Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Nov 25, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #346 of 2,727
While I like the SR 15 sonically, I have two complaints: As others have noted, the screen savers are jokes. Don’t stick at all. Also, I cannot get the fast-forward to work. Have others had ths problem?

Nov 25, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #347 of 2,727
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me.

Im struggling to get my music on the SR15 as I want it. Heres my workflow for getting it on: Buy from Bleep.com (usually), unzip, plug in SR15 (using a macbook pro early 2015; could this be the issue), open android file transfer then drag onto SD card storage.

Im getting album art but there sorting themselves (and naming themselves) as BAND NAME - ALBUM NAME, so that they dont organise themselves properly when I browse through albums, which is how I usually use the player.

Is this an issue with the files, how I am putting them on, the computer. Anyone ran into this or could help. Would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #348 of 2,727
I'm having issues getting USB output from the SR15......I connected an OTG adapter cable to the USB cable going into my Auralic Vega DAC - made sure the Auralic was seeing USB input - and on the SR15, it is on Media Device (MTP).....it won't switch to DAC Input (but that isn't what I want - I'm not trying to output from a computer into the SR15 to use the internal DAC......I want music from the SR15 to go to an external DAC - this is going to be very important once I get my car system back together.

For USB Audio - I have that set on PCM......are there any other settings that I need to look at to get the above to work? This is the same thing as hooking up to a MOJO......

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 1.48.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 1.48.29 PM.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
Nov 26, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #350 of 2,727
Can anyone provide a comparison between the SR15 and the IFI XDSD? Strictly sound wise. I know one is a dap and one is dac, but I’m looking get something portable with great sound. Using IEMs mostly.
I think if you are considering the IFI, you really should consider the Mojo. There is a hell of a lot of innovative tech in that little box.

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #351 of 2,727
I'm having issues getting USB output from the SR15......I connected an OTG adapter cable to the USB cable going into my Auralic Vega DAC - made sure the Auralic was seeing USB input - and on the SR15, it is on Media Device (MTP) ... it won't switch to DAC Input ... I want music from the SR15 to go to an external DAC ...
Have you pressed "External USB" button in Notification Panel of SR15?
It should be pressed, if you want to use Norma as a "transport" in pair with some other DAC.
I've just tested this feature with CEntrance DACportable - no music from DAC until you press this button (it also automatically sets volume to "max" on SR15).

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #352 of 2,727
A33FF118-63D4-47FD-9316-DF1B539E65D2.jpeg
Have you pressed "External USB" button in Notification Panel of SR15?
It should be pressed, if you want to use Norma as a "transport" in pair with some other DAC.
I've just tested this feature with CEntrance DACportable - no music from DAC until you press this button (it also automatically sets volume to "max" on SR15).

Thank you for the reply!

I have the ‘External USB’ and ‘USB Mode’ buttons as part of my main notification panel. When I push WiFi and Bluetooth, they faithfully turn on/off.

When I touch the External USB and USB Mode - nothing happens. See photo

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #353 of 2,727

Thank you for the reply!

I have the ‘External USB’ and ‘USB Mode’ buttons as part of my main notification panel. When I push WiFi and Bluetooth, they faithfully turn on/off.

When I touch the External USB and USB Mode - nothing happens. See photo

Any thoughts?
once you connect the cable to the player and the device, the external USB icon should light up. Once lit, press the icon and it should show a message underneath the icon showing it is connected.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 26, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #355 of 2,727
F0A31BE0-E183-4FF8-BCB1-9DB20DD81802.jpeg 9CB95480-BB4A-4C2B-B662-534902F830E8.jpeg
once you connect the cable to the player and the device, the external USB icon should light up. Once lit, press the icon and it should show a message underneath the icon showing it is connected.

Thank You for replying!!!

1/2 way there - when plugged in, I now get the icon lights up, still no sound though - very puzzling - this set up worked with the FiiO X5iii before I sold it - same cables, etc

Nov 26, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #356 of 2,727
Success!!!!

That is the 2nd time you have given me a solution!

I re-read what you typed - hooked it up again - I hit the lot up icon, and sure enough - I had sound! This will be very helpful this weekend - I have a headphone meet with several friends, and carrying a DAP and connecting it to my DAC is a much simpler set up then the Aries renderer - and, I can connect it to the Chord Dave, the HoloAudio Spring, etc. DACs that will be there.

Now, if I could only figure out the AK Connect......a dealer suggested that I can control the SR15 using the AK Connect app on my phone. Don’t see that option in the manual - I downloaded the app - shows like a player - like the Onkyo app - I can connect to the Synology NAS and play everything through my phone, but that is not helpful

Nov 26, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #357 of 2,727
D1CA5F8B-F420-48F4-883D-56F54C65D684.jpeg I’m 1/2 way here on this question as well :)

I got the WiFi working - read the description of the app again - discovered that I can do the same with the Norma - now I’m playing from the Synology NAS......Wow moment for me - nothing burger for others on here.

Nov 26, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #358 of 2,727
Success!!!!

That is the 2nd time you have given me a solution!

I re-read what you typed - hooked it up again - I hit the lot up icon, and sure enough - I had sound! This will be very helpful this weekend - I have a headphone meet with several friends, and carrying a DAP and connecting it to my DAC is a much simpler set up then the Aries renderer - and, I can connect it to the Chord Dave, the HoloAudio Spring, etc. DACs that will be there.

Now, if I could only figure out the AK Connect......a dealer suggested that I can control the SR15 using the AK Connect app on my phone. Don’t see that option in the manual - I downloaded the app - shows like a player - like the Onkyo app - I can connect to the Synology NAS and play everything through my phone, but that is not helpful

In the AKConnect app you need to specify what your source (library) is and what your player (speaker) is. It defaults the player to your mobile phone. So once you connect your SR15 and mobile to your wifi network and open the app, you will see the SR15 pop up as a 'speaker' and/or 'library'. So to play from your SR15 set it as speaker and use your mobile as library (if your music is in a NAS/Stream). If you want to access music iside the SR15, make the SR15 library as well.

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #359 of 2,727
I think if you are considering the IFI, you really should consider the Mojo. There is a hell of a lot of innovative tech in that little box.

I have both and used them for different reasons. Hard to compare until the SR15 gets MQA support. I’ve had issues with xDSD, so I would not recommend it. When it works sounds great, but it goes mute once in a while and their tech support swears there’s nothing wrong.

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #360 of 2,727
I consider that the Mojo actually makes digital music rather than just sound. That it conveys emotion. I would not expect the SR15 to do that even though it may be technically accomplished. I don't know if that is correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back