Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #4,141 of 5,840
Might be a silly question:
  1. Where am I supposed to plug in the IEM (akg k3003) if I'd like to use sp2000 as DAC to MacBook Pro? sp2000 or mac's 3.5mm socket?
    • I thought it should be sp2000. However, I'm not sure if there is any problem with my ear - I can't hear the noticeable difference between plugging k3003 into sp2000 (USB-DAC mode) and Mac. In both scenarios, sp2000 was connected to mac with USB-DAC mode ON.
  2. Does the sound from sp2000 solely the same as using sp2000 as MBP's DAC?
    • I assume it would be better with sp2000 solely as there might be some interference from mac if using usb-dac mode.
  3. Does the USB cable matter when using USB-DAC mode?

Thank you.

@denis1976

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #4,142 of 5,840
Hello
1.plug into sp2000
2.i use the USB dac has a source to connect my pc to my hi-fi system to play tidal, that way, with line out at 3v the diference between the sp2000 and pc alone is massive, I never used the USB dac to ear by Iems or headphones
3.yes, jitter bug helps very much too

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #4,143 of 5,840
Hello
1.plug into sp2000
2.i use the USB dac has a source to connect my pc to my hi-fi system to play tidal, that way, with line out at 3v the diference between the sp2000 and pc alone is massive, I never used the USB dac to ear by Iems or headphones
3.yes, jitter bug helps very much too

Thanks! Am I understanding that it gives better overall listening experience from sp2000 alone rather than connect it to pc/mac with USB-DAC mode?

In terms of line out, do you mean to output sp2000 to AMP?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #4,144 of 5,840
No, the sp2000 must be awsome doing the USB dac and hearing it with headphones, the thing is that I didnt experience it yet, so I can give my opinion, by line out connected to a hifi system is a great performer, doing usb dac, or listening the internal storage as a source, yes connecting to an amp with a 3.5mm cable or 2.5mm(balanced)to a normal audio amplifier by rca or xlr

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #4,145 of 5,840
Hi,

Anyone knows how to create a playlist on MacOS and transfer it to sp2000?

I have tried to create .m3u file in the same format as .m3u which was created inside sp2000, but there are no music shown in the created playlist.

Thanks.

@JasonNYC

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #4,146 of 5,840
Hi all,

I will be joining the SP2K camp soon- just wondering about the different colour options.
Trying to decide between gold, copper and stainless steel.

Any major positives/negatives to any of these options (outside of the subjective preference for a colour/case combination)?

I understand that copper is seen as having a positive influence on the sound and suppose that gold&black are probably more durable (PVD coating) and may retain their value better by virtue of being limited editions.

Any words of advice?
I read a few reviews that said, whilst differences in sound in the SP1K were relatively apparant (copper more warm / ss more analytical), the differences in sound in the SP2K were less apparent by comparison. I own a SP2K copper model. Before I chose which colour option to buy, I listened for about 1 hour in my local shop, swapping between the copper and ss versions, which were the only options available at the time, and I really couldn’t detect any significant difference. So in the end, I chose the copper version because I am inclined to an analogue sound and so believed this would be best the version for me. Quite honestly, its a great DAP and you will be more than pleased with anyone of the colour options. The shop applied the clear plastic body protectors for me (front, back and top) and it comes with a good quality leather case. I have had no problems with it from a durability perspective in the one year that I have owned and grown to love it.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #4,153 of 5,840
I think that will have, 5.5mm balances trrrrrrrrrsssssssss and will weight 1000kg and will have 20vrms, come on people why this thing about 4.4mm?the sp2000 with 2.5mm still one of the best players available.... And was released 2 years ago that means something, means quality, the akm factory has burned... Don't try to hurry up AK and make a dap, enjoy the present, the thing is most of people who is allways asking about the sp3000 will be the same that after 2 years will begin to ask about the sp4000 but they never bought the ak240/ak380/sp1000/sp2000 etc....

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #4,155 of 5,840
You really have to ask?

It's certainly NOT about the sound, it's about the wimpy weak prone-to-break-off connector.
I had and have many players with 2.5mm, never broke any, on the other hand I was removing a 6.3mm plug from the jack of my home deck and the plug broke inside it.... It's life....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back