Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Oct 19, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #166 of 2,727
Beyond most peoples budget for just a DAP. i dont think i'll ever pass into that crazy amount. for me a dap 1k or lower is enough for me. unless i really save up for it and unless there is like something absolutely crazy that the dap does that no other does xD
I’m seeking for a Dap mainly bcoz I move around always with no desktop setup. What about you ?

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #167 of 2,727
I’m seeking for a Dap mainly bcoz I move around always with no desktop setup. What about you ?
I can't live without music near me. so i usually carry a dap with me everywhere i go when im outside my home. when im at home i have a desktop setup. i'm not expecting desktop sound outside due to noises and power limitation and im limited to what headphones i can wear (afraid of getting mugged or wearing open back in public). so a good DAP with good mid tier headphones is perfect for me for outside.

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #168 of 2,727
I can't live without music near me. so i usually carry a dap with me everywhere i go when im outside my home. when im at home i have a desktop setup. i'm not expecting desktop sound outside due to noises and power limitation and im limited to what headphones i can wear (afraid of getting mugged or wearing open back in public). so a good DAP with good mid tier headphones is perfect for me for outside.
I see... too bad it doesn’t have quick charge or it would be perfect. I’m still thinking and thinking and thinking..: which DAP :/ DX120, Paw 5000 mk2? Opus#1s or straight away stabbing my wallet and let it bleed for SR15

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #169 of 2,727
Jason, when we can wait the new firmware for the Norma?
Disappointing to have to wait if the other models already received the update and the Norma was released before.
I already tasted with mine SE100, but the Norma is my beloved.

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #170 of 2,727
Surprised there's not many reviews or impressions out there for the SR15. On the fence. Deciding between the ZX300 / iFi XDSD / SR15

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #171 of 2,727
Jason, when we can wait the new firmware for the Norma?
Disappointing to have to wait if the other models already received the update and the Norma was released before.
I already tasted with mine SE100, but the Norma is my beloved.
No official date yet, but my best, unofficial guess is mid to late November the latest. We are currently testing it internally and are supposed to get the next test build of the new firmware on the 25th of this month.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 19, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #172 of 2,727
Surprised there's not many reviews or impressions out there for the SR15. On the fence. Deciding between the ZX300 / iFi XDSD / SR15
i'm also stuck between the ZX300 and SR15, but i like that Astell&Kern have micro usb-b. i think Sony uses their own proprietary usb plug... which imo isnt a selling point for me :/ so because of this i might end up getting the awesome SR15 norma. or... save up a bit more and buy the SE100 as a "end game" DAP for me.

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #173 of 2,727
i'm also stuck between the ZX300 and SR15, but i like that Astell&Kern have micro usb-b. i think Sony uses their own proprietary usb plug... which imo isnt a selling point for me :/ so because of this i might end up getting the awesome SR15 norma. or... save up a bit more and buy the SE100 as a "end game" DAP for me.

There's never an end game bit of tech LOL, we will always be searching for better. The one thing putting me off as well, is a lot people saying some of the A&K players get really warm. I had the sony zx300 before and it never got even close to warm playing for ages. I would like to get it back now I have the hd660s with the 4.4mm balanced to pair with it but that SR15 is calling me. I'm very much drawn to it from an aesthetic front.

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #174 of 2,727
I have the SR15 and the xDSD, but these are very different products. If you want a DAC, I would go for the xDSD, but if you want a DAP the SR15 is great!

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #175 of 2,727
I have the SR15 and the xDSD, but these are very different products. If you want a DAC, I would go for the xDSD, but if you want a DAP the SR15 is great!

Most likely I'd use it on my desk 80% of the time which is why I am considering the XDSD but intrigued by the SR15. How would you say they compare sonically? And is the SR15 a neutral or warm sounding dap? thanks

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #176 of 2,727
There's never an end game bit of tech LOL, we will always be searching for better. The one thing putting me off as well, is a lot people saying some of the A&K players get really warm. I had the sony zx300 before and it never got even close to warm playing for ages. I would like to get it back now I have the hd660s with the 4.4mm balanced to pair with it but that SR15 is calling me. I'm very much drawn to it from an aesthetic front.
ive done a lot of reasearch into the heating issue with the SR15, it seems its only 20-40hrs of burn in required then it wont heat anywhere near as much as people say it does.
i still think i'll be careful of that and use it at home until the heating effect is not a concern.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #177 of 2,727
Most likely I'd use it on my desk 80% of the time which is why I am considering the XDSD but intrigued by the SR15. How would you say they compare sonically? And is the SR15 a neutral or warm sounding dap? thanks
i've heard people say the SR15 is more a warmer sound "Astell&Kern signature sound".

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #179 of 2,727
Oct 19, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #180 of 2,727
A few key questions before making a decision (such a gorgeous DAP):

1) Can you confirm that the SR15 cannot be used as a bluetooth receiver?

2) How is the strength and reliability of the wifi connection (when streaming Tidal)? The wifi connection of the my Fiio X7 was weak and unreliable.

3) When streaming Tidal, is there any audible noise caused by interference (with the wifi)? This was the case with my Fiio X7.

Yes. I got rid of the buggy X7.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back