Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jan 26, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #2,341 of 5,840
It's nice to hear from another old fart! We must be of a similar vintage because I can remember when the first CD players came out too!
Yes, but do you remember the first CD you bought? Mine was Dark Side of the Moon.

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #2,343 of 5,840
I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.
When I start playing a track or album, all I hear is severe static. But sometimes I hear bad static on the left and sped up audio that sounds about 2x. It goes away when I restart but noticing it's happening more often maybe.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #2,345 of 5,840
What I'd like to see is an ability to limit the volume by output jack.

I often switch between my KSE1500 on the unbalanced jack, and a full sized headphone on a balanced jack. The KSE needs volume of 140, the other headphone needs a volume of 80. So a global volume limit wouldn't work well for me.

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #2,347 of 5,840
Vision ears Erlkonig is my personal favorite.

The Erkoning are indeed on my list, but in 2nd place behind the FIR M15 that I hope to be able to listen soon.

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #2,348 of 5,840
The Erkoning are indeed on my list, but in 2nd place behind the FIR M15 that I hope to be able to listen soon.
That ERLKöNIG does look nice (both the device and its FR, especially with the bass up). What's people's favorite tuning setting with this? It looks a bit large though. To date, I've never had any luck getting a 13(+) driver IEM to fit nicely in my ears. How does it fit?

@bmichels - did you mean FiiO M15?

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #2,349 of 5,840
Some thoughts on possible sound changes with firmware... I ran a couple of tests (limited to single-ended output for now) into a resistive 32 Ohm load and also into a real headphone (SE846). The SE846 showed the exact same FR with firmwares 1.10 and 1.18CM. I don't need to waste interweb space displaying these - the curves exactly overlay one another. Soundexpert.org has a more extensive set of tests based on an approximately 2.5 hour total set of test vectors, including a lot of real music tracks. Here also, it doesn't seem there's any significant difference:

fw110.png

fw118cm.png

I'm not saying there aren't audible changes (there are more things in heaven and earth...), but measurements don't show them. Those that have heard differences:

1) Can you reliably (with whatever appropriate level of statistical significance) still hear the differences under blind A/B conditions? If so....
2) Can you reproduce those results when you switch the firmwares around on the two players? I realize that may not be an easy thing to do, but it would rule out production variance or defective units.

As to the clicking issue on certain tracks, it seems they just don't show up in any of our test vectors. I don't know why. We see these effects on some players (like the iPhone SE), but not the SP2000. I can confirm the clicking is a real thing though. I can hear it. But it's very odd as it only happens on certain tracks. Could those tracks themselves be defective? Possibly, but IMHO unlikely, because I hear the clicking slightly shifted (by a second or two) each time I play back the same track. If there were an error in the track encoding, I'd expect it to be deterministic. (I've been using the Blade Runner 2049 track 08 - Mesa - that @siruspan suggested.) This one seems to affect all firmware versions and is still a bit of a puzzle.

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #2,350 of 5,840
That ERLKöNIG does look nice (both the device and its FR, especially with the bass up). What's people's favorite tuning setting with this? It looks a bit large though. To date, I've never had any luck getting a 13(+) driver IEM to fit nicely in my ears. How does it fit?

No . Sorry, I mean FIR Audio M5

1566282858785982.jpg

Jan 26, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #2,353 of 5,840
Some thoughts on possible sound changes with firmware... I ran a couple of tests (limited to single-ended output for now) into a resistive 32 Ohm load and also into a real headphone (SE846). The SE846 showed the exact same FR with firmwares 1.10 and 1.18CM. I don't need to waste interweb space displaying these - the curves exactly overlay one another. Soundexpert.org has a more extensive set of tests based on an approximately 2.5 hour total set of test vectors, including a lot of real music tracks. Here also, it doesn't seem there's any significant difference:

I'm not saying there aren't audible changes (there are more things in heaven and earth...), but measurements don't show them. Those that have heard differences:

1) Can you reliably (with whatever appropriate level of statistical significance) still hear the differences under blind A/B conditions? If so....
2) Can you reproduce those results when you switch the firmwares around on the two players? I realize that may not be an easy thing to do, but it would rule out production variance or defective units.

As to the clicking issue on certain tracks, it seems they just don't show up in any of our test vectors. I don't know why. We see these effects on some players (like the iPhone SE), but not the SP2000. I can confirm the clicking is a real thing though. I can hear it. But it's very odd as it only happens on certain tracks. Could those tracks themselves be defective? Possibly, but IMHO unlikely, because I hear the clicking slightly shifted (by a second or two) each time I play back the same track. If there were an error in the track encoding, I'd expect it to be deterministic. (I've been using the Blade Runner 2049 track 08 - Mesa - that @siruspan suggested.) This one seems to affect all firmware versions and is still a bit of a puzzle.
Bravo!

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #2,354 of 5,840
I have done some thread searching, but hoping for something a bit more definitive. How does the SP2000 compare to the Hugo 2 when using EE Valkyrie, EE Legend X, and CA Jupiter? What about Etymotic ER4XS? I do not really have an opportunity to sit down, and demo an SP2000, so hoping for some good detail on this for someone who can A/B with any of these 'phones. TIA!

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #2,355 of 5,840

The Erlkonig has a very nice shape for me. It fits very nicely. It is the best phone I have ever heard or owned particularly when it is paired with the SP2000. I like setting 2, it gives me the clearest, most liquid, dynamic and organic sound that I have ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back