Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jan 25, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #2,314 of 5,840
Sorry, thought I had responded about the volume control. Our dev team working on implementing some new volume control settings for a future software update. I'm not sure if it will make the next firmware update in February as there are a number of UI and setting changes that need to be implemented.
Thank you for acknowledging this. Please let us know when this is fixed.

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #2,318 of 5,840
Safety? Really? You mean to tell me when you have lost control of your own volume setting/control it's a safety issue?
Yep. Accidentally permanently damaging your hearing is definitely something I'd classify as a safety issue.

In fairness to A&K, every product has its issues. I doubt you'll find any product on headfi with 155 pages of posts that are all glowing endorsements. I think the SP2000 is a fine product.
But it is waayyyyyy too easy to suddenly have very unsafe SPLs at your eardrums if you're listening with sensitive IEMs.

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #2,319 of 5,840
Safety? Really? You mean to tell me when you have lost control of your own volume setting/control it's a safety issue?
Good luck to you. Hopefully you will not suffer the same fate.

Yep. Accidentally permanently damaging your hearing is definitely something I'd classify as a safety issue.

In fairness to A&K, every product has its issues. I doubt you'll find any product on headfi with 155 pages of posts that are all glowing endorsements. I think the SP2000 is a fine product.
But it is waayyyyyy too easy to suddenly have very unsafe SPLs at your eardrums if you're listening with sensitive IEMs.
You’re very insightful and absolutely right.
[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 25, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #2,320 of 5,840
You miss the point of my post. When you put on the phones or whatever you listen to you implicitly understand there is a risk to your hearing ( although I have yet to meet or talk to anyone who has experienced this) it is up to you to take the precautions, control of your equipment, to protect yourself.

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #2,321 of 5,840
You miss the point of my post. When you put on the phones or whatever you listen to you implicitly understand there is a risk to your hearing ( although I have yet to meet or talk to anyone who has experienced this) it is up to you to take the precautions, control of your equipment, to protect yourself.
Do you own the sp2000 or a very similar player? Do you know anything about how the volume control works on this device? I didn’t miss your point. You are implying that individuals should take accountability for their actions. I ask you, do you understand the situation?

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #2,322 of 5,840
Yes actually I do understand the problem. And I have experienced the issue of sudden implementation of max volume to my ears. SP2K is not the only player that can do this. And I will have one on Monday. After reading about the issue here I still bought one. And yes personal responsibility is my point. I agree that A&K should resolve it sooner than later.

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #2,323 of 5,840
Yes actually I do understand the problem. And I have experienced the issue of sudden implementation of max volume to my ears. SP2K is not the only player that can do this. And I will have one on Monday. After reading about the issue here I still bought one. And yes personal responsibility is my point. I agree that A&K should resolve it sooner than later.
Great. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Be careful with the on screen volume control. Even with warning and experience it’s still easy to max it out by swiping at the wrong moment. Or touching the volume wheel wheel scrolling. I sincerely hope you will be very careful and not harm yourself. Sadly though, you felt the need to criticize before using.

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #2,325 of 5,840
Actually what I felt the need to criticize is the <deleted> response of "Amateur Company"
Fair enough. They’ve been around for a short period of time. The volume control is dangerous. That’s a mark of a work in progress. The product doesn’t come with a manual. I do not need to go on. You can decide for yourself. Again, please be cautious and don’t injure your hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back