Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Apr 16, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #2,566 of 2,727
Anyone else having similar issues?
Don't know because I can't enable USB mode on my sr15 :tired_face: never tried it before so I don't know if it has ever worked.

Also deezer doesn't work. I subscribed for free premium trial but when I try to log in the screen just refreshes. No notifications. Same thing happens if I try random username. No "wrong password" or anything...just a refresh.

Apr 16, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #2,567 of 2,727
Don't know because I can't enable USB mode on my sr15 :tired_face: never tried it before so I don't know if it has ever worked.

Also deezer doesn't work. I subscribed for free premium trial but when I try to log in the screen just refreshes. No notifications. Same thing happens if I try random username. No "wrong password" or anything...just a refresh.

No Tidal, no Deezer, now I can't even login to Tunein for some reason... and no Roon! At least Qobuz is still working...

Update: Had to use Facebook login for Tunein.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #2,568 of 2,727
Don't know because I can't enable USB mode on my sr15 :tired_face:
Do You mean connecting the Player as transport to an amplifier?
If Yes that Is awful. Tested the SE100/200 through this mode and they Stop playing every couple minutes. SA700 works without Problems, but this Player hasn't received the recente update yet. So maybe It depends on that? Unfortunately I haven't tested It before the update...

Apr 16, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #2,569 of 2,727
Do You mean connecting the Player as transport to an amplifier?
If Yes that Is awful. Tested the SE100/200 through this mode and they Stop playing every couple minutes. SA700 works without Problems, but this Player hasn't received the recente update yet. So maybe It depends on that? Unfortunately I haven't tested It before the update...
I can't connect it to my pc so I could transfer the APK files. It's stuck on charge only. Nothing happens with the USB mode icon. It is set to disk but the icon stays grey. My tablet does not recognize sr15 either. I can open the menu where I could choose transfer files on the tablet but that setting is inactive. Maybe I just dont know how to operate this thing.

Tidal on ak connect does not work either. Can't log in. Playing flac with ak connect does work so that much is positive. :)

Apr 16, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #2,570 of 2,727
I can't connect it to my pc so I could transfer the APK files. It's stuck on charge only. Nothing happens with the USB mode icon. It is set to disk but the icon stays grey. My tablet does not recognize sr15 either. I can open the menu where I could choose transfer files on the tablet but that setting is inactive. Maybe I just dont know how to operate this thing.

Tidal on ak connect does not work either. Can't log in. Playing flac with ak connect does work so that much is positive. :)

You using Windows or Mac?

Apr 16, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #2,572 of 2,727
Windows 10

I thought maybe you were using a Mac, which needs extra software to connect to android for file transfer. Obviously, I'm no help as it should work with Windows... You have tried different USB cables? You don't want OTG or charge only.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #2,573 of 2,727
So with the built-in Tidal not working, today I installed the apk version and noted a few issues. I cannot install any version of Tidal later than 2.31. After some research, I figured out that 2.31 is the last version that supported Android 5 (API 21). All later versions require Android 6 (API 23). For some reason I had thought that the SR15 was Android 6 based.

Also, I had to use Facebook login rather than the direct Tidal userid/password. The app would not accept a userid/email and would never prompt for a password.

@JasonNYC - Is this a real limitation or am I doing something wrong?

I'm having the same issues.

Installed the latest 31 March 2021 v1.50 firmware and sideloaded Tidal 2.31.

Keyed in directly my Tidal user ID and the 'Continue' button remains greyed out, unable to proceed further to login.

Also tried to login via pressing the Facebook and Twitter buttons, but nothing happens.

Then tried to login via the pre-installed Tidal app, but got Authentication error.

What the.......

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #2,574 of 2,727
So with the built-in Tidal not working, today I installed the apk version and noted a few issues. I cannot install any version of Tidal later than 2.31. After some research, I figured out that 2.31 is the last version that supported Android 5 (API 21). All later versions require Android 6 (API 23). For some reason I had thought that the SR15 was Android 6 based.

Also, I had to use Facebook login rather than the direct Tidal userid/password. The app would not accept a userid/email and would never prompt for a password.

@JasonNYC - Is this a real limitation or am I doing something wrong?

Same thing here! Got logged out of Tidal on my SR15. I can’t login at all, after i entered my email there is no way to proceed to password input. Tried with a few apks, all the way to 2.31 but nothing works.

also, the Tidal on AK Connect 2.0 on both iOS and Android does not work as well. It keeps spitting out authorization error 😞

Apr 20, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #2,575 of 2,727
I got a response from tidal:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting TIDAL support. My name is Nancy and it is a pleasure to be able to assist you today.

We've added an extra security layer for login authentication to protect user's accounts.

You need to reach out to A&K support and have them switch their login-config to Oauth.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm always happy to help.

For answers to FAQs and more visit support.TIDAL.com.

Have a great day!
Best Regards,

Nancy
TIDAL Member Support

Apr 22, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #2,576 of 2,727
Astell&Kern has identified the issues users are having with the embedded Tidal app. Tidal has changed the authentication method used when logging into third-party Tidal apps. Astell&Kern is working as quickly as possible to make the required changes in the embedded app.

New firmware updates for the SP2000, SP1000, SP1000M, SE200, SE100, SR25 and KANN ALPHA will be released in May 2021, which will contain an updated embedded Tidal app to fix the authentication issues.

There is an issue with the new Tidal authentication policies on the following players – KANN CUBE, SA700, SR15, CT15 and CT10. We are looking into ways to continue to support the Tidal app on these players. More information will be available in May 2021.

Tidal is dropping support for older model Android devices. Unfortunately this means Tidal can no longer be supported on the following players due to the new authentication requirements - AK380, AK320, AK300, AK70 MKII, AK70, AK240, AK120II, AK100II.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 22, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #2,578 of 2,727
Big time disappointed I can't use Tidal on my SR15 anymore. I would not have bought it if I wanted just an offline player. If we don't get Tidal back it's going to make me regret selling my Opus #1 even more. Really hope there's a solution in May. Frustrated with both Tidal & A&K for this one.

At least I still have a good size offline library and the SR15 form factor can't be beat - we need more small players at this level of quality.

edit: understand more about this issue now

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #2,579 of 2,727
Big time disappointed I can't use Tidal on my SR15 anymore. I would not have bought it if I wanted just an offline player. If we don't get Tidal back it's going to make me regret selling my Opus #1 even more. Really hope there's a solution in May. Frustrated with both Tidal & A&K for this one.
Likewise, i got the SR15 for Tidal mainly. Been using it with Tidal for a bout a year now.
Just switched over to Qobuz because of this, been going okay so far.

Apr 22, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #2,580 of 2,727
Likewise, i got the SR15 for Tidal mainly. Been using it with Tidal for a bout a year now.
Just switched over to Qobuz because of this, been going okay so far.
That's great to hear - I've been thinking of making the switch to Qobuz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back