Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jul 24, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #2,431 of 2,727
I discovered a trick today for Amazon Music. If you go straight to Amazon Music after a reboot, the "Device Capability:" in Amazon shows as 24/48 and that limits the PCM rate within the app. But, if you reboot and play a 24/192 track locally (from SD card) prior to starting Amazon Music, the "Device Capability:" increases to 24/192 and the higher PCM rate tracks play perfectly...

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #2,432 of 2,727
Hi, I am a new member. I love music and invest as far as possible in hi fi equipment that gives me a good quality listening experience. I look at reviews but am guided by what I hear as I have to admit I find some of the technical stuff difficult to grasp! For portable listening my favourite headphones are wireless Sennheiser M3s (over ears). I’ve used these with a Pioneer XDP-30 but this has just given up the ghost. I was thinking of taking advantage of the great offers on the outgoing SR-15, (I can’t afford the new SR-25!), but was unsure as to whether it would drive my Sennheisers. I think I read somewhere that there is no issue with wireless/Bluetooth headphones as they handle the power sent to the speaker elements internally however I have been a bit concerned reading some threads which say how quiet the volume levels on some headphones are with the SR-15. So to cut a long story short, should I be ok with the SR-15/Sennheiser M3 combination for wireless listening? Thanks for your thoughts.

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #2,433 of 2,727
I own the XDP-02U which is similar if not identically same to your Pioneer and just returned my SR15 as I failed to identify any better sound quality when using IEM or earbuds. The SR15 goes louder than the Pioneer but it is irrelevant when only high sensitive IEM are involved. You may invest in better IEM.

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #2,434 of 2,727
my bad, wrong thread.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #2,435 of 2,727
Hi all!
I have a problem with SR15 two years later. The touch button at the bottom not working. Also, the left side of the screen (5 mm across the entire screen) stopped responding to touch. Therefore, you cannot enter the correct device name, password, or Wi-Fi network name. Factory reset doesn't help. Has anyone had such problems?

I wrote to support A&K, but they have not answered me for a week already.

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #2,436 of 2,727
Hi all! I've just ordered the SR 15. I'm going to use it with the Sennheiser IE 800 S IEM. Yet I have as DAP the Sony NWA-105. Two questions: 1. How does the SR 15 sound without EQ, especially the bass response? 2. How does the SR 15 sound compared to the Sony NWA-105? Thanks for all answers. D

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #2,437 of 2,727
Been enjoying my SR15, but an audio shop near me had a flash sale on the SE100 for 1k, sooo I now own a SE100 and am listening to it through Grado GH2 as I type this. It sounds a bit bright and edgy right now but I'm sure it will settle down with some play time. So far the SR15 sounds better haha.
Hi, returned my SR15 (cost $450, new!) because I found it wasn't that better than my Teac P90 .

I am now in touch with a SE100 2nd hand and wondering on your comments ..... So still find the SR15 that good?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #2,438 of 2,727
I’m really not overwhelmed by my SR15 after a few months of (light, occasional) use. There are moments where the sound blows me away.

But I am finding the WiFi very weak. Even in rooms where iPhones and computers have very good signal strength, the AK15 will be stuck on one bar or zero. This is a big problem for me as I had planned to use the device to stream ultra HD music on Amazon music. Again, when the signal is OK and the album is the right quality, the music sounds exquisite. However, I have found on several occasions that the poor WiFi means that HD tracks will only download or stream in standard quality (basically MP3). Which entirely defeats the point of having a device like this. It often feels like although the music/sound elements of this device are of a good spec, some of the other aspects (screen, WiFi etc) are tech straight out of the spare parts bin from a decade ago.

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #2,439 of 2,727
I’m really not overwhelmed by my SR15 after a few months of (light, occasional) use. There are moments where the sound blows me away.

But I am finding the WiFi very weak. Even in rooms where iPhones and computers have very good signal strength, the AK15 will be stuck on one bar or zero. This is a big problem for me as I had planned to use the device to stream ultra HD music on Amazon music. Again, when the signal is OK and the album is the right quality, the music sounds exquisite. However, I have found on several occasions that the poor WiFi means that HD tracks will only download or stream in standard quality (basically MP3). Which entirely defeats the point of having a device like this. It often feels like although the music/sound elements of this device are of a good spec, some of the other aspects (screen, WiFi etc) are tech straight out of the spare parts bin from a decade ago.
Yeah I think you and I will end up in the same "bucket".
From a sound perspective, I've definitely found quite an improvement from my previous player.
But the hardware part (outside of the music related components) are, IMO, keeping the SR15 back. It's big, but the battery life isn't great. The screen is nice I guess. But it's slow to start. Navigation is ok, we know how to do touch interfaces these days and after all, this is android. An old-ass version of android but...
I don't really care that much about the wifi because the music I listen to on this I bought so I have flac files... But your comment means I probably won't be able to stream when I'm at relatives for instance. Which isn't a huge issue just a bummer.

I should also try and find that balanced cable again :thinking:

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #2,440 of 2,727
Hi all! I've got yesterday my brand new SR15, it just arrived from Spain via Ebay. I bought it cheap (550 USD), and I'm using it now with the fantastic Sennheiser IE 800 S. This pair sounds just amazing, I can finally experience a real high-end hi-fi sound from a pocket-hi-fi. The SR15 sounds definitely better than my former DAP, the Sony NWA-105. The AK sounds more lifelike, I get more details, better soundstage, layering, instrument separation, and it's just simply more enjoyable to listen. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 5702.JPG
    5702.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 5703.JPG
    5703.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 5705.JPG
    5705.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 28, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #2,444 of 2,727
Hi, returned my SR15 (cost $450, new!) because I found it wasn't that better than my Teac P90 .

I am now in touch with a SE100 2nd hand and wondering on your comments ..... So still find the SR15 that good?

Hi. SE100 is definitely a step up from SR15. I also went on to purchase a SP1000M which is again an audible step up from SE100. After owning the SP1000M several months I bought a Sony ZX507, and I was surprised to find I preferred the sound of the ZX507 to the SP1000M, after a month of contemplation I sold the SP1000M and kept the ZX507. So my current dap recommendation is the Sony ZX507, but there are caveats like it sounds best out of the 4.4mm balanced (the improvement over the 3.5mm is more substantial than the SP1000M 3.5mm vs 2.5mm) and the Sony is not as powerful as the AK's, although it will drive anything well other than truly desktop orientated full size headphones, which no dap can confidently drive anyway (just to different degrees, like acceptable or unlistenable). One thing that cannot be understated is how much nicer the 4.4mm connection of the Sony is compared to the 2.5mm AK, the AK feels like a cheap toy that will break, the Sony feels tough and premium, now the nicest way to plug in any headphone. The ergonomics of the device are clearly in favor of the Sony, build quality is equal between them. The fluidity of the UI on the ZX507 is similar to the SR15 though, the SE100 and SP1000M seem to have better CPU's.

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #2,445 of 2,727
Hi. SE100 is definitely a step up from SR15. I also went on to purchase a SP1000M which is again an audible step up from SE100. After owning the SP1000M several months I bought a Sony ZX507, and I was surprised to find I preferred the sound of the ZX507 to the SP1000M, after a month of contemplation I sold the SP1000M and kept the ZX507.

Sorry, but it's hard to believe, what you say. The Sony ZX507 is on the level of the AK Norma via sound quality, that's sure, so the SP1000M sounds just much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back