Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jul 22, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,711 of 2,727
Yes but it's little pointless. From phone you can get better connection with these headphones then from SR15. For Bluetooth it's just a transport.

My phone is an iPhone 6s Plus. 128gb.
I have about 500gb of 16 and 24bit flacs on my SR15 with Tidal hi res too. I don’t really want my phone involved. I know the Sr15 and Sony XM3s do AptX HD. I don’t want any wires. Sorry I’m new to most of this.

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,712 of 2,727
In this case sure it will do. But sound quality you will really get from nice wired IEM on this or standard headphones.

Jul 22, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #1,713 of 2,727
In this case sure it will do. But sound quality you will really get from nice wired IEM on this or standard headphones.
Agreed - this is purely for travelling. For home I have just bought some Elegias and a silver dragon balanced cable for the Sr15. Cable arrived today can’t wait to try it.
Regarding IEMs I can’t stand anything in my ears!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #1,714 of 2,727
Agreed - this is purely for travelling. For home I have just bought some Elegias and a silver dragon balanced cable for the Sr15. Cable arrived today can’t wait to try it.
Regarding IEMs I can’t stand anything in my ears!
I've been using Elegias with my SR15 and they're a great combination. Did you get the silver dragon cable for your headphones or to connect your SR15 with an amp/dac?

Jul 22, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #1,715 of 2,727
I've been using Elegias with my SR15 and they're a great combination. Did you get the silver dragon cable for your headphones or to connect your SR15 with an amp/dac?

Hi I ordered a balanced 5ft cable for Elegias to SR15 2.5mm male plug.

I also ordered a 5ft cable with 2.5mm female to 6.3mm for my Anthem MRX 720 AVR so I can join them both together and listen thru the amp.

All just for listening thru my Elegias either on the SR15 or thru my AVR. Should have made that clear sorry. Hopefully get time tonight to try it all out.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #1,718 of 2,727
Yep! When I read it the first time I thought you wanted to connect the SR15 to your AVR with the 2.5mm output on the SR15. I learned the hard way you get hum that way because DAPs use virtual ground since there is no ability to tie to earth ground. So you need a special cable that connects both the 2.5mm and 3.5mm output so it can pull the ground of the preamp for the 3.5mm output. So the 2.5mm to dual 3pin XLR cable I bought from Aliexpress is just collecting dust. Luckily it wasn't too expensive!

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #1,719 of 2,727
Hi all purchased a SR15 last week as my trusty Zune has died. Helluva upgrade!

Going away next week on holiday anyone recommend a decent pair of Bluetooth cans to complement the AK. Nothing too huge, don’t want to look like the pilot. Don’t do IEMs. I listen to flax 16bit and some 24 bit plus Tidal hi res. All metal and punk.

Thanks in advance. 1st post sorry if too long and if in wrong place!
I played around with the original zune that one of my friends owned. At the time I thought it was sweet. I think you’ll be very happy with the SR15. What a lovely sounding DAP.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #1,720 of 2,727
Yep! When I read it the first time I thought you wanted to connect the SR15 to your AVR with the 2.5mm output on the SR15. I learned the hard way you get hum that way because DAPs use virtual ground since there is no ability to tie to earth ground. So you need a special cable that connects both the 2.5mm and 3.5mm output so it can pull the ground of the preamp for the 3.5mm output. So the 2.5mm to dual 3pin XLR cable I bought from Aliexpress is just collecting dust. Luckily it wasn't too expensive!

Hi would this be the same for when using the SR15 with any kind of additional DAC / Amps? If so I might need some guidance on what cable to get! Thanks in advance :)

Jul 23, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #1,721 of 2,727
Hi would this be the same for when using the SR15 with any kind of additional DAC / Amps? If so I might need some guidance on what cable to get! Thanks in advance :)
No, just if you want to use the balanced 2.5mm output to an external amp. Using it as a transport or just the 3.5mm SE output shouldn't have any issue.

Jul 23, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #1,723 of 2,727
Ok great!

Are there any advantages to using the 2.5mm output Vs the 3.55mm? Sorry if these are silly questions haha
in iem mode, bal out has higher output, but for LO, both will just be a 2v out

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #1,724 of 2,727
in iem mode, bal out has higher output, but for LO, both will just be a 2v out

Ok thank you! From what I’ve read and understand...

I have SR15 with Sennheiser HD660s headphones. Therefore any additional external DAC or Amp shouldn’t really make that much difference at all?

I’ve been using the FiiO Q5 along with Dragonfly for use with iPhone. I haven’t got round to testing this set up Vs the SR15 yet.

Jul 23, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #1,725 of 2,727
Hey folks,

is there a way to get a simple album view within an artist selection?

I’ve had several AK players before and they’ve never shown albums within the artist like the A&Norma does by listing all the songs below the album name. I’d prefer it so it just showed you the album, click on it to show the songs within the album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back