Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jan 9, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #826 of 2,727
As it was asked before a short and (afaik) has not been answered:
Tidal with MQA offline truly is available:
Download the latest Tidal APK, Copy to the Folder „App Services“ on your SR15, find it in the Services Menu of your SR15 and hit install.
This will update your Tidal App (keeping all already downloaded music) and allow you to download Tidal Masters Tracks (look for the small M Symbol)
And... yes: It works like a charm and sound great.

It seems like I need to download the albums again in Master Quality. Checking right now, but internet here in Thailand is bit slow.

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #827 of 2,727
[QUOTE="szore, post: 14671109, member: 362728]Burn in your player for 48-72 hours; if you hear noticeable improvement, welcome to the world of burn in. If you don't, turn your unit off and go to bed.

Either way, it's all about the music! Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Adding to the can of worms already opened.
1. Do „burn-in“ your SR15. At least for me it did something huge. When I got the SR15, I did an A/B between the AK70ii and the SR15. I was disappointed, as the 70ii was sounding much more detailed than my recently acquired SR15 - I was startled (and did not believe in IC Burn-in). I decided to give it a try and let it play (any music) for 48hrs straight under load, i.e. headphones connected. Did the A/B again... the SR15 has changed and was miles ahead of the AK70ii now. Soundstage was wider, everything more airy and detailed. The former “cloudiness” had gone. So, that was my experience.
2. What happened? My ears did not adjust to anything, if all - in the meantime I made them even more acquainted to the sound of my old player. So the player must have changed, right? I’m teaching physics at the university and am trying to wrap my head around it: Electrons traveling pathways and therefore “wearing” them out is an obvious misconception of how electronics work. But, as described before... elemental density fluctuations in metals (and therefore fluctuations in conductivity) are normal and heating electronics is mainly with the aim of homogenizing compounds - they are not “worn out” or “aged” by it in any way.
So what would that yield? - electricity is transmitted by fields forming around cables/paths. Inhomogenous material leads to different conductivities, therefore (in ac) varying field densities and hereby currents in other components. - That is bound to feminist sq, isn’t it?
My only other guess would be the batteries chemicals “setting in” and delivering more constant voltage and current over time?

If anyone has a good answer - I’m willing to take it. However and anyway: Burn-In your SR15 and enjoy. :)

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #828 of 2,727
^ I don't have the answer but I've experienced burn in with everything from headphones, to cables, and of course audio players. Burn in is different for different equipment, the AK players lack large capacity capacitors for example so they burn in much quicker than say a Sony WM1A, which takes upwards of 200 hours to reach optimal sound. The AK players also heat up during the burn in period which likely indicates the battery plays a role in their break in.

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #829 of 2,727
I am having issues with the side loaded Tidal APK app. When the screen has turned off, while music keeps playing, the side buttons - to skip to the previous or next song - do not work properly: they skip to random songs. But if I wake the screen up, the buttons function properly.

Anybody has had the same experience?

Jan 9, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #830 of 2,727
I am having issues with the side loaded Tidal APK app. When the screen has turned off, while music keeps playing, the side buttons - to skip to the previous or next song - do not work properly: they skip to random songs. But if I wake the screen up, the buttons function properly.

I have the same issue with mine. Don’t know if it is random, but for sure skips a few songs.
Also, if (with screen off) I use the side buttons to pause and then play a couple of minutes later, it does not continue playing Tidal, but the first song of the album I was listening last in my „regular“ songs. After turning the screen back on, the play button in tidal is doing nothing.
@JasonNYC - do you know anything about that.

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #831 of 2,727
[QUOTE="szore, post: 14671109, member: 362728]Burn in your player for 48-72 hours; if you hear noticeable improvement, welcome to the world of burn in. If you don't, turn your unit off and go to bed.

Either way, it's all about the music! Enjoy.

1. Do „burn-in“ your SR15. At least for me it did something huge. When I got the SR15, I did an A/B between the AK70ii and the SR15. I was disappointed, as the 70ii was sounding much more detailed than my recently acquired SR15 - I was startled (and did not believe in IC Burn-in). I decided to give it a try and let it play (any music) for 48hrs straight under load, i.e. headphones connected. Did the A/B again... the SR15 has changed and was miles ahead of the AK70ii now. Soundstage was wider, everything more airy and detailed. The former “cloudiness” had gone. So, that was my experience.
2. What happened? My ears did not adjust to anything, if all - in the meantime I made them even more acquainted to the sound of my old player. So the player must have changed, right? I’m teaching physics at the university and am trying to wrap my head around it: Electrons traveling pathways and therefore “wearing” them out is an obvious misconception of how electronics work. But, as described before... elemental density fluctuations in metals (and therefore fluctuations in conductivity) are normal and heating electronics is mainly with the aim of homogenizing compounds - they are not “worn out” or “aged” by it in any way.
So what would that yield? - electricity is transmitted by fields forming around cables/paths. Inhomogenous material leads to different conductivities, therefore (in ac) varying field densities and hereby currents in other components. - That is bound to feminist sq, isn’t it?
My only other guess would be the batteries chemicals “setting in” and delivering more constant voltage and current over time?

If anyone has a good answer - I’m willing to take it. However and anyway: Burn-In your SR15 and enjoy. :)[/QUOTE]
Thank you for that!

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #832 of 2,727

If anyone has a good answer - I’m willing to take it. However and anyway: Burn-In your SR15 and enjoy. :)[/QUOTE]
I wrote this post awhile back in another forum, I don't know if it address your question but it may be worth taking a look.

The dap will burn in eventually, but to get there the quickest, run the unit 27/7. If you want to get fancy you can play 20Hz-20kHz tones round the clock; I usually load my dap with music, go to the 'song' menu (as opposed to album, artist and genre), set it for random, loop play, and run it 24/7.

There are people that swear burn-in is not real. I don't understand that, all I can say is they have tin ears. Some people say IC can't burn in, they are wrong, capacitors need to form up and electronic need to by broken in and 'aged' through use. Some people say IC's either 'work' or they 'do not'; zero-sum game. They are wrong. I was an electronics technician in the US Navy, and I worked in electronics manufacturing custom hybrid units in clean rooms building custom parts from scratch for NASA and the Military. IC's do not 'work or 'not work'; it's a continuum. There are chips bonded to substrates with epoxy, these junctions can be compromised or deteriorate over time over a spectrum; sometimes there are 2mil gold wires bonded to chips and substrates; these junctions can be compromised over time. Components age with use (which is why when we make these components in the clean room, we put them in ovens for days or weeks under load to age the components and get them to optimal quality, TESTING their performance with oscilloscopes, etc, to measure their performance changes, and keep them within mil-specs). Some people claim the perceived improvement over time is due to the brain getting accustomed; that is wrong to me. How do I know? I have had several DAPS and IEM's that I bought, sounded less then ideal, burned in for a few days, sound improved, then I had to return item for various reasons and get a new item (identical) and out of the box you go back to square 1 with less than ideal sound. Then the burn in improves sound (again) over the next few days, etc. If it was brain getting used to sound, the new item would just pick up where the returned item left off. People get crazy over this stuff, and of course all this is my opinion.

Burn in your player for 48-72 hours; if you hear noticeable improvement, welcome to the world of burn in. If you don't, turn your unit off and go to bed.

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #833 of 2,727

If anyone has a good answer - I’m willing to take it. However and anyway: Burn-In your SR15 and enjoy. :)
I wrote this post awhile back in another forum, I don't know if it address your question but it may be worth taking a look.

The dap will burn in eventually, but to get there the quickest, run the unit 27/7. If you want to get fancy you can play 20Hz-20kHz tones round the clock; I usually load my dap with music, go to the 'song' menu (as opposed to album, artist and genre), set it for random, loop play, and run it 24/7.

There are people that swear burn-in is not real. I don't understand that, all I can say is they have tin ears. Some people say IC can't burn in, they are wrong, capacitors need to form up and electronic need to by broken in and 'aged' through use. Some people say IC's either 'work' or they 'do not'; zero-sum game. They are wrong. I was an electronics technician in the US Navy, and I worked in electronics manufacturing custom hybrid units in clean rooms building custom parts from scratch for NASA and the Military. IC's do not 'work or 'not work'; it's a continuum. There are chips bonded to substrates with epoxy, these junctions can be compromised or deteriorate over time over a spectrum; sometimes there are 2mil gold wires bonded to chips and substrates; these junctions can be compromised over time. Components age with use (which is why when we make these components in the clean room, we put them in ovens for days or weeks under load to age the components and get them to optimal quality, TESTING their performance with oscilloscopes, etc, to measure their performance changes, and keep them within mil-specs). Some people claim the perceived improvement over time is due to the brain getting accustomed; that is wrong to me. How do I know? I have had several DAPS and IEM's that I bought, sounded less then ideal, burned in for a few days, sound improved, then I had to return item for various reasons and get a new item (identical) and out of the box you go back to square 1 with less than ideal sound. Then the burn in improves sound (again) over the next few days, etc. If it was brain getting used to sound, the new item would just pick up where the returned item left off. People get crazy over this stuff, and of course all this is my opinion.

Burn in your player for 48-72 hours; if you hear noticeable improvement, welcome to the world of burn in. If you don't, turn your unit off and go to bed.

Either way, it's all about the music! Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I read that (and quoted part of it). It was here (in mid dec). As pointed out: From an engineering point of view that is modeled correctly. However: I am still in search for the answer to what it means (physically speaking) to burn ICs in. But I will venture on and (if I find anything) post that into another head-fi thread as to not distract attention from the great sq of the SR15. :wink:

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #837 of 2,727

Thank you. I read that (and quoted part of it). It was here (in mid dec). As pointed out: From an engineering point of view that is modeled correctly. However: I am still in search for the answer to what it means (physically speaking) to burn ICs in. But I will venture on and (if I find anything) post that into another head-fi thread as to not distract attention from the great sq of the SR15. :wink:[/QUOTE]
Just ordered an SR15 today! Coming from a FiiO X5iii and a Hiby R3. Will get it this friday looking forward to pairing it with my Audeze iSine 20's! Of course after the burn in! :)

Congratulations! You're gonna love it! Welcome to the A&K family!

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #838 of 2,727
Is there a way to get rid of the floating backbutton on the sideloaded tidal app? I have it disabled in the settings but it shows up in the tidal app. Not in the standard tidal app though.
No, unfortunately. Since some Android apps require a back button to be present, it cannot be disabled for any app side loaded via the Open App system.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 9, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #839 of 2,727

I believe the physical buttons only work with music playback on the device itself and not in any of the apps, but let me confirm with our dev team.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back