Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Dec 3, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #422 of 2,727
There was an update this week that contained bug fixes and OS optimizations.

To update, turn on WiFi. Make sure you are connected to the internet. A message should pop up alerting you to a software update. If one does not, go to settings, update, click on system update and it should prompt you to download and install the update.

Thanks for your help, but still does not work. I ordered a micro USB OTG cable per rbslcom to see if that makes it work.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #423 of 2,727
Skeptical, but it was cheap, so I ordered one.

Skeptical? Every DAP I have used to connect to an external DAC via USB required the use of an OTG cable. Astell & Kern notes this in the SR15 information on their website with pictures of how to connect it (https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...scg=CG232020&spos=2&tcg=&tpos=0&gcode=SC32080):

USB Audio

A simple USB connection will allow the A&norma SR15 to be used as a digital music storage device and
/or pre-amp to output digital audio through USB.
The A&norma SR15 transfers DSD in native format through DoP (DSD over PCM) and converts DSD to PCM for output
for external USB Audio that do not support DoP.

* USB audio (Digital Out) output is available only when an external device can accept digital input through USB.
* DoP (DSD over PCM): This is the standard for transferring DSD data to a USB interface and sends DSD data by mounting them onto PCM data frames.
* The type of OTG cable to connect the SR15 with a portable amp differs depending on the specs of the amp. An OTG cable is not included in the SR15 package.

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #424 of 2,727
Skeptical? Every DAP I have used to connect to an external DAC via USB required the use of an OTG cable. Astell & Kern notes this in the SR15 information on their website with pictures of how to connect it (https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...scg=CG232020&spos=2&tcg=&tpos=0&gcode=SC32080):

USB Audio

A simple USB connection will allow the A&norma SR15 to be used as a digital music storage device and
/or pre-amp to output digital audio through USB.
The A&norma SR15 transfers DSD in native format through DoP (DSD over PCM) and converts DSD to PCM for output
for external USB Audio that do not support DoP.

* USB audio (Digital Out) output is available only when an external device can accept digital input through USB.
* DoP (DSD over PCM): This is the standard for transferring DSD data to a USB interface and sends DSD data by mounting them onto PCM data frames.
* The type of OTG cable to connect the SR15 with a portable amp differs depending on the specs of the amp. An OTG cable is not included in the SR15 package.

For the record, I certainly appreciate the feedback. The reason I am skeptical is that I have had two sets of cables in play, and it still did not work. One was, I believe, an OTG cable that came with the Hugo. Interestingly, the male plug would not fully go into the female. The people at the Grammaphone store said it was going in far enough, but perhaps there were mistaken. I will find out soon.

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #425 of 2,727
Has anyone tried the SR15 with a pair of BeyerDynamic DT1990 Pros ? i'd be curious to know what the sound is like :)

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #426 of 2,727
For the record, I certainly appreciate the feedback. The reason I am skeptical is that I have had two sets of cables in play, and it still did not work. One was, I believe, an OTG cable that came with the Hugo. Interestingly, the male plug would not fully go into the female. The people at the Grammaphone store said it was going in far enough, but perhaps there were mistaken. I will find out soon.

Since the Hugo 2 comes with an OTG cable, another thing I have learned is that the OTG end of the cable needs to be connected to the DAP (SR15), but I have never seen a cable that identified which is the OTG end, so, if I have a problem with it not connecting the first thing I try is to reverse the cable. Always worth a try. As far as the male plug not fully going into the the female, that is a common condition because the connectors are not very standard size wise. Insertion is most likely not the problem.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #427 of 2,727
Since the Hugo 2 comes with an OTG cable, another thing I have learned is that the OTG end of the cable needs to be connected to the DAP (SR15), but I have never seen a cable that identified which is the OTG end, so, if I have a problem with it not connecting the first thing I try is to reverse the cable. Always worth a try. As far as the male plug not fully going into the the female, that is a common condition because the connectors are not very standard size wise. Insertion is most likely not the problem.

It is possible that I did not try reversing it, though at that point I still had old firmware on the AK, so perhaps it still would not have worked. I will watch for that when I get the new cable. What does OTG stand for?

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #428 of 2,727
It is possible that I did not try reversing it, though at that point I still had old firmware on the AK, so perhaps it still would not have worked. I will watch for that when I get the new cable. What does OTG stand for?
OTG = On the Go

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #430 of 2,727
Sorry, what version software is the SR15 running? There was a bug in an earlier version regarding USB output that was fixed. The current firmware version of the SR15 is 1.11. You can check the firmware version by going to settings, System information. Second line is Firmware version.

Speaking about ver 1.1 I hate the way the ‘back’ button is so close to the ‘next’ button on the now playing screen. It’s too close and that circle spoils the symmetry.

Could you maybe put an idea forward of making it just a small arrow (no circle) and move it to the upper left of the screen- or somewhere else it’s not as obtrusive. :)

Other than that, this is easily the best ‘small’ dap that you can buy and still have top tier sound. And it looks totally tubular, well angular ha ha. It’s a real stunner.

TY.

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #431 of 2,727
Speaking about ver 1.1 I hate the way the ‘back’ button is so close to the ‘next’ button on the now playing screen. It’s too close and that circle spoils the symmetry.

Could you maybe put an idea forward of making it just a small arrow (no circle) and move it to the upper left of the screen- or somewhere else it’s not as obtrusive. :)

Other than that, this is easily the best ‘small’ dap that you can buy and still have top tier sound. And it looks totally tubular, well angular ha ha. It’s a real stunner.

TY.
The back button can be dragged around the screen and placed somewhere else.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 4, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #432 of 2,727
The back button can be dragged around the screen and placed somewhere else.

Lol well colour me simple. That’s great news, I still think a small arrow would be nicer but hey moving it is a great feature. I’ll have to explore the menu more, just recieved it yesterday.

Thanks for the quick response. I’m listening to Jeff Kashiwa ‘Another Door Opens’ right now using my AK T8iE and it sounds dreamy. Haven’t even tried balanced yet.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #433 of 2,727
I'm hoping A&K settle their supplier issues with Canada so my local audio shop can re-stock and order my SR15 :) im so impatient.

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #434 of 2,727
I'm hoping A&K settle their supplier issues with Canada so my local audio shop can re-stock and order my SR15 :) im so impatient.

It’s really nice, and a step up from Fiio X5iii which I also owned. But the sound wasn’t dynamic enough for me and it had lots of bugs at the time.

Very clear and detailed, but with the ak sound sig of musicality. Not as warm as the Fiio.

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #435 of 2,727
Lol well colour me simple. That’s great news, I still think a small arrow would be nicer but hey moving it is a great feature. I’ll have to explore the menu more, just recieved it yesterday.

Thanks for the quick response. I’m listening to Jeff Kashiwa ‘Another Door Opens’ right now using my AK T8iE and it sounds dreamy. Haven’t even tried balanced yet.

Actually you can even deactivate the Back Button by holding and dragging it to the middle. You will always have enough other options to go back:
- Swipe from left: Open main menu
- Tap Album Art, bottom left: Back to previous screen, I.e. back button
- Home (small circle below screen): Back to Now Playing view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back