Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
May 1, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #1,561 of 2,727
Hi @schleppsound

My question for you or anyone else viewing my post is whether or not $700 is overkill for a DAP if I’m only listening with the Quad Driver or maybe even the M11 is overkill?

I don’t think either would be, but I’m new to all of this and would appreciate the insight of more experienced audiophiles

my dear friend, your question has a very simple answer, the better the headset or ear in will be and the better the result you will feel.
Now I have taken some Meze Rai Penta and I use them with sr15 and I can assure you that this tiny setup has absolute level performances and you can look at the toys in my profile to get an idea of the things I listen to.
In addition to headphones, it is essential that you use high quality files, for example using Qobuz Sublime which I installed in the sr15 and with files hires the end result is even better.

May 12, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #1,563 of 2,727
Selling my SR15 from EU if someone is interested

May 17, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #1,568 of 2,727
Hi Roon recently added another 38 approved and tested devices to their partner program
They just launched on the amazon store

Any further news for Roon apk availability on the SR15? Recalling it was announced as launching before Christmas

Waiting for this myself. Jason posted this in the SP1000 thread 2 days ago:

We met with Roon team and had a good discussion. No definite time frame that we can share yet, but was a productive meeting on moving forward and getting it done.

Seems like still a ways to go :frowning2:

May 19, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #1,570 of 2,727
Hi

Just a quick question I currently have the Astell and Kern SR15 with a pair of isine 10 and upgraded to a reference silver cable 2.5 balanced one.

The iPhone XS Max now can handle hi res via a separate app and if I use the headphones with the supplied cipher cable which has a built in DAC would this be the same quality when streaming tidal masters hi res as the Astell Kern unit or would the sound be far more superior through the SR15.

Just wanting to check that I haven’t bought the Astell Kern SR15 for no reason when my current phone will apparently do the same.

Thanks.

May 19, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #1,571 of 2,727
Hi folks,

Curious about the SR15. Might anyone have an idea about how long a unit like this can be expected to last? Also is it possible to replace the battery? For battery replacement I'm meaning something official. Putting in a random 3rd party battery that is not officially recommend by A&K is not something I will do, and it would almost certainly void any warranty.

Also, a bit off topic but does anyone happen to know where to get a cable that will connect to the balanced output? Will most iems allow for the use of such a cable? Was pondering possibly the Noble Audio Katana iems.

Thank you

May 19, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #1,572 of 2,727
Hi folks,

Curious about the SR15. Might anyone have an idea about how long a unit like this can be expected to last? Also is it possible to replace the battery? For battery replacement I'm meaning something official. Putting in a random 3rd party battery that is not officially recommend by A&K is not something I will do, and it would almost certainly void any warranty.

Typically LiPo/Li-ion batteries are specced for a cycle life of >500 chargers (cycle life is the number of complete charge/discharge cycles that the battery is able to support before that its capacity falls under 80%. So after 2 years, you should still have ~80% battery capacity if you don't charge itevery day.

Also, a bit off topic but does anyone happen to know where to get a cable that will connect to the balanced output? Will most iems allow for the use of such a cable? Was pondering possibly the Noble Audio Katana iems.
Thank you

All headphones with removable cables feeding L and R individually can be wired balanced,

May 20, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #1,573 of 2,727
Hi folks,

Thank you

There's a whole of choices when it comes to cables, to include price ranges. In case you haven't see the cables section of Head-Fi, it's in the Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (https://www.head-fi.org/forums/cables-power-tweaks-speakers-accessories-dbt-free-forum.21/) You can get cables direct from various manufacturers, speciality stores such as Audio46 (https://audio46.com) and Musictech (https://musicteck.myshopify.com), and of course Amazon. It all depends on what you're looking for in a cable and how much you're willing to spend.

May 20, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #1,574 of 2,727
Thanks for your responses, they're very helpful.

Hope I can ask a few more questions about the SR15. Are you finding the MQA quality quite good? Is it doing a full unfold? IIRC the usual output is at 88khz/24bit.

Also might anyone know of a set of iems that pair well with the SR15. Mostly I'm interested in a wide soundstage.

Lastly, are there options for high res music for people who prefer to download? The SR15 seems to have support for Deezer, Groovers+ and Tidal, but it seems like these offer streams only, you can't purchase individual tracks for permanent use. I know of HDtracks and bleep.com. Are there others to try?

Thanks very much.

May 20, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #1,575 of 2,727
Two other questions: is the only way to feed an spdif into the SR15 probably a Mutec box?

Any advice regarding headphone pairings with the SR15. I was thinking of maybe trying a Focal Elear. I'm mostly interested in a large soundstage and a detailed rendering. A headphone can even have a bit of a "warm" presentation in my opinion but the SR15 seems to have a bit of warmth already baked into the sound (at least to my ears).

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back