Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jan 10, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #856 of 2,727
Do you guys any good IEM/over ear reccommendations that'll work well with the SR15? I've been thinking about the iSINE 10 and the HD6XX, not sure which is better for the AK though.

Watching responses as I also have the HD6xx/650. These are my second pair of Senns and I can’t recommend them highly enough. The Massdrop mods are perfect. The deep blue looks effectively black in real life. I got a modded OEM cord that was shorter (1m) and balanced. Use them with an ES100 and it’s a perfect match for that amazing little Bluetooth DAC. I’m now looking at a wired DAP so I can listen to Hi Res. Would love the SE100 but my wallet is preventing that so have been looking closely at the SR15.

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #857 of 2,727
Watching responses as I also have the HD6xx/650. These are my second pair of Senns and I can’t recommend them highly enough. The Massdrop mods are perfect. The deep blue looks effectively black in real life. I got a modded OEM cord that was shorter (1m) and balanced. Use them with an ES100 and it’s a perfect match for that amazing little Bluetooth DAC. I’m now looking at a wired DAP so I can listen to Hi Res. Would love the SE100 but my wallet is preventing that so have been looking closely at the SR15.

Thanks for the input! The 6XX seems really appealing (they're on a drop right now too), but I currently don't have any amps to drive them with, and I already own a decent pair of cans as well, as opposed to IEMs where the only thing I have is the pair that came with my S8 (Hence why I've also been looking at IEMs). I do hope I get the 6XX eventually though, they look amazing for the price

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #861 of 2,727
The vocals do sound more extanding into background not like before that were more forward. Anyone of you hear the same?

I am still on factory firmware (1.08 for me), I haven't updated yet because I know firmware updates can affect the sound (despite AK being unaware of this as it is not intentionally changed, it happens as a byproduct of the way the cpu and software allocate resources due to new additions, which affects the sound, even though the audio path and code hasn't specifically changed).

I won't update until I know if it will negatively or positively affect the sound, but there hasn't been much discussion here on the topic.

Many people on these forums discuss changes in sound with new firmware for other audio players, lets keep up SR15 people.

I have experienced this with audio players in the past from various manufacturers, Sony, Ibasso, Fiio, Pono, except with these players you could always go back to a previous firmware if you really didn't like the sound of the newer one.

With AK since you are stuck on new firmware once you update I guess there is less point discussing and it's hard to compare the effects on the sound if you can't go back to a previous firmware to compare and confirm your thoughts.

Jan 11, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #863 of 2,727
I think it sounds pretty much the same, I mean it’s hard to tell. It sounded awesome before the firmware and it still sounds awesome.

Although last night I was listening to ‘Left Coast Liqiud’ and it sounded especially holographic. But that could be just because I was really relaxed. :)

Jan 11, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #864 of 2,727
At A&K, the updates do not change anything in the sound. They just add functionality or fix bugs

Jan 11, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #865 of 2,727
I think it sounds pretty much the same, I mean it’s hard to tell. It sounded awesome before the firmware and it still sounds awesome.

Although last night I was listening to ‘Left Coast Liqiud’ and it sounded especially holographic. But that could be just because I was really relaxed. :)

I had the same feeling too. Maybe i am just hallucinating.

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #866 of 2,727
has anyone noticed a change in sound sig since the last firmware update (1.3)?

At A&K, the updates do not change anything in the sound. They just add functionality or fix bugs

I've had the SR15 through all the revisions and have not heard any difference.

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #867 of 2,727
ive also noticed a drop in sound quality since upgraded firmware , to the point I thought maybe 1 of the dac's failed if that's possible at all , also noticed that still after 2 hrs playtime , the unit get to hot to hold .

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #868 of 2,727
ive also noticed a drop in sound quality since upgraded firmware , to the point I thought maybe 1 of the dac's failed if that's possible at all , also noticed that still after 2 hrs playtime , the unit get to hot to hold .

I didn’t see anybody else say the quality dropped and if your SR 15 is too hot to hold anytime - you need a new unit.

Mine has only gotten warm at most.

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #869 of 2,727
Just got the SR15, Sounds wonderful wired but I also want to use it over Bluetooth, problem is the volume is really low even on max, if I cranck up the volume on the headphones themselves it's ok but when switching a track makes the volume low again, frustrating, any help on this ?

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #870 of 2,727
Just got the SR15, Sounds wonderful wired but I also want to use it over Bluetooth, problem is the volume is really low even on max, if I cranck up the volume on the headphones themselves it's ok but when switching a track makes the volume low again, frustrating, any help on this ?

Maybe that is a way designed by A&K to prevent damaging your tympanic membranes due to the loudness of switching click noise of the tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back