Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Feb 15, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #4,111 of 5,840
@JasonNYC

Hi,

I got my SP2000 recently - everything works well except wifi drops out constantly while streaming (Qobuz, Apple Music, etc) when the screen turns off. Wifi reconnects once press the side button. I tried to explicitly set wifi using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band, but the same issue remained.

I noticed that there are some posts about A&K SR25, SR15, Khan, etc reporting this wifi connecting issue, though less on SP2000. I understand SP2000 is equipped with the chip supporting 5GHz band in addition to 2.4 GHz. However, from my tests, 5GHz supporting seems to not help with the issue.

I wonder if this is a common issue for SP2000. Is there any way to solve it?

Thanks.

Are you on latest fw? I just purchased my sp2k and had no such issues with spotify

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #4,113 of 5,840
Yes, seems like 1 cable goes to the 3.5mm. That‘s for grounding I guess? I wonder how this can be called grounding when nothing touches the ground. But then again, I am not so much into electrical engineering.

I can hear siginficant differences between different Headphones, IEMs, EQ Settings. I hear zero differences between cables, connectors, adapters. This is a great gift, nature gave to me as I don‘t need to waste money on the later :D

Pentaconn is a 5 wire connection (TRRRS) which includes a ground unlike the 4 wire 2.5 mm balanced (TRRS). The ground is not normally used for headphones but can be used for balanced line-out applications. These adaptors use the ground on the 3.5 mm for the Pentaconn ground connection.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #4,114 of 5,840
Are you on latest fw? I just purchased my sp2k and had no such issues with spotify

Hi @Vitaly2017 ,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm really confused about where the issue comes from. FYI, I'm using the latest firmware, 1.26CM and SP2000 Onyx Black. Can I confirm a few more details with you? While you are streaming Spotify, do you leave your SP2000 aside without touch it and are you able to constantly streaming it without breaking off? It normally happens for me between 5~30 minutes, which was monitored through the control panel of the wifi in my home to see the connected devices. Btw, can you check if your SP2000 connect wifi via 2.4GHz or 5GHz though both of the bands experienced the same issue for me. Perhaps can you tell me the simplest case, does your sp2000 connect wifi if you leave it aside a moment without playing any music or doing anything?

By the way, all my other devices in my home connect to wifi without any issue and SP2000 is also able to connect wifi with full signal once connected. I would not think there is issue with wifi in my home.

What my current understanding is that SP2000 (as well as other A&K DAPs) would drop out of wifi regularly when there is no data exchanging and the screen is off, which is normally the case when streaming music - automatically download part of the music and suspend and continue, and eventually drops out. The goal of this behaviour is to extend battery life.

If this is how they design all A&K products, I wonder why some people do not experience this issue. If it is not, why then?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #4,115 of 5,840
I tested pw audio adapters and it doesn't deliver the quality I consider that would make it usable adapter.

Moon audio and DD hifi are better options.

I use adapters only for convenience, never as my main daily driver.

And not many adapters have worthy fidelity....
I use DDhifi, excellent quality adapters

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #4,116 of 5,840
And as for degradation of sound quality I can honestly say I hear none of that. But I would never deny that it is possible.. And if you are one of those that can hear things like that I'm sorry about your curse of golden ears.

Look closer at the innards photo and see that there actually is a cable connected to the 3.5 ground pole. I wonder about the innards of the DD HiFi connector?

Honestly, it dose changed the sound and rather obvious. I think our Mr. Tiger Ear mentioned? It's not a neutral adaptor at all because of the wires you see in the picture.

OK, I'm not a SP2000 only, but SP1000... :wink: I'd chosen PW because the look and solid feel. And it fixed the contact issue on the 2.5mm of my SP1000.

Yes, seems like 1 cable goes to the 3.5mm. That‘s for grounding I guess? I wonder how this can be called grounding when nothing touches the ground. But then again, I am not so much into electrical engineering.

I can hear siginficant differences between different Headphones, IEMs, EQ Settings. I hear zero differences between cables, connectors, adapters. This is a great gift, nature gave to me as I don‘t need to waste money on the later :D

Theoretically, 3.5mm as a signal ground at the sleeve. Connecting the sleeve of 4.4mm TRRRS to the sleeve 3.5mm TRS supposed to complete the required balanced circuit. However, it's useless for the 4.4mm connection without a proper shielded cable. Anyway, not even the Sony's wm1a/z connected the TRRRS sleeve to ground.

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #4,117 of 5,840
@JasonNYC

Hi,

I got my SP2000 recently - everything works well except wifi drops out constantly while streaming (Qobuz, Apple Music, etc) when the screen turns off. Wifi reconnects once press the side button. I tried to explicitly set wifi using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band, but the same issue remained.

I noticed that there are some posts about A&K SR25, SR15, Khan, etc reporting this wifi connecting issue, though less on SP2000. I understand SP2000 is equipped with the chip supporting 5GHz band in addition to 2.4 GHz. However, from my tests, 5GHz supporting seems to not help with the issue.

I wonder if this is a common issue for SP2000. Is there any way to solve it?

Thanks.
Wifi is one of the weak spots of this DAP. I am fortunate in my place I am in direct line for the most part without much interference so I have zero issues.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #4,119 of 5,840
Hi @Vitaly2017 ,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm really confused about where the issue comes from. FYI, I'm using the latest firmware, 1.26CM and SP2000 Onyx Black. Can I confirm a few more details with you? While you are streaming Spotify, do you leave your SP2000 aside without touch it and are you able to constantly streaming it without breaking off? It normally happens for me between 5~30 minutes, which was monitored through the control panel of the wifi in my home to see the connected devices. Btw, can you check if your SP2000 connect wifi via 2.4GHz or 5GHz though both of the bands experienced the same issue for me.

By the way, all my other devices in my home connect to wifi without any issue and SP2000 is also able to connect wifi with full signal once connected. I would not think there is issue with wifi in my home.

What my current understanding is that SP2000 (as well as other A&K DAPs) would drop out of wifi regularly when there is no data exchanging and the screen is off, which is normally the case when streaming music - automatically download part of the music and suspend and continue, and eventually drops out. The goal of this behaviour is to extend battery life.

If this is how they design all A&K products, I wonder why some people do not experience this issue. If it is not, why then?

I will do test once I can. I do turn on the screen before it reaches the 30min mark he. Tough I never had this cut off in under 5 to 10mins... I always use the 5ghz band as its the fastest!

Also I use a lot of spotify offeline content and I did download everything threw the night as the wifi speed is slow to download.

But once done its solid there! One thing I saw is that if I reboot the dap while spotify is on it will lose all downloaded data.
So I close spotify first then turn off the device
But to be extra extra sure it will not lose it. Simply never turn off my dap.

I find the sp2000cu very good for noise. Its super clean and this is the reason why we have slow wifi to avoid all the interferences....
So better be slow than hearing it!

Try reset your router might help who know!

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #4,120 of 5,840
I will do test once I can. I do turn on the screen before it reaches the 30min mark he. Tough I never had this cut off in under 5 to 10mins... I always use the 5ghz band as its the fastest!

Also I use a lot of spotify offeline content and I did download everything threw the night as the wifi speed is slow to download.

But once done its solid there! One thing I saw is that if I reboot the dap while spotify is on it will lose all downloaded data.
So I close spotify first then turn off the device
But to be extra extra sure it will not lose it. Simply never turn off my dap.

I find the sp2000cu very good for noise. Its super clean and this is the reason why we have slow wifi to avoid all the interferences....
So better be slow than hearing it!

Try reset your router might help who know!

Agree, I have tried to reset my router but did not help.

By the way, does your SP2000 keep connecting to WiFi if you leave it aside without playing any music for a while? This might be a simpler test. For me, it is disconnected.

Thank you.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #4,121 of 5,840

By the way, does your SP2000 keep connecting to WiFi if you leave it aside without playing any music for a while? This might be a simpler test. For me, it is disconnected.

Thank you.

I bit technical but... have you check on the wifi channel you use?

I was having similar issue before and I need to change the wifi channel in my router.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #4,122 of 5,840
I'm fairly new to DAPs (SP2000 is my first one). What do you mean "I am in direct line"?
Not a lot of obstructions in my apartment, ie. concrete walls as opposed to drywall. I am referring to things that might negatively affect the the Wifi signal. It is a known weak spot in AK DAP's. I haven't tried all of their DAPs, but the one's I have.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #4,123 of 5,840
I bit technical but... have you check on the wifi channel you use?

I was having similar issue before and I need to change the wifi channel in my router.

I do not explicitly select a channel, which is normally chosen by the router (BT smart hub). Can you please talk about it in detail how you solved it eventually? Thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #4,124 of 5,840
Not a lot of obstructions in my apartment, ie. concrete walls as opposed to drywall. I am referring to things that might negatively affect the the Wifi signal. It is a known weak spot in AK DAP's. I haven't tried all of their DAPs, but the one's I have.

I see. Wifi signal is actually "excellent" when my sp2000 is connecting to it. There are no walls placed between the router and sp2000.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #4,125 of 5,840

Thank you.

My sp2000 never disconnected from wifi always connected even if not used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back