Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jan 25, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #2,326 of 5,840
AK products are fine. Jason had mentioned they will:

1. Implement volume control in near future
2. Fix the sound changes in the 1.18 firmware that has upset customers in future update

Give it some time. I have faith they will deliver asap.

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #2,327 of 5,840
Actually what I felt the need to criticize is the <deleted> response of "Amateur Company"
Actually what I felt the need to criticize is the <deleted> response of "Amateur Company"
Fair enough,

The company has been doing this for only a few years.

The volume control mechanism is very dangerous. Their product is a work in progress even if it does offer exceptional sound quality.

I am sure you will enjoy it thoroughly. And I hope that it is a wonderful purchase for you.

Please be very cautious with the volume control so that you do not injure yourself.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #2,328 of 5,840
Fair enough. They’ve been around for a short period of time. The volume control is dangerous. That’s a mark of a work in progress. The product doesn’t come with a manual. I do not need to go on. You can decide for yourself. Again, please be cautious and don’t injure your hearing.

The SP2K manual is online like many other products of this nature. Just saying.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #2,329 of 5,840
AK products are fine. Jason had mentioned they will:

1. Implement volume control in near future
2. Fix the sound changes in the 1.18 firmware that has upset customers in future update

Give it some time. I have faith they will deliver asap.
It is. I read it a few weeks ago. Thank you.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #2,330 of 5,840
I'm old and this reminds me of an old story. When CD players first came out I had one of the first, a Technics SLP-1 I think the model number was. I was commuting on a train and noticed my seat mate was reading the newly published CD Review issue #1. I was shocked. I said to him " You have a CD player too?" and when he replied "yes" I was so happy to finally have met a kindred spirit. He then asked me "do you have a problem with your player skipping?". I said "no" and then he said "when you bang really hard on it does it skip?"

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #2,332 of 5,840
Fair enough. They’ve been around for a short period of time. The volume control is dangerous. That’s a mark of a work in progress. The product doesn’t come with a manual. I do not need to go on. You can decide for yourself. Again, please be cautious and don’t injure your hearing.

I disagree that the volume control is "dangerous". That's like saying a can of bug spray is dangerous because you can point the nozzle in your eye. But I do agree that there should be a software "max volume setting" option, that you can turn on/off as you see fit.

And it does have a manual, it's in the internal memory, under SP2000_Contents --> Manual

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #2,334 of 5,840
I disagree that the volume control is "dangerous". That's like saying a can of bug spray is dangerous because you can point the nozzle in your eye. But I do agree that there should be a software "max volume setting" option, that you can turn on/off as you see fit.

And it does have a manual, it's in the internal memory, under SP2000_Contents --> Manual
Or the can of bug spray explodes and blinds the user under normal operation of spraying bugs.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #2,335 of 5,840
I have the sp1000 and contemplating upgrading to a sp2000...... or a fiio m15 until AK allows me to remove the useless swipey volume adjustment.

Ibasso DX220 has a useless swipey volume too, but at least its perpendicular to album swiping making it nearly impossible to swipe to adjust volume while browsing.

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #2,336 of 5,840
I have the sp1000 and contemplating upgrading to a sp2000...... or a fiio m15 until AK allows me to remove the useless swipey volume adjustment.

Ibasso DX220 has a useless swipey volume too, but at least its perpendicular to album swiping making it nearly impossible to swipe to adjust volume while browsing.
The swipe up on the AK can be activated from any portion of the screen including the edges. And a 1-2 cm move can result in a massive increase. Some of the AK players have a sideways swipe too.

The totl Sony has a circular volume on screen control. Similar in terms of safety to the perpendicular concept you mentioned above. And it has software to allow placing an upper volume limit should one choose to. Sony will likely make an upgrade to this player soon.

Some people on head fi seem to love the Sony sound signature while others prefer AK. I’ve not tried the Sony so I cannot comment. Wish I had :)

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #2,337 of 5,840
Put the maxi level volume is not what is requesting. But to give an option that will allow to desactivate or not the volume control by hand on the screen. But in both case the volume design should continue to appear while the screen is on and we use the volume wheel.

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #2,338 of 5,840
What is the VERY VERY BEST IEM That you can recommend for the SP1000+SP Amp or for SP2000 ?

Indeed, I get fed-up carying and charging my Shure KSE in addition to my DAP.

I understood that now there are even some IEM with some electrostatic drivers inside, which do not need special amp.
Vision ears Erlkonig is my personal favorite.

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #2,339 of 5,840
Put the maxi level volume is not what is requesting. But to give an option that will allow to desactivate or not the volume control by hand on the screen. But in both case the volume design should continue to appear while the screen is on and we use the volume wheel.

For those who still want to use the on screen volume adjustment, this would not solve the issue. I think both suggestions are good though and having both options implemented would be nice. One to disable on screen volume control, and one to set a maximum limit.
I like to use screen volume control when possible to reduce wear on volume wheel.

There are a couple of berylium DD iem's being released, I'm curious to see how they compare in speed and resolution to kse1200.

Jan 26, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #2,340 of 5,840
I'm old and this reminds me of an old story. When CD players first came out I had one of the first, a Technics SLP-1 I think the model number was. I was commuting on a train and noticed my seat mate was reading the newly published CD Review issue #1. I was shocked. I said to him " You have a CD player too?" and when he replied "yes" I was so happy to finally have met a kindred spirit. He then asked me "do you have a problem with your player skipping?". I said "no" and then he said "when you bang really hard on it does it skip?"

It's nice to hear from another old fart! We must be of a similar vintage because I can remember when the first CD players came out too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back