under $500. Step your budget up another couple hundred dollars and you can get dozens of different ones. It's definitely disappointing that the price on these is higher than Asus baited us with, but so far, there is no other product that does so much for that price. You can bet it will only go down in the next few months, especially once the bigger ones come out early next year. Truly full-featured ultra-portables are still $1500-2000. The EeePC fills a market niche that I think definitely needed filling.

The price is nearly $500 over here now! That's the problem as it's far too close to cheap laptops. The difference between lower end laptops like the hp530 and the asus at some shops over here is under £40 which will probably limit their sales.

There is plenty room for a slightly bigger screen as the current one doesn't fill the case and even that wouldn't be so bad if they'd have used a slightly higher res screen instead of one that's only a little better than a vga 3.5" pda.

4gb was a bit of a strange choice given the fact that 8gb and 16gb is standard for flash based media players now so, surely the price of 4gb wouldn't have been much different to 8gb to the likes of Asus?

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #42 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay - burning question - maybe a crazy question but I would love to know.

Will this support a USB / to coax or optical converter like the trends or the USB super pro (both of which only seem to list windows and mac as plug and play)?

Because if there is a usb-> optical converter that this can use, I'll pick up one to go into a Shek dac and another to go directly digital in into a little panny digital receiver I use with speakers.

Seriously and help would really be appreciated - thanks!

I can absolutely confirm that the EeePC works with the Trends USB transport as I am listening to that combo as I type this. I simply plugged in the cable and changed the output device in Amarok (included in the default install). I can't imagine how it could get any simpler.

The EeePC is a fantastic device for "regular" computing needs. I have a much more powerful laptop, but haven't touched it since I received this little wonder. It's hard to explain, but I actually prefer the small screen as I find myself focused on the task at hand rather than distracted by all of the other windows, icons, applications, etc. People who think the EeePC will replace their desktop computer are likely to be disappointed, but it truly is remarkable how much you can get done with such a tiny device.

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #43 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can absolutely confirm that the EeePC works with the Trends USB transport as I am listening to that combo as I type this. I simply plugged in the cable and changed the output device in Amarok (included in the default install). I can't imagine how it could get any simpler.

The EeePC is a fantastic device for "regular" computing needs. I have a much more powerful laptop, but haven't touched it since I received this little wonder. It's hard to explain, but I actually prefer the small screen as I find myself focused on the task at hand rather than distracted by all of the other windows, icons, applications, etc. People who think the EeePC will replace their desktop computer are likely to be disappointed, but it truly is remarkable how much you can get done with such a tiny device.

Can't tell from the picture if on the Trends USB the headphone jack is for
1/4" or 1/8" plug.

Also how is the headphone amp?

regards,

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #44 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thank you!
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #45 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it is just a headphone jack.

Thanks for checking! Too bad, huh!
biggrin.gif
I guess they have to keep costs down!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back