Astrotec AX60 | Thoughts, Reviews, and Tour Impressions
Dec 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #93 of 126
I'm very sorry for the time it took. I now live perpetually behind The Schedule. I hope I didn't spoil any pre 2013 close hopefuls.

And I hope these phones get used and loved heaps.

I use and love them on a daily basis. I enjoyed your review, and mostly concur with your impressions. So far, I have luckily not had any problems with fit. The soundstage on these is certainly addictive!

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #94 of 126
  I have finally, finally finished my review of the AX60.

As always, excellently written and most entertaining! 
smile_phones.gif

Btw (just in case you put it there to test us 
wink.gif
), I didn't really get the "It’s a bit warm. But it’s not analytical." part.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #95 of 126

I have finally, finally finished my review of the AX60. I went shorter (maybe not sweeter) than usual. I hope it is helpful. I've come up with a bit more porridge than I had at first for a few simple reasons.

Overall, it remains one of my favourite earphones for its sound- at least when I can get that fit stays and is tight. The paint on my blue model is rubbing away. The fit is poor. But the sound is so damn impressive for what it is. Very very good. I digs it. 

Nice impressions. I don't know what tips you are using, but what works for me is finding the widest silicon tips (with a wide bore) that you possibly can to hold the body of the earphone in place. I use that little split at the bottom of the inner earlobe to let the pointy part of the earphone's body (where the cable is connection occurs) hang out a bit. Or I twist it upward slightly and let the pointy part rest just inside of the inner earlobe. Perfect fit with little discomfort. I use the UE900 silicon tips to give me the best fit while not disturbing the sound. And I use the neutral filters.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #96 of 126
Now if you love the AX-60 that much, shigzeo, wait until you hear the ATH-IM70. To me it's like a baby brother to the AX-60, with a little bit more clarity and forwardness in the mids. The sound you get for the price will amaze you! This is definitely a gift to audiophiles from AT at a very affordable price. It doesn't beat the AX-60, but it's very close in details, and it gives a wide sound too (dual dynamic). 

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #97 of 126

As always, excellently written and most entertaining! 
smile_phones.gif

Btw (just in case you put it there to test us 
wink.gif
), I didn't really get the "It’s a bit warm. But it’s not analytical." part.

I thought he was trying to say it's not that warm of a sound, but not a cooler analytical sound either. Usually reviewers put earphones in one camp or the other (warm or analytical), but I think there is an "in-between" sound that's not quite either. That's my guess (and how I hear it), but I could be wrong...lol. So let me stop pretending like I'm inside of his head.

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #98 of 126

I thought he was trying to say it's not that warm of a sound, but not a cooler analytical sound either. Usually reviewers put earphones in one camp or the other (warm or analytical), but I think there is an "in-between" sound that's not quite either. That's my guess (and how I hear it), but I could be wrong...lol. So let me stop pretending like I'm inside of his head.

@James: Eric got it. I started out with a line saying something like 'in between' sound and got off track. I suppose I need to put that back. Because literally, AX60 isn't analytical and it isn't overly warm. It's a sound that is on two feet at once, but neither with a very heavy gait.

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #99 of 126
Well, this is a first for any expensive item I've ever bought, but the right phone of the AX-60 just completely blew out on me (not an ounce of sound). Wow! I was really digging this earphone, and was listening through it while my IM70 is on burn-in. Oh well, I don't think I want to risk it again at the price, so I'm trying to get a refund from bigbargainonline. Wish me luck. The owner seems cool so we'll see how this goes. I'm very disappointed, but I've been lucky in this hobby for the most part.

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #100 of 126
Sorry for not providing an update faster. I received them a few days ago but got super tied up at work. Just put these on...

My initial thoughts:

OMG What What What What

What What What What What

I'll write up something more serious over the weekend.

P.S.

What

Dec 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #105 of 126
I would like to express my appreciation for being given the honor to be on the tour list. Although sometimes I feel certain things are sent to me for a reason. I know now that certain people wanted to send the K3003 to me for a reason. Counterpoint is good.

OK, so here's the deal. I still consider myself a relative noob when it comes to IEMs and such. I don't know what Sonare, Knuckles, CFUK, or TWEEB mean. No do I care. I also do not follow standard or accepted IEM review impression protocol. Again, mainly because I am an IEM noob and don't post in this area much. And don't care to write much.

I mostly listen to speakers. Then headphones. On occasional when I travel, my custom IEMs. I own the UERM. I may apply EQ to it. I may not. It depends upon my mood. I'm not necessary a a big fan of BA drivers, but the UERM sounds cohesive. It's sounds together. In fact, I've heard most of UE's range, and their stuff sounds "together" in regardless of frequency response. I have heard other IEM brands which do so not sound as "together" as UE. I will not name them because many of them are newer players and I don't want to be responsible for causing anything to die.

I wish I knew nothing about the AX60's relation to the K3003. I'm still not sure about the exact details because I immediately stopped reading. In fact, I still have not read anything in this thread with the exception of a small part of the introductory portion in the first post, and the tour list on the second post.

A few years ago, my assessment of the K3003 was "FAIL". This was based on testicles busting price, less than optimal integration of the dynamic bass driver, i.e. "slow, a step behind", and an annoying mid upper-treble peak (with the treble filter), or mediocre technicalities (with the reference filter). I think now in late 2013, I probably wouldn't be so harsh. Back then, I was really concerned with rapid escalation in prices. (I'm old-school Asian, so I never pay full price. Most Americans, unless they are the older ones who have gone to war, like to pay high prices. In fact, they insist on paying even higher prices because it shows they are "winners", just like Charlie Sheen.)  It's clear in 2013 that I've lost that personal war.

So this is where it's suddenly going to get much less interesting. If I thought the K3003's bass was slow, a step behind - akin to the Martin Logan CLX speaker's subwoofer - which is kinda slow, but really not that bad, the AX60's bass is on a whole 'nother level and universe step behind. No words can describe how disturbing and maddening this was to me. Hence my initial impressions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/681403/astrotec-ax60-thoughts-reviews-and-tour-impressions/90#post_10040753

The frequency response was not to my preference, but I understand and even appreciate it's tuning. A nice warmth which reaches well into the mids, a tad sizzly and sibilant. A good smack on snares and bite on trumpets. At least the warmth helps balance the treble. One thing I did like was how the low-mid bass wasn't over-emphasized. Too much of a pounding from too many other IEMs with Bob Marley. I appreciate the AX60 for not overdoing the low-mid bass.

The silver lining is that I was eventually, after continued forced listening, able to get use to the slow bass which seemed to be like 1 second behind (I'm exaggerating, but you guys get the point). It's OK. As long as I don't compare it to anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back