Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Feb 15, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #4,127 of 5,840
I do not explicitly select a channel, which is normally chosen by the router (BT smart hub). Can you please talk about it in detail how you solved it eventually? Thank you.
It seems that I should contact A&K.

Not sure if there is anything around it causing the interference. Is the same issue when you move around the house, or in another location? My SP1000 is my only n device that I've found channel crash with another router next to my house, so I need to switch the channel so avoid the channel interference. But I think you are on ac with SP2000 under 5GHz.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-change-the-wi-fi-channel-on-my-bt-hub

Anyway, I'd done a few try-and-error test on the channels before to fix the issue. not sure if you understand what i was saying. May be really better to as for support.

You can find similar issue on the SP1000 thread and no solution at the end.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #4,128 of 5,840
Not sure if there is anything around it causing the interference. Is the same issue when you move around the house, or in another location? My SP1000 is my only n device that I've found channel crash with another router next to my house, so I need to switch the channel so avoid the channel interference. But I think you are on ac with SP2000 under 5GHz.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-change-the-wi-fi-channel-on-my-bt-hub

Anyway, I'd done a few try-and-error test on the channels before to fix the issue. not sure if you understand what i was saying. May be really better to as for support.

You can find similar issue on the SP1000 thread and no solution at the end.

I see. I understand what you are suggesting, but BT smart hub 2 currently is unable to split wireless bands so I can't check if it would help if I give an explicit wireless band to sp2000. My sp2000 keeps disconnecting wifi when non-activating (a.k.a. not using). Do you see this case on your sp1k?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #4,129 of 5,840
I see. I understand what you are suggesting, but BT smart hub 2 currently is unable to split wireless bands so I can't check if it would help if I give an explicit wireless band to sp2000. My sp2000 keeps disconnecting wifi when non-activating (a.k.a. not using). Do you see this case on your sp1k?

My issue before was it always disconnected awhile not matter in user or not. My action was to shift the entire channel for all n devices and actually my SP1000 is the only one. You case appears more like a "eco mode". How about to try sharing the wifi from your phone to test if it is the router issue?

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #4,130 of 5,840
My issue before was it always disconnected awhile not matter in user or not. My action was to shift the entire channel for all n devices and actually my SP1000 is the only one. You case appears more like a "eco mode". How about to try sharing the wifi from your phone to test if it is the router issue?

My sp2000 is the same as yours sp1000 - disconnected after a while no matter in use or not. How strangely, it won't drop out of wifi if connected to my iPhone hotpot.

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #4,131 of 5,840
It seems that I should contact A&K.

Does the problem also appear when you are close to the Router with no walls in between the DAP & Router? 2.4ghz Wifi is in most cases the safer bet as it works over longer ranges and more walls compared to 5ghz. 5ghz is better for high throughput, though. But that’s not needed with a DAP in regular use. Only for downloading large collections at once.

This does not apply for extremely crowded environments with tens of 2.4ghz networks that might interfere each other. Then 5ghz is preferable even for stability because it is not in widespread use compared to 2.4ghz.

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #4,132 of 5,840
Does the problem also appear when you are close to the Router with no walls in between the DAP & Router? 2.4ghz Wifi is in most cases the safer bet as it works over longer ranges and more walls compared to 5ghz. 5ghz is better for high throughput, though. But that’s not needed with a DAP in regular use. Only for downloading large collections at once.

This does not apply for extremely crowded environments with tens of 2.4ghz networks that might interfere each other. Then 5ghz is preferable even for stability because it is not in widespread use compared to 2.4ghz.

Yes, it is existing no matter how close to the router. The wifi signal is actually saying "excellent" when connecting. It just keeps dropping out a few minutes after not using.

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #4,133 of 5,840
My sp2000 is the same as yours sp1000 - disconnected after a while no matter in use or not. How strangely, it won't drop out of wifi if connected to my iPhone hotpot.
Most likely your hub if you are not experiencing the same issues with your phone hotspot. Had three others in the past from the UK contact me with the exact issue. Disconnects with BT equipment, no issues when using phone hotspot. Two exchanged their routers with BT and the issue was resolved.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 16, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #4,134 of 5,840
Yes, it is existing no matter how close to the router. The wifi signal is actually saying "excellent" when connecting. It just keeps dropping out a few minutes after not using.

Hello Sir,

While I do not have experience with BT devices, I do have experience with similar devices here in the US. I often frown on using "supplied" internet wifi solutions as BT (UK) Spectrum (US) Frontier (US) et all. These devices are subject to the internet providers updates and configuration changes that can sometimes cause havoc with both simple and complex home networks. They are, to a degree, more subject to hacking as well. The solution is to add your own Wifi router such as a Netgear to your existing BT network and connecting to the NetGear rather than the BT.

Adding your own device allow you to completely control the connections to the web as well as the IP address assigned to those devices. I have an extensive home automation system along with a host of other web enabled devices. In my home I have no less than 40 odd devices trying to connect at any one point in time. being able to control the configuration is critical for me due to my network

My network uses a Internet modem (cable modem) supplied by the internet provider - this is the same as your BT device. I connect my Netgear wifi modem to the internet modem via a wired cat5 or cat 6 cable. my problematic wifi devices then all connect to the NetGear wired or wifi. The only connection to the Internet modem is the Netgear. The cable modem can now do whatever it wants to: roboot, reconfigure whatever. The cable modem only sees the one Netgear device. The NetGear easily reconnects to the internet modem if there is a service interruption. The Netgear does not change any of its inbound connections when this happens so all is good. Your own wifi router such as a netGear also has its own firewall. so now you have the BT firewall and a second firewall in the NetGear. while nothing is truly secure on the web. this makes it a lot harder to break-in. Netgear software (or any other owned wifi router) will allow you to be very specific with how you connect as well as what device is using what port.

Side note: BT may not like to see another Wifi router connected to it. this happens here on one of my Spectrum internet modems. The solution is to add a network switch in-between the internet modem and the wifi router. its silly if you have to do this, but it is worth a note. There are ways to configure this so a switch is not necessary, but they are often more problematic and a simple 4 port Switch is cheap. A local computer shop will tell you if you need to do this as they have experience with BT in your area.

I have never had an issue with my AK connecting to the NetGear. Just wanted to present you with another option for solving your problem. Best of Luck

Feb 16, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #4,135 of 5,840
Hello Sir,

While I do not have experience with BT devices, I do have experience with similar devices here in the US. I often frown on using "supplied" internet wifi solutions as BT (UK) Spectrum (US) Frontier (US) et all. These devices are subject to the internet providers updates and configuration changes that can sometimes cause havoc with both simple and complex home networks. They are, to a degree, more subject to hacking as well. The solution is to add your own Wifi router such as a Netgear to your existing BT network and connecting to the NetGear rather than the BT.

Adding your own device allow you to completely control the connections to the web as well as the IP address assigned to those devices. I have an extensive home automation system along with a host of other web enabled devices. In my home I have no less than 40 odd devices trying to connect at any one point in time. being able to control the configuration is critical for me due to my network

My network uses a Internet modem (cable modem) supplied by the internet provider - this is the same as your BT device. I connect my Netgear wifi modem to the internet modem via a wired cat5 or cat 6 cable. my problematic wifi devices then all connect to the NetGear wired or wifi. The only connection to the Internet modem is the Netgear. The cable modem can now do whatever it wants to: roboot, reconfigure whatever. The cable modem only sees the one Netgear device. The NetGear easily reconnects to the internet modem if there is a service interruption. The Netgear does not change any of its inbound connections when this happens so all is good. Your own wifi router such as a netGear also has its own firewall. so now you have the BT firewall and a second firewall in the NetGear. while nothing is truly secure on the web. this makes it a lot harder to break-in. Netgear software (or any other owned wifi router) will allow you to be very specific with how you connect as well as what device is using what port.

Side note: BT may not like to see another Wifi router connected to it. this happens here on one of my Spectrum internet modems. The solution is to add a network switch in-between the internet modem and the wifi router. its silly if you have to do this, but it is worth a note. There are ways to configure this so a switch is not necessary, but they are often more problematic and a simple 4 port Switch is cheap. A local computer shop will tell you if you need to do this as they have experience with BT in your area.

I have never had an issue with my AK connecting to the NetGear. Just wanted to present you with another option for solving your problem. Best of Luck

Thanks a lot!

If I'm understanding correctly, I need to get a Netgear router (can you suggest a model) connected to my BT modem router via cat5/cat6 cable, and connect all my devices to Netgear. Or is that okay if I find another third-party modem router, like TP-link vr2800? or it is better using the combination of modem router from the internet supplier (BT) and a router which connected to the modem router?

By the way, I have contacted BT this morning and they will send me another older version of BT modem router soon just for a try though they insisted on no issues with the device. If this does not solve the issue, I will then try using a Netgear router.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #4,136 of 5,840
Hi all,

I will be joining the SP2K camp soon- just wondering about the different colour options.
Trying to decide between gold, copper and stainless steel.

Any major positives/negatives to any of these options (outside of the subjective preference for a colour/case combination)?

I understand that copper is seen as having a positive influence on the sound and suppose that gold&black are probably more durable (PVD coating) and may retain their value better by virtue of being limited editions.

Any words of advice?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #4,137 of 5,840
Thanks a lot!

If I'm understanding correctly, I need to get a Netgear router (can you suggest a model) connected to my BT modem router via cat5/cat6 cable, and connect all my devices to Netgear. Or is that okay if I find another third-party modem router, like TP-link vr2800? or it is better using the combination of modem router from the internet supplier (BT) and a router which connected to the modem router?

By the way, I have contacted BT this morning and they will send me another older version of BT modem router soon just for a try though they insisted on no issues with the device. If this does not solve the issue, I will then try using a Netgear router.

I tend to opt for using the supplied internet modem from the internet provider since it will update automatically for provider changes (manually having to update a third party modem can be a pain and obsolescence can also be an issue) and then connecting that device via Ethernet cable to my Wireless router. both of these devices btw are on a backup power supply. so the two device system in my opinion is the best solution

Here is why: the internet modem is going to update, connect and disconnect as dictated by the internet provider. It may also fail completely and need replacing by the internet provider. If your only connection to the internet modem is your own supplied wireless router. replacing the internet modem is quick swap and will not require reconfiguring any wireless or wired devices since they all be connected to your wireless router (all the devices connected to the wireless router will maintain there IP (internet protocol) addresses as long as you dont turn off the wireless router.

your wireless router since it is owned and maintained by you will not reboot, or change configurations unless you tell to. This makes it much easier to control your network. If you ge into home control such as lighting, temperature and audio control of the network becomes a key concern. since every light switch that is controlled will have its own IP address. I checked my network last night and have over 32 wired connections. Wireless was a big list.

Here is my recommendation:

BT Modem supplied by BT. (does not need to be wireless btw)--------> Cat6e or 5e (6 is better) wire --------> Netgear or comparable Wireless router (not a modem, you dont need a modem as you are using BT --------> All wired and wireless devices (these all connect to the Wireless router) nothing connects to the BT modem accept the wireless router.

hope this helps

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #4,138 of 5,840
Anyone got a link for a shop selling sp2k Dignis cases in the UK/Europe

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #4,139 of 5,840
Have an SP1000 but considering selling it to buy the SP2000. Would the SP2000 render my SP1000 redundant, or do they both have strengths and weaknesses that justify keeping both? BTW I dont need the SP1000 amp for anything, so that is a irrelevant option in my decision process, since I strictly use low power IEM's..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back