Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Mar 15, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #2,881 of 5,848
I think I can be humble and say in all my 30 years working in professional recording studios no manufacturer supplying the studio with electronic equipment ever advised “burn in time”. I humbly suggest that recording studios are a place where critical listening is the norm for their staff on a daily basis. Ijust don’t get how it could ever be a different case for hobbyists and miniaturised electronic equipment that sits in the palm of a hand.

This topic of burn-in is exhaustively litigated among audiophiles. I appreciate the pro audio perspective. I've spent decades in that world too and I think we do talk about the need to have gear "run-in."

I also think you have a point though because the attitude toward burn-in is much more casual than in the audiophile world. You figure, given the fact that pro audio folks are "pros," that they would be more meticulous about burn-in! I take it that you reason that pros aren't as concerned with burn in because it's not really a thing. That's thoroughly reasonable. I have a different take.

I don't think pros are as concerned with burn in as audiophiles for other reasons.

1) Pro equipment is for work. The gear is going to get used and run in without worrying about it. They're not just sitting around listening to gear. There's work to do.

2) Pros know gear and are regulalry around a wide range of setups. Audiophiles have extremely limited exposure and access to that kind of variety. If you just bought a brand
new Avalon Pre, you've already used it before in a studio or somewhere. You know how it's going to sound. You don't stress about whether it's tight out of the box.

3) Pros do set the standard for critical listening. But, thats's exactly the difference between pros and audiophiles:

Audiophiles pursue what sounds good. Pros pursue what sounds–true.

At home, when a headfier's amp burns in and sounds more open and lush, they rejoice. That's what they're chasing. In the studio, you are wary that it's lying to you. It's more important that it's accurate, and you know its sound and how it translates.

I don't know. These are , humbly, just the first two-cents worth that came to the front of my mind. I love it when the pro audio world and audiophile world intersect.

Mar 15, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #2,883 of 5,848
So I was about to put the screen saver on the back, but I have some sweaty finger prints on the copper back, any one know how I can safely cleans this before I put the screen saver on? Wet cloth is just smearing it around...

20200315_122607.jpg

Mar 15, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #2,884 of 5,848
using Non alcohol based gel hand wash solution And gentle cloth will help you remove it. Any alcohol based will likely damage the coating on the copper and or further expose the copper to oxidization. However, I would restrain any cleaning and wiping with anything on a pure copper chassis. I would just slip it inside a leather case and that would be it

Mar 15, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #2,885 of 5,848
So I was about to put the screen saver on the back, but I have some sweaty finger prints on the copper back, any one know how I can safely cleans this before I put the screen saver on? Wet cloth is just smearing it around...

20200315_122607.jpg
We use microfiber cloths to clean the screens and remove fingerprints on the players at shows, etc.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 16, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #2,886 of 5,848
We use microfiber cloths to clean the screens and remove fingerprints on the players at shows, etc.
Thanks for that JasonNYC. The cloth was not working... HA! What happened is I took a hot shower and was a little sweaty (eww), then I had cocoa butter, and the sweat and cocoa butter stained the back of the unit, I couldn't clean it. So I took a spritz of Windex on the microfiber cloth
, and that cleaned it right up!

Okay, phew Been listening non stop all weekend. So it has less than 48 hours on it, but it is starting to settle down, and it sounds amazing... That word starts to loose its meaning with over use! Its on a whole different level than the SE100; it is truly a TOTL flagship device, I have already become emotionally attached! It's heavy, and the copper looks stunning, it's beautiful! And the 512GB internal storage is sweet! The CL2 truly does scale up well, can't wait till the custom Valkyries come this week and are burned in...

Also, I notice the 2000 is VERY sensitive to tip and cable rolling... The sonic changes between the 1950s, the PW Limited, the Cleopatra, and the Hulk are massive and decisive; same with tips, they have a huge impact on the sonic character, more than I ever heard before. The Dynamic 1950s sound VERY dynamic, the smooth Cleopatra silver, is VERY smooth, etc. Of course the 1950s is the best and it sounds vivid. All cables shine.

The screen savers all installed perfect, and look great; invisible.

No regrets, and I am totally happy with this purchase! Using it with the 1950s is just icing on the cake!

TBC...

20200315_122714.jpg20200315_122755.jpg20200315_122834.jpg20200315_122921.jpg

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #2,887 of 5,848
Thanks for that JasonNYC. The cloth was not working... HA! What happened is I took a hot shower and was a little sweaty (eww), then I had cocoa butter, and the sweat and cocoa butter stained the back of the unit, I couldn't clean it. So I took a spritz of Windex on the microfiber cloth
, and that cleaned it right up!

Okay, phew Been listening non stop all weekend. So it has less than 48 hours on it, but it is starting to settle down, and it sounds amazing... That word starts to loose its meaning with over use! Its on a whole different level than the SE100; it is truly a TOTL flagship device, I have already become emotionally attached! It's heavy, and the copper looks stunning, it's beautiful! And the 512GB internal storage is sweet! The CL2 truly does scale up well, can't wait till the custom Valkyries come this week and are burned in...

Also, I notice the 2000 is VERY sensitive to tip and cable rolling... The sonic changes between the 1950s, the PW Limited, the Cleopatra, and the Hulk are massive and decisive; same with tips, they have a huge impact on the sonic character, more than I ever heard before. The Dynamic 1950s sound VERY dynamic, the smooth Cleopatra silver, is VERY smooth, etc. Of course the 1950s is the best and it sounds vivid. All cables shine.

The screen savers all installed perfect, and look great; invisible.

No regrets, and I am totally happy with this purchase! Using it with the 1950s is just icing on the cake!

TBC...

cocoa butter ?
2018-07-30-12-13-55-1880608761.jpeg

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #2,888 of 5,848
Mar 16, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #2,889 of 5,848
On a serious note.... I know next to nothing about how bluetooth works, but when I use the 2000 with my BT at work, it seems like it sounds better than it did on the SE100 (or my phone for that matter), but isnt DAC and amp function bypassed on BT? Is it just placebo effect, or can the 2000 BT signal be better than the SE100 signal?

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #2,894 of 5,848
One member asked me about SS and Onyx Black.
I share my impression.

The current SS is third items(I sell 1st SS and rebuy), all don't have click issue.

I'm having my ss at latest 1.19 and Onyx Black at original FW 1.16.

My inventory includes electrostatic tweeter hybrid iems which need huge amount of power. I listen mainly to classical music and operatic like vocal.

For general comparison, I think Onyx black is on the side of SS much more than cooper version, which is warm, lust, focusing sustain low lower note(increase thick and body)

The black sound is about 10 to 15 percent different from SS.
Onyx Black has more, pleasure treble than SS, SS is more extended, sharper in highest note (trumpet sound), especially in drama or tension movement.

Black treble is leaner, sometimes a bit thit, less structure than SS in highest pitch instrumental.
The brass high pitch instrumental group show more sharpness on SS

SS sound has move tension, stronger attach, quicker transient, the density of note. The note structure seems more compressed in the time domain than Black, which is more release.

On vocal, I feel like SS has more airflow structure representation than Black, but the degree is very minor. Same with woodwind group sound.

One strange thing is that current Black show more visible of lower note vibration, ringing of the piano when listing to Grieg piano sonata.

I like them both, but current SS FW makes it thicker which makes me feel its lack clean in a lower register than Black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back