Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Mar 17, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #2,911 of 5,856
I'm hereby sharing a description made by @JerryX here who I would like to great :
@JerryX wrote :
" Hi Jason, hope you can read this message carefully, since my friends using SP1000 and SP2000 also have this issue, and I decide to describe them in detail and hope they can be fixed.

I believe that after firmware v1.10, it is getting impossible for us to transfer new .m3u playlist files or edit existing ones, even with the help of softwares such as Command One on MacOS. This has caused some really bad user experience.
I would like to let you know the possible root cause: In order to support the OpenAPK service, Playlist folder is no longer writable to users, and we have
I'm hereby sharing a description made by @JerryX here who I would like to great :
@JerryX wrote :
" Hi Jason, hope you can read this message carefully, since my friends using SP1000 and SP2000 also have this issue, and I decide to describe them in detail and hope they can be fixed.

I believe that after firmware v1.10, it is getting impossible for us to transfer new .m3u playlist files or edit existing ones, even with the help of softwares such as Command One on MacOS. This has caused some really bad user experience.
I would like to let you know the possible root cause: In order to support the OpenAPK service, Playlist folder is no longer writable to users, and we have lost the flexibility to manage playlists. There are two issues are related to it:

1. Playlists can no longer be imported from PC/Mac. I read your post last year saying that dev team changes the underlying logic and only .m3u files in Playlist folder can be recognized. It is a good tradeoff to support OpenAPK that avoids reading third-party m3u files as original, user-created ones. However, If I decide to upgrade from SP1000 to SP2000, I have to manually rebuild my playlist from scratch using SP1000, and I can no longer import playlist backups from my laptop. It is really annoying since I have a huge library and it is just time-consuming to browse among folders to add them manually using SP1000. Also, if I divide to upgrade to SP2000, I can no longer re-use playlist files from SP1000 since I cannot import them to SP2000 Playlist folder.

2. Upgrade the micro sd card is also a huge pain. It appears that the internal IDs of micro sd cards are different if they are of different volume. Currently the path name of my 256G micro sd card is named as sdxc-123, while my 512G one is named as 20EB-0FE6, and I used SP1000 to format them without the help of my laptop. This caused an issue that SP1000 can no longer read music files even I copy all my folders directly from my previous 256G sd card to the new 512G one. Previously, if I decide to upgrade, I could simply use text editing software and edited the paths to music files so they can still be recognized by SP1000, so it used to be an easy fix since I can manually replace all sdxc-123 paths with 20EB-0FE, which immediately solved this issue, and SP1000 can locate these files again, so it is pretty smooth to get a new micro sd and I can still listen to music files stored on micro sd card as I used to. Unfortunately, due to the #1 issue I listed, the Playlist folder no longer is writable, which prevents me from editing or uploading new .m3u playlist files. SP1000 can no longer find all music stored on the micro sd card within the playlist, and again I have to manually delete the records and add the same songs from scratch.

These two issues make me hesitant to switch to a larger micro sd card, or upgrade to SP2000, which used to be a rather simple issue. I really enjoyed SP2000 at Canjam NYC and you guys at AK booth were of great help. Could you please kindly pass these issues to the dev team? AK should figure out a solution for users to easily manage their playlists without worrying about these issues, especially for us with huge music libraries. Is it possible that dev team could enable users to not only read but also write to the Playlist folder? ".

I would add two personnel points :
a- Not allow the possibility to add the same song twice in the same playlist file. and give a notification saying that the "song is already in the playlist"
b- When we select files, and add them to a playlist file, it could be good to keep the selection active until we decide to deselect them. That could allow to add in the selected files in a playlist and after copy these files to another folder or etc..
Yes, as I responded in the SP1000 thread and have responded a few times in this thread and the other AK threads, this is a know issue with playlists and our dev team is working on a fix.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 17, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #2,913 of 5,856
That's great news about resetting the player, I'll try that!

Mar 17, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #2,914 of 5,856
I reset my sp2000 after upgraded to 1.19, and the sound changed back to original. Not sure why, But it works.
I tried this, and now it sounds unbelievable... it works...

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #2,917 of 5,856
Yes it does.

Thanks! I'll definitely do this starting from firmware 1.20 and on. These mobile OS are starting to become like Windows OS where we have to do a fresh install just to get that full performance rather than performing an in-place upgrade

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #2,918 of 5,856
I am blissing out to 1.19 fw after factory reset; it's legit. Do it now...

Mar 18, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #2,920 of 5,856
I reset my sp2000 after upgraded to 1.19, and the sound changed back to original. Not sure why, But it works.
Just believe , believe and its true , for you as long as you continue to believe.

Mar 18, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #2,921 of 5,856
I am blissing out to 1.19 fw after factory reset; it's legit. Do it now...
So before it sounded awesome and after it sounded more awesome ?

Mar 18, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #2,922 of 5,856
So before it sounded awesome and after it sounded more awesome ?
Yes, sir! Over the top! It's not a zero/sum game, my friend...

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #2,923 of 5,856
One member asked me about SS and Onyx Black.
I share my impression.

The current SS is third items(I sell 1st SS and rebuy), all don't have click issue.

I'm having my ss at latest 1.19 and Onyx Black at original FW 1.16.

My inventory includes electrostatic tweeter hybrid iems which need huge amount of power. I listen mainly to classical music and operatic like vocal.

For general comparison, I think Onyx black is on the side of SS much more than cooper version, which is warm, lust, focusing sustain low lower note(increase thick and body)

The black sound is about 10 to 15 percent different from SS.
Onyx Black has more, pleasure treble than SS, SS is more extended, sharper in highest note (trumpet sound), especially in drama or tension movement.

Black treble is leaner, sometimes a bit thit, less structure than SS in highest pitch instrumental.
The brass high pitch instrumental group show more sharpness on SS

SS sound has move tension, stronger attach, quicker transient, the density of note. The note structure seems more compressed in the time domain than Black, which is more release.

On vocal, I feel like SS has more airflow structure representation than Black, but the degree is very minor. Same with woodwind group sound.

One strange thing is that current Black show more visible of lower note vibration, ringing of the piano when listing to Grieg piano sonata.

I like them both, but current SS FW makes it thicker which makes me feel its lack clean in a lower register than Black.

Thank you very much for your answer!
I sold SP2000SS and I'm thinking about buying Onyx Black version. Do you think is it a good idea?

Mar 18, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #2,924 of 5,856
Thank you very much for your answer!
I sold SP2000SS and I'm thinking about buying Onyx Black version. Do you think is it a good idea?
wulkan, you should change your profile image, it gives so much confusion ! this is Astell&kern logo! also here it was easy to identify the message of @JasonNYC because of AK logo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back