Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Aug 29, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #2,446 of 2,727
Sorry, but it's hard to believe, what you say. The Sony ZX507 is on the level of the AK Norma via sound quality, that's sure, so the SP1000M sounds just much better.

Have you owned all four products mentioned? I have, and those are my findings, you can even search my profile to find the classified sale threads of mine for SR15, SE100 and SP1000M. You may not come to the same conclusion as me, we don't all have the same preferences. Looking at your profile, looks like you haven't even owned any high end dap's, so I'm not even sure what experience your basing your deductions on. Gotta love head-fi, people not even having heard the daps in question commenting on which is better.

I am an ex AK lover, why else would I go from SR15 to SE100 to SP1000M, and they all sound great, each better than the last. Although the sound quality difference between them is not enough to reflect the huge increase in price between each model, the SP1000M is terrible value.

Then I come to the Sony ZX507, which sounds best of the bunch to me, and the 4.4mm connection is inarguably better than 2.5mm. In a nutshell, the ZX507 sounds most natural, most life-like, while the SP1000M can put the details further in your face. Compared to the SR15, the ZX507 does better in every aspect of sound to my ears.

Hi, returned my SR15 (cost $450, new!) because I found it wasn't that better than my Teac P90 .

I am now in touch with a SE100 2nd hand and wondering on your comments ..... So still find the SR15 that good?

I forgot to weigh in on the Teac P90, I own one currently, bought years ago and never sold because it sounded brilliant, but the user interface is terrible so I don't use it often.
On sound alone the P90 can compete with many daps costing over twice it's price. Another dap I still have because it sounds brilliant and punches well above it's price is the Pono, but again the user interface isn't great so I don't use it often. I couldn't bring myself to sell these two, they are unique gems.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #2,449 of 2,727
Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #2,450 of 2,727
Then I come to the Sony ZX507, which sounds best of the bunch to me, and the 4.4mm connection is inarguably better than 2.5mm. In a nutshell, the ZX507 sounds most natural, most life-like, while the SP1000M can put the details further in your face. Compared to the SR15, the ZX507 does better in every aspect of sound to my ears.

This is always kinda fascinating to me. I mean, not to beat a dead horse, but after a certain point sound profiles are simply personal preferences... I don't have much to add there as I refuse to spend more than $500-700 on a player, so I will probably never experience what the TOTL stuff sounds like. In my segment and with the player I own, I prefer the Shanling M6 sound to the SR15. But the SR15 still sounds pretty good all things considered (and I will admit what was said here before its sound and operability are great - but it has some annoying hardware limitations)

Aug 29, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #2,452 of 2,727
Hey guys!

Im looking for a portable DAP for Gym use and im kinda stuck on this. Do you guys think will work just fine for sports or might it be too "delicate" for this?

Another option im considering is just going for the Fiio M6 because its cheap and light. I need Tidal, offline even better.

Aug 30, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #2,453 of 2,727
Have you owned all four products mentioned? I have, and those are my findings, you can even search my profile to find the classified sale threads of mine for SR15, SE100 and SP1000M. You may not come to the same conclusion as me, we don't all have the same preferences. Looking at your profile, looks like you haven't even owned any high end dap's, so I'm not even sure what experience your basing your deductions on. Gotta love head-fi, people not even having heard the daps in question commenting on which is better.

I am an ex AK lover, why else would I go from SR15 to SE100 to SP1000M, and they all sound great, each better than the last. Although the sound quality difference between them is not enough to reflect the huge increase in price between each model, the SP1000M is terrible value.

I forgot to weigh in on the Teac P90, I own one currently, bought years ago and never sold because it sounded brilliant, but the user interface is terrible so I don't use it often.
On sound alone the P90 can compete with many daps costing over twice it's price. Another dap I still have because it sounds brilliant and punches well above it's price is the Pono, but again the user interface isn't great so I don't use it often. I couldn't bring myself to sell these two, they are unique gems.
Tempted to buy the Sony you mentioned, it is on offer for round 550$ where I live. Dam'n!!

Does it do TuneIn or Tidal?

EDIT: Just learnt it does Tidal but it is capped volumewiese so not for me. Anything else @T.R.A.N.C.E. good sounding SQ ??

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #2,454 of 2,727
SR15's battery life is one of the main reasons that I recently decided to upgrade to the SR25.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,456 of 2,727
Apart from the battery life what's your impressions of the major differences in the move to the SR25, did you consider anything else before upgrading? is it a lot more responsive?

It's mainly the battery life, the increase in size and screen resolution.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #2,458 of 2,727
thanks, any difference in responsiveness, is the sound signature any different?

I can't comment on any differences in sound signature until I've heard them side by side, but there seems to be a divide in the community where some groups hear differences while some don't.

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #2,460 of 2,727
Tempted to buy the Sony you mentioned, it is on offer for round 550$ where I live. Dam'n!!

Does it do TuneIn or Tidal?

EDIT: Just learnt it does Tidal but it is capped volume wise so not for me. Anything else @T.R.A.N.C.E. good sounding SQ ??

Yeah you don't want to buy any Sony product from Europe, they are all volume capped, but if you import from Japan or US you will get a non capped version.

I don't have any other recommendations if you need streaming, the SE100 is still a solid option if you can find one second hand for around $800, still better than the dap's from iBasso and Fiio imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back