Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jan 11, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #2,101 of 2,727
Very much appreciate this detailed feedback and comparison, exactly what I was hoping for! Fortunately, I live in North NJ, not too far from NYC and I plan to visit B&H tomorrow morning to have a listen at both the M11 Pro & SR15. Due to the size differences, I am certainly leaning towards the SR15, but don’t want to jump the gun without seeing and testing both.

I had a listen yesterday to a FIIO FA7 iem paired with FIIO M9 and wasn’t really impressed (though this could be a result of the M9 being the source, but the FA7 is easy to drive). I had contemplated these as well in addition to the Billie Jean, but I think my mind is set on the BJ’s after the listening session.

The Diana’s are currently out of my budget, though I’d certainly be interested in potential discounts or sales.

I can understand. I will plan tot buy the Diana's myself later also, but enjoying the BJ 100%! Have fun with listening and let us know afterwards. PS the seller here, where I listened to the M11 and M11 pro was not impressed with the FH7 either. There is a big hype, but I think that there is still more expertise at AstellnKern/Jerry Harvey to make good in ears. Besides, AstellnKern did also work together with Final / Byerdynamic (if I am right) in the past. And these have also nice offerings to consider for pairing with the SR15.

But again, I am curious what you decide. Have a good day!

EDIT; Just bought the AstellnKern Diana's!! Excited :D

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #2,102 of 2,727
Very much appreciate this detailed feedback and comparison, exactly what I was hoping for! Fortunately, I live in North NJ, not too far from NYC and I plan to visit B&H tomorrow morning to have a listen at both the M11 Pro & SR15. Due to the size differences, I am certainly leaning towards the SR15, but don’t want to jump the gun without seeing and testing both.

I had a listen yesterday to a FIIO FA7 iem paired with FIIO M9 and wasn’t really impressed (though this could be a result of the M9 being the source, but the FA7 is easy to drive). I had contemplated these as well in addition to the Billie Jean, but I think my mind is set on the BJ’s after the listening session.

The Diana’s are currently out of my budget, though I’d certainly be interested in potential discounts or sales.

Curious to hear what your decision will be. M11 Pro or SR15

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #2,103 of 2,727

CanJam NYC is about a month away (15-16 Feb in Times Square) and is a great opportunity to demo gear - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-nyc-2020-february-15-16-2020.918387/

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #2,104 of 2,727
Hey guys, a quick question: I wanna connect my SR15 to an external amp (IFI xCan) through balaced line out. What voltage value should I choose? 1.4, 2, 2.5 or 4V?

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #2,105 of 2,727

How was the session comparing the two DAPs M11 Pro and SR15? :)

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #2,106 of 2,727
Hi everyone, I have a SR15 which I am very pleased with. I recently took the plunge and bought a 1TB card which means I can put a lot more music on. However, I've got an issue with external playlists.I have been using MusicBee to manage music on my PC and syncing music and playlists to the Micro SD card. I then have been copying these to the internal storage playlists folder and as long as the playlist and the M3U file is small it works. Any file size above about 300Kb which is about a 6000 song playlist will not copy over and then locks the machine which needs to be rebooted. Is there a size limit on external playlists and is there any way round this?

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #2,107 of 2,727
Anyone have experiences driving potentially hard to drive headphones on this?

Jan 16, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #2,108 of 2,727
I tried them one day with HD 660 S and no problem. Although it wasn't the sound profile I was looking for

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #2,110 of 2,727
While I love the sound of my SR15 and the build quality of the product, the implementation is woeful, Tidal is always crashing. Astell and Kern release firmware so sporadically and doesn't hold to their promises. Considering the cost of AK products, you would expect them to be at the top of their game for customer service. But sadly not. I had a red wine audio modded 380 which was amazing but unfortunately left it in a rental on a European vacation never to be seen again. It's amazing that most review sites never ever mention anything bad about software and support. Unless AK lifts there game will definitly move to Cayin or maybe even Fiio for next DAP.

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #2,111 of 2,727
While I love the sound of my SR15 and the build quality of the product, the implementation is woeful, Tidal is always crashing. Astell and Kern release firmware so sporadically and doesn't hold to their promises. Considering the cost of AK products, you would expect them to be at the top of their game for customer service. But sadly not. I had a red wine audio modded 380 which was amazing but unfortunately left it in a rental on a European vacation never to be seen again. It's amazing that most review sites never ever mention anything bad about software and support. Unless AK lifts there game will definitly move to Cayin or maybe even Fiio for next DAP.

I’ve had A&K, Fiio and Cayin DAPs - none of them actually came even close to the experience of a modern smartphone, especially using streaming apps. They all had their bugs and streaming/downloading content never went perfectly smooth. I guess that has a lot to do with that smaller audio companies simply don’t have the expertise/experience/money to truly have a good software support.
That is why I completely switched to high quality Bluetooth DAC/AMPs (like the XDSD or Btr5 while using my smartphone as a device) and I must say since then I am perfectly happy! SQ really is very comparable to a DAPin recent days and smartphone as an interface stays the best :)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #2,112 of 2,727
I’m not sure if I’m expecting too much, but having come from a smartphone, the battery life and UI speed are both shockingly bad.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #2,113 of 2,727

Couldn't agree more. I bought my SR15 as a treat. It's a lot of money but it will be a top class machine, I thought. The sound is of course good, but the frequency of updates is shockingly bad. Broken promises, months of silence and still musing basic features.

In the end, I have bought myself a Hiby R6 and am much happier. I actually end up using it, rather than thinking it is more trouble than it's worth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back