Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Apr 21, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #1,532 of 2,727
Some of my favorite tracks, and all are available on Tidal:

John Williams - Duel of the Fates from Star Wars Phantom Menace Soundtrack
Eagles - Hotel California (Live) from Hell Freezes Over
Phil Collins - I Don't Care Anymore (2016 Remaster) from Hello, I Must Be Going (Deluxe Edition)
Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight (Live) from Face Value (Deluxe Edition)
Escala - Palladio from Escala
Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar on Me (Live) from Hysteria (Super Deluxe)
Brad Fiedel - The Terminator (Main Title) from The Terminator Soundtrack
Manu Katché - Unstatic from Unstatic
Hans Zimmer - Why So Serious? from The Dark Knight Soundtrack
Dave Grusin - Fascinating Rhythm (Album Version) from The Gershwin

Cheers! :)

Apr 21, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #1,533 of 2,727
my brain got so confused from listening to star wars main theme on tidal, the positioning, my brain couldnt process it and farted..

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #1,534 of 2,727
Untitled.jpg

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #1,535 of 2,727
I will be posting up my SR15 setup in photos under the thread! Woot :)

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #1,538 of 2,727
Hello @JasonNYC, I have a question about MQA streaming via Tidal. Is there any difference between using 1) AK Connect 2) native Tidal app 3) side loaded Tidal app for MQA in terms of full unfold?

Obviously there are visual differences and using AK Connect has the benefit of a visual indicator including the blue or green dot, but do all 3 options give the full unfold and therfore same sound quality?

Screens attached just in case. Thank you!

60772925-0320-421B-8BBD-AFA2DE4D4491.jpeg

1BC996C6-425D-424F-B6A4-99E1C65D5B7B.jpeg

E1E3CBA4-A0C1-4B40-8225-D9CAC0903497.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #1,539 of 2,727
Hello @JasonNYC, I have a question about MQA streaming via Tidal. Is there any difference between using 1) AK Connect 2) native Tidal app 3) side loaded Tidal app for MQA in terms of full unfold?

Obviously there are visual differences and using AK Connect has the benefit of a visual indicator including the blue or green dot, but do all 3 options give the full unfold and therfore same sound quality?

Full unfold on embedded and sideloaded app. I'm not 100% sure on the AK Connect, but I'm pretty sure that is also a full unfold as the SR15 is a full MQA render and is certified to unfold to full resolution, but let me confirm.

The "Master" in the app, both embedded and sideloaded is what is required to be displayed by Tidal and MQA. There is no control from manufacturers to add any other visual indicator or bit rate, which is why only "Master" is displayed.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 23, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #1,540 of 2,727
Hey guys so ive had my sr15 for a while now. A out 6 months. Has anyone had issues sometimes with powering on the device? Sometimes it doesnt power on and only does so after a few tries. I feel like maybe the top right power button isnt making full contact? :S it doesnt happen often, maybe once every two weeks. Maybe im just pressing it weird?

Also its getting a bit warm in my city, "spring" and ive noticed thr DAP gets... a bit warm after 4 or 5 songs.. not sure if its still supposed to get warm, i think break in period has passed no?...

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,541 of 2,727
Hey guys so ive had my sr15 for a while now. A out 6 months. Has anyone had issues sometimes with powering on the device? Sometimes it doesnt power on and only does so after a few tries. I feel like maybe the top right power button isnt making full contact? :S it doesnt happen often, maybe once every two weeks. Maybe im just pressing it weird?

Also its getting a bit warm in my city, "spring" and ive noticed thr DAP gets... a bit warm after 4 or 5 songs.. not sure if its still supposed to get warm, i think break in period has passed no?...

Hold the upper right button little longer like 3-5 sec until you see the A signal coming up.
SR15 is little bit warm even after burning in time over (more than 150 hours). That is normal.
Thing is if you left unused for about 10-15 min it automatically turns off completely to save battery time I guess.

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #1,542 of 2,727
Hold the upper right button little longer like 3-5 sec until you see the A signal coming up.
SR15 is little bit warm even after burning in time over (more than 150 hours). That is normal.
Thing is if you left unused for about 10-15 min it automatically turns off completely to save battery time I guess.

yeah the power button usually works flawlessly. like 99% of the time.

that burn in time, my goodness lol, i hope it goes away i dont like it getting warm after 20min of music playing. especially since summer is coming.. its gonna get much more humid/hotter :frowning2:

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,543 of 2,727
yeah the power button usually works flawlessly. like 99% of the time.

that burn in time, my goodness lol, i hope it goes away i dont like it getting warm after 20min of music playing. especially since summer is coming.. its gonna get much more humid/hotter :frowning2:

I am understanding your concern but every DAP I own is getting warm after playing musics for awhile. The best way to do is letting them naked or no cases. :wink:

Apr 24, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #1,544 of 2,727

how come my ak connect only shows up to hifi and yours can mqa?

and also is it possible to unfold mqa as a usb dac? @JasonNYC

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #1,545 of 2,727
I am understanding your concern but every DAP I own is getting warm after playing musics for awhile. The best way to do is letting them naked or no cases. :wink:
but the SR15 needs a case, glass back and aluminium body means it will scratch/dent easily :frowning2: and its so pretty i dont wanna get it ruined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back