Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Feb 2, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #2,538 of 2,727
Hi guys,

I’ve managed to successfully side-load Tidal onto my SR15 (Firmware 1.41 and Tidal APK version 2.30.0) and it’s starting up fine, but when I try to log in with my username and password I just keep getting an error message.Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ewan

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #2,539 of 2,727
Hi guys,

I’ve managed to successfully side-load Tidal onto my SR15 (Firmware 1.41 and Tidal APK version 2.30.0) and it’s starting up fine, but when I try to log in with my username and password I just keep getting an error message.Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ewan
have you tried the previous version of Tidal, mine runs firmware 1.41 & Tidal 2.28.1 just fine

Feb 13, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #2,540 of 2,727
have you tried the previous version of Tidal, mine runs firmware 1.41 & Tidal 2.28.1 just fine

Thanks for coming back to me on this. Yeah, I'd tried a whole range of Tidal Versions and kept getting the same problem. However, I emailed Tidal support about it and they passed it to their tech people. I haven't heard back from them, but suddenly today I was able to log in to Version 2.31.0 which I had not been able to get into before. No idea if that's just luck or they did something with my account and haven't told me yet. I'm intrigued to know if a more recent version would also work, but having spent ages on this I'm too scared to risk trying a new one and getting locked out again :)

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #2,541 of 2,727
This is my first post and I have read through this thread to see if I can find answers to my questions, but unless I missed something they are not here. I think my ability to post may be restricted as a new subscriber but I will get back on here as soon as I can.

I would be very grateful for some advice from any other SR15 users in the same situation as me. I am using a MacBook with Android File Transfer. Music files are Apple Lossless in Music (it may or may not be relevant that before Apple Music my Mac functioned with iTunes). My main motivation is to transfer ripped CDs onto the SR15 and be able to listen to them on the move via headphones or in the car. I will also try using Apple Music streaming on the SR15 but not immediately while I'm at home.

I can successfully transfer the music files onto the SR15 but I have a couple of problems:
1. No album artwork is transferred with the music file. Album artwork is generally available in Music on the MacBook, but on the SR15 all albums just have the generic image. Can anyone advise on this please - it's very frustrating even if touching the generic image does produce track info.

2. I cannot figure out how the file structure on Android File Transfer relates to the structure on the SR15. How I structure the folders on the Android File Transfer seems to be mirrored in the SR15 folders section. However, I cannot see how that structure relates to the music options on the SR15 (this is the page with AK Connect at the top). I assume that the SR15 is using the embedded data in the music file to allocate albums/tracks to these buttons, but it's not very helpful and it is more straightforward to access music via the 'folders' button. For example, in Android File Transfer there is a set folder called playlists and I uploaded a two CD compilation of the Animals into this folder (reassigning the tracks so that the numbering reflects the sequence on CDs 1 and 2). Via Folders/Playlists on the SR15 this structure is reproduced.

However, on the general menu when I click on 'Album' the two CDs are separated. Similarly if I go via 'Artists/Animals' the two albums are again separated. This means that via 'Folders' is the only route by which a multi CD set can be played continuously through. Of course 'Playlists' means something entirely different on this menu and I understand I can build personalised playlists using this facility.

There is also a button identified as 'CD library' and nothing appears there - what is it for?

If anyone could explain the vagaries of file transfer between Mac and A&K I would be very grateful It may just be a limitation of the interconnection between MacOS and Android, but if there's any way of being more in control it would be helpful.

Many thanks.

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #2,542 of 2,727
Hi
Read up to page 21, then tried a search but couldn't find an answer.....

I've been pretty happy with my AK70 Mkii paired with Forza (balanced) cable & CA Andromedas (OG) for the last 3yrs now, listening to mostly ripped CD's (400gb of flac) with a few Hi-Res downloads. Love it for it's portability, not so fond of battery life, sound quality is pretty good but I'm wondering if I'm missing out.

Just how much of a sonic leap is there from the AK70 Mkii to the sr15?

Thanks

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #2,543 of 2,727
@Clivedb
Regarding artwork - you should embed the cover directly into audio files.
On Windows you may do this using Foobar2000, TagScanner or some other audio player / tag editor. I guess, there are some utilities on Mac as well.

About that 2CDs compilation - if all files from 2 CDs are located in the same folder (e.g. "/Music/Animals/Awesome Compilation"), then Folders navigation will obviously work as you want.
Artist and Albums navigation is based on corresponding tags.
I guess, files from 1st CD have Album Title tag "Awesome Compilation CD1" and files from 2nd CD - "Awesome Complilation CD2", that's why they are separated.
Or maybe they have same value in Album Title tag ("Awesome Compilation"), but different values (1 and 2) in Disc Number tag, and A&K's soft separates albums in such case as well (not sure).
In both cases you may adjust those tags in tag editor (clear Disc Number and make Album Title the same), and I would expect the same result as with navigation by Folders.

CD Library button is probably dedicated to CDs ripped by A&K CD Ripper. Not super important feature :).

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #2,544 of 2,727
@Clivedb
Regarding artwork - you should embed the cover directly into audio files.
On Windows you may do this using Foobar2000, TagScanner or some other audio player / tag editor. I guess, there are some utilities on Mac as well.

About that 2CDs compilation - if all files from 2 CDs are located in the same folder (e.g. "/Music/Animals/Awesome Compilation"), then Folders navigation will obviously work as you want.
Artist and Albums navigation is based on corresponding tags.
I guess, files from 1st CD have Album Title tag "Awesome Compilation CD1" and files from 2nd CD - "Awesome Complilation CD2", that's why they are separated.
Or maybe they have same value in Album Title tag ("Awesome Compilation"), but different values (1 and 2) in Disc Number tag, and A&K's soft separates albums in such case as well (not sure).
In both cases you may adjust those tags in tag editor (clear Disc Number and make Album Title the same), and I would expect the same result as with navigation by Folders.

CD Library button is probably dedicated to CDs ripped by A&K CD Ripper. Not super important feature :).
Many thanks for your advice - I'll follow it up.

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #2,546 of 2,727
Mar 3, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #2,547 of 2,727
@JasonNYC

Is the SR15 included in the next round of firmware updates?

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #2,548 of 2,727
Morning everyone,
Just purchased a SR15 and very happy with it so far. Had some issues with playlists on Macs which I have now resolved thankfully. Currently using some ie80's unbalanced which sound very good to me, have just purchased my first balanced cable for these to compare the differences (never heard/used anything balanced before).

Got a few questions which I'm hoping people are able to answer.
- Can sort albums by artist name? At the moment am navigating by folder view.
- Is SR15 firmware still actively being developed? Just thinking about long term
- Find that my CX400BT buds are very quiet compared to 3.5mm, is this normal? Have turned volume up all to max on buds then adjust via SR15.
- IEM upgrades? Am a Sennheiser fan with bass tones, was looking at ie300, ie400. ie800 out of my price range.

Thanks

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #2,549 of 2,727
Morning everyone,
Just purchased a SR15 and very happy with it so far. Had some issues with playlists on Macs which I have now resolved thankfully. Currently using some ie80's unbalanced which sound very good to me, have just purchased my first balanced cable for these to compare the differences (never heard/used anything balanced before).

- Is SR15 firmware still actively being developed? Just thinking about long term
- Find that my CX400BT buds are very quiet compared to 3.5mm, is this normal? Have turned volume up all to max on buds then adjust via SR15.
- IEM upgrades? Am a Sennheiser fan with bass tones, was looking at ie300, ie400. ie800 out of my price range.

Thanks

Maybe mis-read but the SR25 has a volume limiter which is set to 'ON', if the SR15 has the same it can be found & switched off via Menu > Settings > Volume Limit.

I have a pair of ie80S iems with 2.5mm balanced Forza Hybrid cable stashed away somewhere, was quite happy with them prior to paying silly money for a pair of Andromedas

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #2,550 of 2,727
Morning everyone,

Thanks
Glad you are enjoying the SR15 and have sorted out the playlist issues. It took me a long time to get the artwork for albums transferred from my Mac. On my SR15 if I select 'Artist' any available albums are shown there. Otherwise the albums folder just shows albums by alphabetical order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back