Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Oct 30, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #226 of 2,727
There are 2 pages devoted to sound sig and impressions....

Yes, and I was NOT impressed. Sorry, just my opinion. I own it, and the analyses was mediocre.

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #227 of 2,727
I really miss the option to sort albums by Year, especially in Artist view... or at least see the Year tag next to/below the Album title.
I asked the AK support but probably they will never add this feature, I assume...
Is the only workaround to add the year to the Album tag? Like "Year - Album title". That would be the real pain in the ass.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #228 of 2,727
Hello Guys,

Do you have any idea of how sr15 compares to mojo SQ-wise?
I have a mojo and a jh angie. I love the sound of both but fed up playing with two devices. On the other han I dont want to downgrade sq for easier use.
Thanks!

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #229 of 2,727
Hi everyone.

I'd like to ask a technical question (perhaps, JasonNYC from A&K may answer it) - is there some limit to the number of music files in Norma's system?

I've tried to put a lot of music into internal storage (still around 20 GB remained free - guess, it's enough for functioning) + inserted 256 GB card (~100 GB free), unplugged the DAP and got following problem: in Main Menu -> Folder instead of two circles with data about Internal / MicroSD storages there is just 1 spinning circle (loading indicator). And it keeps spinning (I've waited for ~10 minutes - no luck), so no navigation through folders :frowning2:.
I've tried manual rescan (Settings -> System Reset -> Initialize media scan) - it rescanned the whole library, but didn't solve the problem with Folder view (navigation through Artist or Album view worked BTW).

The only thing that solved the problem with spinning circle in Folder view is shutting device down and turning it on (or maybe this + manual rescan prior to the device's restart). Is it expected behavior?
Firmware version - 1.08.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #230 of 2,727
[QUOTE = "punknotyet, post: 14573510, участник: 503870"] Привет всем.

Я хотел бы задать технический вопрос (возможно, [SIZE = 4] JasonNYC [/ SIZE] из A & K может ответить на него) - существует ли ограничение на количество музыкальных файлов в системе Norma?

Я попытался поместить много музыки во внутреннюю память (все еще около 20 ГБ остался свободен - догадываюсь, этого достаточно для работы) + вставлена карта на 256 ГБ (~ 100 ГБ бесплатно), отключил DAP и получил следующую проблему: в Main Меню -> Папка вместо двух кругов с данными о внутренних / MicroSD-хранилищах - всего лишь один вращающийся круг (индикатор загрузки). И он продолжает вращаться (я ждал ~ 10 минут - не повезло), поэтому нет навигации по папкам : Frowning2:.
Я попробовал ручное повторное сканирование (Настройки -> Сброс системы -> Инициализация сканирования медиафайлов) - он отсканировал всю библиотеку, но не решил проблему с представлением папки (навигация через просмотр исполнителя или альбома работала BTW).

Единственное, что разрешило проблему с вращающимся кругом в представлении «Папка», - это выключить устройство и включить его (или, возможно, это + ручное повторное сканирование до перезапуска устройства). Ожидается ли поведение?
Версия прошивки - 1.08. [/ QUOTE]

Я ответил вам на форуме игроков. Дождитесь обновления библиотеки.

Nov 3, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #231 of 2,727
I really miss the option to sort albums by Year, especially in Artist view... or at least see the Year tag next to/below the Album title.
+1. I'd also like to see albums in Artist view in chronological order instead of alphabetical - makes much more sense to me.
It doesn't look to hard to add a button (inside this view or in global settings, similar to specific song addition's options in Playback Settings), that will allow us to switch between alphabetical and chronological modes.

Also it would be great, if search in Main Menu allowed to use Year. For example, press 'Search' in Main Menu, type "2018" and player shows all artists with albums, that came out this year.
Now search by Year doesn't work.

Nov 3, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #232 of 2,727
Hi everyone.

I'd like to ask a technical question (perhaps, JasonNYC from A&K may answer it) - is there some limit to the number of music files in Norma's system?

I've tried to put a lot of music into internal storage (still around 20 GB remained free - guess, it's enough for functioning) + inserted 256 GB card (~100 GB free), unplugged the DAP and got following problem: in Main Menu -> Folder instead of two circles with data about Internal / MicroSD storages there is just 1 spinning circle (loading indicator). And it keeps spinning (I've waited for ~10 minutes - no luck), so no navigation through folders :frowning2:.
I've tried manual rescan (Settings -> System Reset -> Initialize media scan) - it rescanned the whole library, but didn't solve the problem with Folder view (navigation through Artist or Album view worked BTW).

The only thing that solved the problem with spinning circle in Folder view is shutting device down and turning it on (or maybe this + manual rescan prior to the device's restart). Is it expected behavior?
Firmware version - 1.08.
I saw the same a few times, solved with same workaround. Strange behavior.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #235 of 2,727
— Newbie here, I hope this is the right place to post this (noting I don’t have permission to create a new thread, I don’t have much option I reckon —

Recently started considering getting a quality player and considering SR15. I was wondering what is the expected life span of such a product will be?

I understand the sound quality will be there forever and I am not interested in future shiny music formats not playing through.

My question is more about the UI regarding usability and performance, will this slow down as years pass, with new updates to software just like phones/tablets? Will it turn to a unusable brick (or into a USB DAC) in a few years or should I expect a nice player for years to come? 5 years? 7-8?

And if the battery dies, is it easy to have it replaced?

Many thanks.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #236 of 2,727
Jason, any news about the firmware update for the Norma?
We've been testing it internally for about a month already and had been targeting releasing the updated firmware this week, but I haven't gotten an update. Should hopefully know more later today.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 6, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #237 of 2,727
— Newbie here, I hope this is the right place to post this (noting I don’t have permission to create a new thread, I don’t have much option I reckon —

Recently started considering getting a quality player and considering SR15. I was wondering what is the expected life span of such a product will be?

I understand the sound quality will be there forever and I am not interested in future shiny music formats not playing through.

My question is more about the UI regarding usability and performance, will this slow down as years pass, with new updates to software just like phones/tablets? Will it turn to a unusable brick (or into a USB DAC) in a few years or should I expect a nice player for years to come? 5 years? 7-8?

And if the battery dies, is it easy to have it replaced?

Many thanks.
as an owner of DAPs and currently an owner of a FiiO X5 Gen 3, i'm also wanting to buy a AK SR15 Norma.
Like many DAPs eventually the battery will give up but i should hope you would get around 4-5 years.
I've bought the FiiO when it came out and the battery is still behaving like it usually does when i first had it.
i've heard great things about AK DAP batteries but keep in mind these players usually have a battery life of 8-10 hours. it really depends on what kind of files you're playing and how long and at what volume and what headphones you use.

When i use DAPS i turn off wifi, bluetooth, and only ever use pure music mode. i never stream music to it and i play 16 or 24bit FLAC files from a microSD card.

Ive noticed that on my FiiO the micro USB plug at the bottom isnt giving a 100% connection sometimes, if i move the cable slightly or bump it, it might interrupt transfer and cause double copies of some files which is very annoying. I would hope this doesnt happen with any AK DAP but microusb isnt the best interface in general. i would of hoped that AK put a USB-C on the SR15 but if you want that you'd have to get the next models up.

if you treat the player with care, it should last you around 5 years.

AK seems to be an excellent company when it comes to firmware updates and customer service so i would feel like your investment is being taken care of.

as for me, i'm going to be ordering my SR15 norma as a late Christmas gift. because ive currently ordered an RME ADI-2 DAC and thats a bit... more expensive :X

I hope i can plug my future SR15 norma into my ADI-2 DAC and play it through there. time will tell.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #239 of 2,727
as an owner of DAPs and currently an owner of a FiiO X5 Gen 3, i'm also wanting to buy a AK SR15 Norma.
Like many DAPs eventually the battery will give up but i should hope you would get around 4-5 years.
I've bought the FiiO when it came out and the battery is still behaving like it usually does when i first had it.
i've heard great things about AK DAP batteries but keep in mind these players usually have a battery life of 8-10 hours. it really depends on what kind of files you're playing and how long and at what volume and what headphones you use.

When i use DAPS i turn off wifi, bluetooth, and only ever use pure music mode. i never stream music to it and i play 16 or 24bit FLAC files from a microSD card.

Ive noticed that on my FiiO the micro USB plug at the bottom isnt giving a 100% connection sometimes, if i move the cable slightly or bump it, it might interrupt transfer and cause double copies of some files which is very annoying. I would hope this doesnt happen with any AK DAP but microusb isnt the best interface in general. i would of hoped that AK put a USB-C on the SR15 but if you want that you'd have to get the next models up.

if you treat the player with care, it should last you around 5 years.

AK seems to be an excellent company when it comes to firmware updates and customer service so i would feel like your investment is being taken care of.

as for me, i'm going to be ordering my SR15 norma as a late Christmas gift. because ive currently ordered an RME ADI-2 DAC and thats a bit... more expensive :X

I hope i can plug my future SR15 norma into my ADI-2 DAC and play it through there. time will tell.

Thanks for sharing your experience on DAPs Tsukuyomi. I, too, plan to use it for only playing from SD card, no Bluetooth or streaming. Good idea to keep antennas off. I will probably be using it plugged in at the office and on battery outside and at home.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #240 of 2,727
Thanks for sharing your experience on DAPs Tsukuyomi. I, too, plan to use it for only playing from SD card, no Bluetooth or streaming. Good idea to keep antennas off. I will probably be using it plugged in at the office and on battery outside and at home.
Also, i know it can be a bit pricey for a case, but get one! preferably a leather one or something well padded. dont get thoes clear cases that dont cover the front edges.
I plan on getting a nice AK case for my SR15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back