Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
May 24, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #2,341 of 2,727
Thanks so far, very helpfull. I am trying now with the apk stuff. Problem is the SR15 is 3% only so far.
But I'll win!
Any sugestions for other usefull apps since I'm new to this thing?

I personally use Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music and Qobuz for my 4 additional apps. Most of the time, I use AK connect (DLNA) to stream from my home NAS (which is already built in and doesn't require an apk).

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #2,344 of 2,727
On my M11 I use Qobuz, and Fiio music. Mostly I stream via DLNA to my server. This is what I'll do with the SR15 to.
I also want Spotify on it. I never use Apple or Amazon music.

We have a family plan for Apple Music and Amazon Prime (wife and kids) so I sometimes use these. I do pay for Tidal and Qobuz separately. Like many others, I have been patiently waiting for Roon but A&K has really, really let us down on this. Promised Roon integration was the reason I purchased this specific device over others. Clever marketing, I guess.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #2,345 of 2,727
I've read this entire topic last week.and it seems to be a problem for a lot of people, just like bugs in firmware. I never used Roon myself, tbh, I dont know what it does. Means I don't miss it too.
Most of the music I listen to is from cd, ripped to the NAS. In the garden, bed, on the go etc I use the DAP.
At home in the living room or in my 'office' I play a lot of records nowadays using a headphone. I re-discovered it after about 25 years but it is all so mucht better now.
Love it.

May 25, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #2,346 of 2,727
Listening to my SR15 and Ultrasone Signature Pro, superb sound, very good synergy. The sound of the SR15 is exceptional, desktop component quality.

That is not to discount the Sig Pro, one of the most under rated closed backs on Head fi.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #2,347 of 2,727
Hi Jason, have not tried different cable with SR15 but used the same cable with a phone and it worked fine without any crackling. I might just try again with a different cable and see whether that might make a difference. Thanks for your reply.
So tried the setup with a different OTG cable and same issue. Now I am left with two OTG cables and no USB Audio without sound crackling. Not the outcome I was hoping for from a AU$1000 player. Is there anything anyone can suggest to get around this?

May 26, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #2,348 of 2,727
When you in Album choose CUE, in order to split the ape file tracks, the track current playing repites one tme after time. It is necessary to choose the next track and push play yourself.
It is annoying firmware issue.
Thanks.

May 26, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #2,349 of 2,727
Moving about 50GB of files from my laptop to the SR15's internal storage and the process keeps randomly stopping, the player randomly just disappearing from explorer, sometimes reconnecting it makes it re-appear, sometimes it doesn't. I'm now breaking those files up into small chunks to ferry over, which makes the whole process kinda cumbersome. Is this some weird Android issue? Any pointers as to how I can avoid that?

May 27, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #2,352 of 2,727
Why don’t you use a card reader or an adapter?
Goes way more faster and more reliable to.
it can be cumbersome if it is wrapped in the leather casing, the leather case wraps it very tight and not easy to take out

May 28, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #2,353 of 2,727
Are you using an apk or xapk? If it is an Apkpure xapk you will need https://apkpure.com/xapk-installer/com.apkpure.installer. Spotify can be found in both formats depending on your source (Apkpure just points to the Google Play store in the US for Spotify). Also, you must use the armeabi-v7a version.

This link should work for you for the current normal apk version (Netherlands). Note that the link will not work from the USA without a VPN:

https://apkpure.com/spotify-music/com.spotify.music/variant/8.5.58.954-APK

Another way to get the apk is to install the Apkpure app on another android device and download from there. This method works in the US.

What is the difference between apk and Xapk pls? I download the XAPK I found under apkpure into the folder "OpenService" but they then dont appear under Services.

I only need tune-in APK, (not XAPK) and foobar APK. I found foobar apk on their site but then once I see it under "Services" it breaks up the download with "Error internal parse" or similar.

On foobar, which is the right one to DL pls:

ARM 32-bit
ARM 64-bit
x86 32-bit
x86 64-bit

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,354 of 2,727
What is the difference between apk and Xapk pls? I download the XAPK I found under apkpure into the folder "OpenService" but they then dont appear under Services.

I only need tune-in APK, (not XAPK) and foobar APK. I found foobar apk on their site but then once I see it under "Services" it breaks up the download with "Error internal parse" or similar.

On foobar, which is the right one to DL pls:

ARM 32-bit
ARM 64-bit
x86 32-bit
x86 64-bit

For the SR15, you will need the ARM 32-bit version. XAPKs contain an APK file and also additional assets that are needed for the app. The main thing is that they cannot be installed without the use of an additional program (app) beyond the built-in android package installer. The SR15 is an ARM7 32 bit device, 64 bit ARM8 packages will not work for either APK or XAPK packages.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #2,355 of 2,727
Good Evening.

I'm new to this forum as a member, was reading tens or hundreds of threads over the years.

I'm thinking of the SP1000m as an travel ( airplane, train ) and while hundreds of miles of cycling, dap to have with me ( i have a very nice studio audio setup with dac's headphone amp etc so the SP1000m would not be used at home only outside the house ).

I use my SE846 Shure ( im in the proces of getting the molds done for a custom 64 audio U18T but its a bit hard to get to have it done at the moment ) and Bayerdynamic T5p on the road an old AK JR. but its slow and the UI is annoying, and the sound quality is mediocre at best - was waiting for it to die before upgrade but im feed up now and want a new dap (at home i use HD800, Fostex TH900 mk2 and my Genelec 8351 speakers )

Do you think this is not overkill for this kind of use as places i will use it wont be quiet, controlled environments.

Can you please advise on this.

Many Thanks
Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back