Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Dec 16, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #1,907 of 5,840
Has anybody noticed this issue? I got it every time after reset... Have Tidal installed from Apkpure if it matters.

The usual cause for that is using a microSD card that wasn't formatted in the player itself, and nothing specifically to do with Tidal.

Not seen it in any other case, but it was common to the SR15, SP1000M and my current SP2000.

Reformatting the card in the unit, and then re-transferring content (which you can then do in the player or via a card reader, which is much faster) fixed it and it never occurred again.

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #1,911 of 5,840
Does SP2000 need burn-in? In what time it would achieve a stable mode in your opinion?
Sony recommends 200 hours of burn-in their capacitors and some people noticed further sonic improvements even after 500+ hours.

Firstly, every electronics part all has burn-in effect: transistor, capacitor, ....

My experience: my sp2k after using for 2 month vs my friends used for 2 weeks, they sound different in speed and texture.

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #1,912 of 5,840
The usual cause for that is using a microSD card that wasn't formatted in the player itself, and nothing specifically to do with Tidal.

Not seen it in any other case, but it was common to the SR15, SP1000M and my current SP2000.

Reformatting the card in the unit, and then re-transferring content (which you can then do in the player or via a card reader, which is much faster) fixed it and it never occurred again.

I reformatted my SD card from the player Setup menu, and re-copied all my music over. I did not see the error window when I re-started it. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #1,913 of 5,840
thanks, that’s a nice review!
I’ve got a question though:
You wrote this:
„The player is universal in terms of style, technically it is 8 out of 10 in terms of quality recording sensitivity because the player won’t reveal extra problems, but won’t hide them at the same time. But in fact it should be 10 out of 10 since the player has been created for tracks of maximum quality and it’s not reasonable to listen to poorly mastered or recorded tracks on it.“

So what do you think could have been made that the player would get your 10/10 points on technicalities? Is the LPGT more technical because it has more revealing upper mids? Is it that what you miss? Ans how would you score the technicalities on the N8?

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #1,914 of 5,840
thanks, that’s a nice review!
I’ve got a question though:
You wrote this:
„The player is universal in terms of style, technically it is 8 out of 10 in terms of quality recording sensitivity because the player won’t reveal extra problems, but won’t hide them at the same time. But in fact it should be 10 out of 10 since the player has been created for tracks of maximum quality and it’s not reasonable to listen to poorly mastered or recorded tracks on it.“

So what do you think could have been made that the player would get your 10/10 points on technicalities? Is the LPGT more technical because it has more revealing upper mids? Is it that what you miss? Ans how would you score the technicalities on the N8?

Sorry, it's not a mark for player's "technicality", as SP2000 is technical as hell. That 8/10 is an evaluation of pickiness of DAP for the material quality. Sorry, if that sounded confusing
As for N8, I'd said that it's a bit less "technical", but more emotional, like a professional musician that can step aside from "proper" way of playing to add something own to the composition

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #1,915 of 5,840
I pulled the trigger and upgraded to an SP2000 Onyx... I've previously been using an SP1000 SS for almost two years, primarily with a KSE 1500.

I probably shouldn't comment too much until my unit is burned in, but I'll reiterate what others have said earlier in this thread. The increased soundstage is certainly noticeable, as is the bass, as are the lower mids. There's an extra "thickness" to the sound, as well as a little more sense of realism, a little more sense of separation. I'm thrilled because the "thickness", the lower mids, were the only thing I felt were a tiny bit lacking from the SP1000 SS (I can't speak to the Cu). I feel that this characteristic, and the soundstage, make the the SP2000 a better and more synergistic complement to the KSE. The holographic level of sound that this setup can generate is quite impressive, considering I'm using IEMs.

Other thoughts:
- I feel that the Onyx somehow looks less premium than the Cu or SS. Mind you, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it'll look less conspicuous going through airport security, etc. I'm happy with my choice, as I wanted something different after having had the SS. It also looks better strapped to my KSE amp. But just something to consider.
- It feels marginally sleeker in the hand than the SP1000. Maybe just the way the angles are sculpted on the right side? This tricks my brain into thinking it's a tad lighter than the SP1000, even though it's supposedly heavier.
- They really really should just apply the screen/body protectors at the factory (didn't they used to do this with some models?). Also, why are there protectors included for the top, front and back, but not the bottom and the sides?
- The wifi of the SP1000 was always a little flaky with my home router. By contrast the wifi of the SP2000 has been rock solid.
- Out of the box, there was a tiny tiny white speck on the back of my unit. Certainly not a big deal, but it's nonetheless just a little bit annoying to have any imperfection for a product at this price point.
- UI seems a tad more responsive, the screen seems a tad better. Not sure if it's just my imagination?

The SP1000 remains an exceptionally good DAP, but just speaking for myself, I'm quite happy that I did the upgrade, despite the loss I'm taking on selling the SP1000.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #1,916 of 5,840
Does anyone have any problem with SP2000 file transfer to the SD card? When transfer multiple folders, the transfer will freeze halfway though and the file transfer fails. Same problem happen to me when I was using SP1000. Or is it only me on Earth with such problem?

Same problem when copy folders to SP2000 internal storage.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #1,917 of 5,840
Does anyone have any problem with SP2000 file transfer to the SD card? When transfer multiple folders, the transfer will freeze halfway though and the file transfer fails. Same problem happen to me when I was using SP1000. Or is it only me on Earth with such problem?

I gave up saving files to my external 500 GB card. While using AFT it would bomb and the fix seems to be using a card reader.

Dec 20, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #1,918 of 5,840
Do we know when the "folding list" firmware is coming for the SP2000?

I'm happy they're doing it for last generation models as well but don't us "early adopters" derserve some love?:)

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #1,919 of 5,840

I gave up saving files to my external 500 GB card. While using AFT it would bomb and the fix seems to be using a card reader.

Not sure about a PC but from an apple using either AFT or CommanderOne you have to limit the size of the transfer for it to work. This is a legacy issue and impacts the 240, 380 1000 and 2000. Easy solution is list the size of your transfers. When copying my library, I did it in steps. First I transferred all the "A" artists in my music library and the the "B's", "C's" etc. until I got to Z. If you are transferring form an iTunes library watch out for the compilations directory. this tends to get big. transfer this directory by itself.

hope this helps.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #1,920 of 5,840
This is a common issue with Very Large File Transfers, especially when the files are very, very large. By that, I mean single files over 50GB, or big directory transfers of over 400GB. You have to remember, even though you can have 512GB internal, and another 1TB on a thumb-nail sized card, that is a WHOLE LOT OF DATE. The OS will try to dump the data as fast as it possibly can, and when filling a 512GB drive, even very fast copies take a long time to fill. Most OS's have issues somewhere in the middle, and stop, pause, fail, whatever. Unfortunately, the best option is to do he file transfers in smaller pieces.

In my case, I have a Windows 10 laptop with USB 3,x. I copied about 250GB of high-res audio files to the internal memory. I was able to do all of that in one shot, but I can't tell you how long it took. I started it late at night, left it running over night and it was done by morning. The initial "estimate" from the Windows file copy was over 13 hours, but it was done when I checked it in the morning, a bit over 8 hours later. Did it finish way before then? No idea. But it was done in under 8 hours.

For my 400GB SanDisk micro USB card, plugged into the dedicated card slot on my laptop, I filled the entire 400GB with compressed-losses files, by copying it a bit at a time, as mthaynes said, but not in such manually-small chunks. I did A-E, then F-J, etc. Filled the disk in about 4 hours, checking on the laptop every once in a while, and if one chunk was done, starting another. Basically about 80GB per copy process. No errors that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back