Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jan 29, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #1,052 of 2,727
You have me intrigued with the Ultrasone m plus. I’ve never tried an Ultrasone before and I always look for comfortable cans.

In the first I was looking for some closed cans, low Ohms, overear-sized, absolute max of 900,- Euros budget and (!) they should easily be convertable to balanced by a cablechange ... and of course they should sound very good :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ... just in short:

1.) Ultrasone Edition M Plus -> the ideal combo of budget, purpose, comfort and most important a great mature, well native sound for hourlasting listening and it is handcrafted(!) in Bavaria, where I live :wink: (673,- Euros)

2.) Shure 1540 -> too much warmth, bass too pronounced for my taste (arround 500,- Euros)

3.) Beyerdynamic T5p (II.) -> very very honest ... simply out of my budget (999,- Euros, my wife would have killed me) ... did not dare to listen to it :confounded:!

4.) Meze 99 Classic -> Did not try it as I was blown away from the Ultrasone allready

https://ultrasone.com/ultrasone-serie-edition-mit-plus-technologie/?lang=en#EditionM-Plus

The most part of the wearingcomfort is due to its rather light weight of 228g and the cans have sheep-leather pads, which give you such a great feel on the head and skin, without sweating. I have "normal" sized ears which fit in the cans right away without hittig the drivers inside and music listening can last hours without thinking of the phones on your head.
Soundwise, don´t know how to describe... I will simply call it as above mature, natural, even, but still dynamic and never boring... bass when it should be bass ... no boomy bass, more kind of a dry kickbass!
Allthough they get a burn in by Ultrasone allready they needed the burning in for easily 4 weeks and day by day they opened up more and more, especially in the bass region.
They will stay forever!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #1,053 of 2,727
Hi,
Is anyone facing an issue with the 'back' icon? I hape to click on it many time before it reacts

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #1,054 of 2,727
Sometimes it happens to me with several buttons on the touch screen. I do not know if it's the plastic protector's fault ...

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #1,056 of 2,727
Sometimes it happens to me with several buttons on the touch screen. I do not know if it's the plastic protector's fault ...
No, because I was already facing this issue without the protector. I think that it is a software problem

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #1,057 of 2,727
Ordered my SR15 yesterday with a grey case.
Sent as xpress 1-3 day delivery. I should be getting it today or tomorrow. So excited!!! Finally no more mobile phone and its anaemic sound.

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #1,058 of 2,727
Congratulations! I am looking forward to reading your impressions of the player.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #1,060 of 2,727
In the first I was looking for some closed cans, low Ohms, overear-sized, absolute max of 900,- Euros budget and (!) they should easily be convertable to balanced by a cablechange ... and of course they should sound very good :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ... just in short:

1.) Ultrasone Edition M Plus -> the ideal combo of budget, purpose, comfort and most important a great mature, well native sound for hourlasting listening and it is handcrafted(!) in Bavaria, where I live :wink: (673,- Euros)

2.) Shure 1540 -> too much warmth, bass too pronounced for my taste (arround 500,- Euros)

3.) Beyerdynamic T5p (II.) -> very very honest ... simply out of my budget (999,- Euros, my wife would have killed me) ... did not dare to listen to it :confounded:!

4.) Meze 99 Classic -> Did not try it as I was blown away from the Ultrasone allready

https://ultrasone.com/ultrasone-serie-edition-mit-plus-technologie/?lang=en#EditionM-Plus

The most part of the wearingcomfort is due to its rather light weight of 228g and the cans have sheep-leather pads, which give you such a great feel on the head and skin, without sweating. I have "normal" sized ears which fit in the cans right away without hittig the drivers inside and music listening can last hours without thinking of the phones on your head.
Soundwise, don´t know how to describe... I will simply call it as above mature, natural, even, but still dynamic and never boring... bass when it should be bass ... no boomy bass, more kind of a dry kickbass!
Allthough they get a burn in by Ultrasone allready they needed the burning in for easily 4 weeks and day by day they opened up more and more, especially in the bass region.
They will stay forever!

I saw a pair for like 345.00 but they weren’t the plus- just the edition m black pearl. Specs are a tiny bit different, (40 ohms) but all the other stuff looks indenticle- seems like a good deal.

They are like new-open box.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #1,061 of 2,727
Ordered my SR15 yesterday with a grey case.
Sent as xpress 1-3 day delivery. I should be getting it today or tomorrow. So excited!!! Finally no more mobile phone and its anaemic sound.

Good show mate! I think I’m as excited as you are :wink: can’t wait to hear what you think of it!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #1,062 of 2,727
Good show mate! I think I’m as excited as you are :wink: can’t wait to hear what you think of it!
i'll give feedback right away, first on unboxing and general first impression. then i'll give it a good day or so music listen, and then follow up week long impression :)

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #1,063 of 2,727
i'll give feedback right away, first on unboxing and general first impression. then i'll give it a good day or so music listen, and then follow up week long impression :)

Sounds like a good plan of attack, always good to get comfy with new gear. I remember mine got warmer at the beginning- but just when I did the battery test with a relatively loud volume of 91 for 9 hours my SR15 didn’t even get warm.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #1,064 of 2,727
I saw a pair for like 345.00 but they weren’t the plus- just the edition m black pearl. Specs are a tiny bit different, (40 ohms) but all the other stuff looks indenticle- seems like a good deal.

They are like new-open box.

The "Plus" are over-ear and without "Plus" are just on-ear with smaller cups and most likely resulting in a different sound appearance and wearing comfort due to the on-ear-pressure ... just to keep in mind ... nevertheless this "normal" Edition M also got top reference reviews.
I didn´t test them seperately myself, but people tell, the "Plus" - version has a more substant and complete bass than the "normal" one.
The price for the normal "Edition M" (new) is about 469,- Euro atm, so if 345,00 are Euros it looks OK!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,065 of 2,727
The "Plus" are over-ear and without "Plus" are just on-ear with smaller cups and most likely resulting in a different sound appearance and wearing comfort due to the on-ear-pressure ... just to keep in mind ... nevertheless this "normal" Edition M also got top reference reviews.
I didn´t test them seperately myself, but people tell, the "Plus" - version has a more substant and complete bass than the "normal" one.
The price for the normal "Edition M" (new) is about 469,- Euro atm, so if 345,00 are Euros it looks OK!

Thanks for the info, and the 345 is dollars. The regular edition m on the website is 699 euros- yikes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back