Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jan 22, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #2,132 of 2,727
I use Roon on my home HI-FI system which integrates an extensive personal digital music library and Tidal access with a disparate array of endpoints in different rooms. I’d like the SR15 to be an endpoint too so that when I am listening to ‘phones I can use my iPad or iPhone, that I’m usually reading, to control the feed of music to the SR15, which can be from my library or Tidal and through my absolutely favourite interface. Roon!

Sure I can use Tidal (but not offline mode without side loading a later version) but the interface is rubbish and it limits me to Tidal. Operating the SR15 on its tiny screen isn’t particularly pleasant. I have no interest in loading up fiddly little SD cards with music either.

Time to move DAPs on to become streaming endpoints with control off your phone...

what the SR15 has going for it is that it has the potential to do the above and it sounds superb!

I do have a little cheap Fiio M6 that’s been able to do all I need described above for the past year but the SQ is just not as good.

The Chord 2Go for my Hugo2 is imminent I hear so the SR15 and M6’s days are probably numbered for me anyway.

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #2,133 of 2,727
Is it just me or does the SR15 drain battery faster while off or standby now with this latest firmware 1.33? A day while turned off just shaved 3% without any operation whatsoever.
I tried for 3 days straight without turning the unit on from full charge and it is now at 93%. Before then it is not draining so much in standby or off.

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #2,134 of 2,727
Is it just me or does the SR15 drain battery faster while off or standby now with this latest firmware 1.33? A day while turned off just shaved 3% without any operation whatsoever.
I tried for 3 days straight without turning the unit on from full charge and it is now at 93%. Before then it is not draining so much in standby or off.
is connectivity functions turned off? and not on tidal section etc?

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #2,135 of 2,727
is connectivity functions turned off? and not on tidal section etc?
Yes, both BT and WiFi are off, I don't use streaming services that much anyway.

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #2,138 of 2,727
I use Roon on my home HI-FI system which integrates an extensive personal digital music library and Tidal access with a disparate array of endpoints in different rooms. I’d like the SR15 to be an endpoint too so that when I am listening to ‘phones I can use my iPad or iPhone, that I’m usually reading, to control the feed of music to the SR15, which can be from my library or Tidal and through my absolutely favourite interface. Roon!

Sure I can use Tidal (but not offline mode without side loading a later version) but the interface is rubbish and it limits me to Tidal. Operating the SR15 on its tiny screen isn’t particularly pleasant. I have no interest in loading up fiddly little SD cards with music either.

Time to move DAPs on to become streaming endpoints with control off your phone...

what the SR15 has going for it is that it has the potential to do the above and it sounds superb!

I do have a little cheap Fiio M6 that’s been able to do all I need described above for the past year but the SQ is just not as good.

The Chord 2Go for my Hugo2 is imminent I hear so the SR15 and M6’s days are probably numbered for me anyway.

That's exactly what I was hoping to do when Roon support was announced by A&K over a year ago.

Jan 23, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #2,139 of 2,727
guess AK has gone sideways, not showing assistance and progress, no longer a good reason to buy AK, much better spec dap with better support is out there now, and even more competitive priced

they might still feel they have us in their pockets, but this is not the old era of true loyalty.. who serves better will win

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #2,140 of 2,727
The Roon situation is ludicrous @JasonNYC

i know you said you’ve reached out to your team, but why haven’t they gotten back to you? Does your company not talk to each other?

Pick up the phone and demand an answer.
At first it was promised to be released Q4 2018. July 5 @JasonNYC said:
“No new news yet. Last I was told about two weeks ago was that it was 98% complete and a revised firmware was being submitted to Roon for testing last week. I will follow up again.”

Having chosen for SR15 (and now SP1000m) for its soon-to-be-delivered Roon-ability as a key factor, this hurts. Learned from it though

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #2,141 of 2,727
I am having the same issue on start up. I bought the sr15 based on the company’s reputation of putting out a fine product. Although the sound quality is great , it has had a lot of these usability issues that are frustrating. The most frustrating part is, to date, not keeping their promise of roon. It was one of the major reasons i bought the sr 15. I learned my lesson. I will NEVER buy another Astell and Kern product again. They make promises that that can’t keep.

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #2,142 of 2,727
I don't understand why someone would purchase a expensive product that doesn't already have the feature(s) they are after, it makes no sense to me to purchase based on nothing more than a company promise. More often than not it either ends in disappointment in my experience.

I think its safe to say the latest update is a poor one, I haven't yet had the powering on issues others experience but I am no longer able to use my SR15 as a source for my Sennheiser HDV820 amp which worked perfectly well prior to the update. I tried A&K support but they eventually wrote back saying I would need to send at my cost to a Germany for inspection for a technician to test the product and estimate a out of warranty repair cost. I queried that this only was an issue after their own software update and I should not be liable to costs due to problems introduced by the update, but never received a response back.

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #2,143 of 2,727
I don't understand why someone would purchase a expensive product that doesn't already have the feature(s) they are after, it makes no sense to me to purchase based on nothing more than a company promise. More often than not it either ends in disappointment in my experience.
That’s why I said I learned from it. I am normally really (too?) optimistic and tend to trust companies I have good experiences with. On the other hand, that is how I want to live my life.

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #2,144 of 2,727
I hope I didnt offend it wasn't aimed at you specifically just a general observation, nothing wrong in being optimistic I am a believer that if you think positively about life then more positive things will happen :)

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #2,145 of 2,727
i myself do believe that on getting a product at this size, the company would back up support comprehensively

Users who are viewing this thread

Back