Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Dec 14, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #1,891 of 5,840
The thing is my Mac sees the SP2000 in “Sound” in System Preferences.

Usually Macs don’t require drivers but do I have to download one? This is strange because it’s usually plug and play with Macs.

Only need to change the default to the sp2000.

Dec 15, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #1,892 of 5,840
Happy Holidays,

Anybody using they’re SP2000 as a USB sound card with their laptops? If so how are you finding the pairing as for the best sound quality? What I want to do is consolidate some equipment and reduce redundancy. For example I have the iFi Micro BL that I would like sell but don’t want to until I can get my SP2000 to work with my Mac. A complete disaster so far.

Please chime in with your experiences.

Dec 15, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #1,893 of 5,840
Happy Holidays,

Anybody using they’re SP2000 as a USB sound card with their laptops? If so how are you finding the pairing as for the best sound quality? What I want to do is consolidate some equipment and reduce redundancy. For example I have the iFi Micro BL that I would like sell but don’t want to until I can get my SP2000 to work with my Mac. A complete disaster so far.

Please chime in with your experiences.
So , right now the ifi Bl sounds better.

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #1,894 of 5,840
So , right now the ifi Bl sounds better.

So right now it does but I have no verifiable proof that the SP2000 is the same, best or worse as a sound card. After I get SP2000 working with my Mac I’ll know how to proceed.

I’m reaching out to others who have used the 2000 as a sound card with the BL or any other portable DAC/amp.

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #1,895 of 5,840
So right now it does but I have no verifiable proof that the SP2000 is the same, best or worse as a sound card. After I get SP2000 working with my Mac I’ll know how to proceed.

I’m reaching out to others who have used the 2000 as a sound card with the BL or any other portable DAC/amp.
Interesting how a 500 or so amp/dac is competing to a 4k dap.

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,896 of 5,840
Interesting how a 500 or so amp/dac is competing to a 4k dap.
Lots of differences between them to explain cost and price differences. Your comparison would be like comparing a $10K motorcycle with a $30K automobile and tauntingly asking why the motorcylce has so much better acceleration.. lol

More importantly, there are specific auditory cues that trigger reactions in different listeners, ie, some devices push your buttons, others don't. Often it is impossible to narrow down what specific sonic prameters are involved, but it's obvious what 'does it' for you, once you hear it. Seems to me that's the point that jmills8 is always making, however sarcastically....

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #1,897 of 5,840
Lots of differences between them to explain cost and price differences. Your comparison would be like comparing a $10K motorcycle with a $30K automobile and tauntingly asking why the motorcylce has so much better acceleration.. lol

More importantly, there are specific auditory cues that trigger reactions in different listeners, ie, some devices push your buttons, others don't. Often it is impossible to narrow down what specific sonic prameters are involved, but it's obvious what 'does it' for you, once you hear it. Seems to me that's the point that jmills8 is always making, however sarcastically....
When I want fast yeah the motorcycle , but when I have a 4000 usd headphone , yeah I have to use one and only one can do the job.

Dec 15, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #1,899 of 5,840
5-Front.jpg
Text version of SP2000 review by Porta.Fi

English: https://porta.fi/astellkern-sp2000-dap-review-how-to-make-a-reference-device-even-better/
Russian: https://porta.fi/ru/obzor-pleera-astellkern-sp2000-kak-uluchshit-etalonnoe-ustrojstvo/

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,900 of 5,840
i find that sp2000 is over and under emphasizing some parts of the sound. Positioning some parts further back and quieter into the background and others more forwards and louder than would be usual. If you like a more even forward presentation then not the DAP for you, which is where you may preference the sound of another device, regardless of price bracket. Personally i wasn't very impressed by the idsd black.
It depends what you want in the sound, but one thing i notice higher price bracket dac's usually offer is a Cleaner sound and Darker background. I've had no problems with USB dac running from windows, much better than their old players that would lag.
Listening SE, balanced may be different with regards to sound positioning.

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #1,901 of 5,840
i find that sp2000 is over and under emphasizing some parts of the sound. Positioning some parts further back and quieter into the background and others more forwards and louder than would be usual. If you like a more even forward presentation then not the DAP for you, which is where you may preference the sound of another device, regardless of price bracket. Personally i wasn't very impressed by the idsd black.
It depends what you want in the sound, but one thing i notice higher price bracket dac's usually offer is a Cleaner sound and Darker background. I've had no problems with USB dac running from windows, much better than their old players that would lag.
Listening SE, balanced may be different with regards to sound positioning.
But you are selling your sp2000 ?

Dec 15, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #1,903 of 5,840
Yeah, i got carried away and bought over budget haha
Plus with that much money tied up in a dap i cant afford to experiment with other iem's
That easily happens in a hobby.

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #1,904 of 5,840
Has anybody noticed this issue? I got it every time after reset... Have Tidal installed from Apkpure if it matters.

cc2311fcca045effddc0b7819561090a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back