Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Dec 12, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #586 of 2,727
I just gotten mine.

It was in empty state and took a while to charge.

Wifi wasnt working at first but after charging it till 20% and reboot a few times it worked and i got it updated to 1. 12v

Haven't tried open apk but so far it sounded as expected.

Great quality control and tuning.

I have not tested it on big can yet. Will test it on t5p tomorrow.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #587 of 2,727
Hey is there anyway to get back to the artist from the now playing screen besides the back button? I know you can swipe right and you have the songs of the current album.

But say you’re playing a Rush album (2112) and you want to get back to all your Rush albums- is there a way besides the obtrusive back button? I know it’s a knitpick but if that back button was just the < symbol without the circle it would be less obtrusive.

I don’t see any obvious way but I might have missed something. Update went smoothly btw.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #589 of 2,727
there anyway to get back to the artist from the now playing screen besides the back button? I know you can swipe right and you have the songs of the current album.
But say you’re playing a Rush album (2112) and you want to get back to all your Rush albums- is there a way besides the obtrusive back button?
Tap on the album cover on Now Playing screen.
Then press "<" button under "File Path" string.
It will brought you back to Artist --> Rush (if you used Artist view) or to the folder with "2112" (if you used Folder view).

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #590 of 2,727
Tap on the album cover on Now Playing screen.
Then press "<" button under "File Path" string.
It will brought you back to Artist --> Rush (if you used Artist view) or to the folder with "2112" (if you used Folder view).

Thank you very much! Unless I’m using 3rd party apps I can remove the back button now.

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #591 of 2,727
I received a SR15 today to compare it with my SP1000M. I can say that it is day and night. SR15 is neutral and sounds lifeless compared to SPKM. It is much less precise in the trebble and soundstage suffers from that. The sound of SR15 reminds me AK70 a lot. I would not recommend to SR15 owners to listen to Ultima DAPs. However, the price is much much higher (2400$ Vs. 700$). You basically get what you pay

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #592 of 2,727
I received a SR15 today to compare it with my SP1000M. I can say that it is day and night. SR15 is neutral and sounds lifeless compared to SPKM. It is much less precise in the trebble and soundstage suffers from that. The sound of SR15 reminds me AK70 a lot. I would not recommend to SR15 owners to listen to Ultima DAPs. However, the price is much much higher (2400$ Vs. 700$). You basically get what you pay

My experience is similar. Huge upgrade. Although I did like the SR15, it is noticeably behind the M I think.

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #593 of 2,727

What a surprise that a 2400 dollar dap sounds better than 700 dollar dap. I’m coming from an AK70 and I can say SR15 sounds nothing like AK70- it’s much more detailed and dynamic and less hiss.

I can also say I like the SR15 better than opus1 and Sony ZX300 and it’s probably the most enjoyable listen I’ve had so far in portable audio.

I definitely wouldn’t call it neutral or lifeless. I’d hate to think of what you’d thinkof Cayin’s n5ii sound. I would call that fairly neutral.

Hey to each their own, I’m thrilled with the sound the SR15 makes with my ak8tie.

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #594 of 2,727
What a surprise that a 2400 dollar dap sounds better than 700 dollar dap. I’m coming from an AK70 and I can say SR15 sounds nothing like AK70- it’s much more detailed and dynamic and less hiss.

I can also say I like the SR15 better than opus1 and Sony ZX300 and it’s probably the most enjoyable listen I’ve had so far in portable audio.

I definitely wouldn’t call it neutral or lifeless. I’d hate to think of what you’d thinkof Cayin’s n5ii sound. I would call that fairly neutral.

Hey to each their own, I’m thrilled with the sound the SR15 makes with my ak8tie.

As you say, when you have a 2400$ DAP and listen to a 700$ DAP you will think that it is lifeless and not energetic. I had a Kann before SPKM, and I found it too neutral. I think that I like SR15 more than Kann although it is less expensive.
A&K DAPs are excellent but I think that they should improve their screens. There has almost been 0 improvement in the screens for years. I find it not normal to pay 2400$ and get a screen of a 90$ smartphone. They should invest in good screens and they will become perfect

Dec 12, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #595 of 2,727
I just received my SR15 and CD Ripper. I loaded my iTunes library onto an SD card with no problem (except there’s no artwork for CDs i’d ripped in the past). So far things sound good!

However when I try to rip a CD using the Ripper things get weird. Sometimes the SR15 won’t recognize the Ripper and other times it will acknowledge the CD, launch Gracenotes and identify the disc, and then...nothing. Is there a setting I might have overlooked? Firmware is current and I’m stumped but really want this to work.

Also, the Ripper is getting sufficient voltage and current.

Thanks!

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #596 of 2,727
Hi Jason, I was using 9.2.12. Let me try the new one and feed you back. but just to let you know the whole player got really slow, not only tidal.

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #597 of 2,727
Are you going from 3.5mm to 2.5mm or from 2.5mm to 3.5mm?

We do not recommend using an adapter to go from 3.5mm to 2.5, but going from 2.5mm to 3.5mm using an adapter is fine. Most of our headphones and IEMs include a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter.
I know is not the recommended, but I never a problem using an adaptor for 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female on my unbalanced headphones (High R3, Fiio Q5, Fiio X7ii and the new SR15). Do the same with my desktop Topping Dx7s 4pin for to 3.5mm. I hope that keep not being a problem. :)

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #598 of 2,727
I know is not the recommended, but I never a problem using an adaptor for 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female on my unbalanced headphones (High R3, Fiio Q5, Fiio X7ii and the new SR15). Do the same with my desktop Topping Dx7s 4pin for to 3.5mm. I hope that keep not being a problem. :)
Nice to know, I have the adapter but haven’t been brave enough to try it

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #600 of 2,727
Is there a way to disable the Media Scan entirely? Since I don’t use a supported computer OS, the only way to add music to my player is by removing the sdcard and mounting it in a card reader on my computer. When I replace the sdcard in my SR15, I get skipping on random songs until I force a manual re-scan and wait for it to complete. I assume a scan of the sdcard is taking place in the background, which means playing songs tries to access the sdcard at the same time, leading to skipping. Since I don’t use playlists or categories at all, I’d like to disable the Media Scan entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back