Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Dec 28, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #1,937 of 5,840
I don't know why the Tera player fans and N8 moved to this tread.... Just joking you are all welcome to the tread of the best actual portable music player.... Happy new year
Ha , I have been demoing this dap twice a month.

Dec 28, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #1,939 of 5,840
maybe the demo unit that you are earing has some problem, really, if you don't find the sound with dimension and real density is the most real sounding dap I ever heard, with this I am not saying that the n8 is not a top dap, we already talked about that, and I to say good things about a dap i don't need to say bad things about others

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #1,940 of 5,840
From my experience of the n8, sp2000 and tera. They all sound fantastic. Simple as that

Dec 28, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #1,944 of 5,840
maybe the demo unit that you are earing has some problem, really, if you don't find the sound with dimension and real density is the most real sounding dap I ever heard, with this I am not saying that the n8 is not a top dap, we already talked about that, and I to say good things about a dap i don't need to say bad things about others
6 shops has them in demo

Dec 28, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #1,945 of 5,840
I wonder how this compares to the AK 320. I am currently listening it with a JH Audio 16 Pros (v1). AK320 are the best I have ever heard so far. I would very much welcome your opinion as I am bit angry with AK for not updating the AK3xx lineup anymore. and they are crazy expensive, can't buy a new one every year.

Dec 29, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #1,946 of 5,840
I wonder how this compares to the AK 320. I am currently listening it with a JH Audio 16 Pros (v1). AK320 are the best I have ever heard so far. I would very much welcome your opinion as I am bit angry with AK for not updating the AK3xx lineup anymore. and they are crazy expensive, can't buy a new one every year.

Well you have a very good combo even though they are dated by about 5 (AK 320) to 10 years (JH 16) but still your combo should give you much satisfaction. My last AK players before SP2K were the AK380 Cu and 240ss. Technology has evolved quite a bit from AK380/320 period in terms of DAC, amp, circuitry design, memory, true balance output, software etc. The SP2K, when compares to your AK320, is the most musical, textural, and resolved dap from AK to date due to the AKM 4499esq dac and independent circuit design. It sounds very authoritative because of the 6 Vrms output even though your JH 16 Pro may not need that much power but you should still notice a difference. Iems technology has also changed quite a bit from the JH16Pro period. I know because I have the JH3Pro (V1 upgraded to V2). Personally I think today’s totl iems can bring you into the music better and easier. Together today’s totl dap and iems when compare to your combo is like walking from the recording room into the presence of where the artist is performing, there is at least two to three Level of veils removed. Don’t get me wrong, you have a very good combo and if you are satisfied with it, considered yourself lucky and more power to you but just know that there are more to be had if you want more than what you have. After the AK380Cu, I went to Sony WM1Z and it is a very musical dap and warm dap in its early incarnations (firmware). I skipped SP1K because I find it too clinical for my tastes, but the musical feel in the AKM 4499 bought me back. To me and if you like the sound character of very clean, highly resolve, accurate tonality, real life like timber, dynamic and authoritative sound, the SP2K is the best out there.

When one is treading in totl territory, they should give you a sense of end game feel even though we all know they don’t exist but one should feel that way for at least a couple of years and that is what you spend your money on to feel that way. I know these things are expensive but businesses like AK, Sony, Lotto, Cayin, or Ibasso etc literally spend millions to improve sound enjoyment from one generation to the next just to give us that enjoyment in a tiny device so we can have the best music wherever we are and whenever our mood dictates is priceless. What you have is better than 99% of the stuff out there, so there is no shame in using it or need to upgrade unless you want to, the power to choose is within you.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #1,947 of 5,840

My kids used to tell me incessantly what they want for Christmas and I always tell them wanting is better than having :wink: However and believe me it is opposite when it comes to SP2K, no matter how many times you demo it it is never equal to owning it, it’s kind of like with the gal that you like—owning her is always better than dating her even though it will cost more:wink:. That is because in a demo situation you are never relaxed enough to enjoy the music, or listen enough to know how it sounds with different types of music, you are never able to listen to your library fully to know how good it is. In time past we used to own a piece of equipment for a few months prior to rendering an impression because it will give us that intimate knowledge of what it can do. If you’ve been demoing the SP2K twice a month, it’s time to admit that you want it and there is no use to fight.

Dec 29, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #1,948 of 5,840
My kids used to tell me incessantly what they want for Christmas and I always tell them wanting is better than having :wink: However and believe me it is opposite when it comes to SP2K, no matter how many times you demo it it is never equal to owning it, it’s kind of like with the gal that you like—owning her is always better than dating her even though it will cost more:wink:. That is because in a demo situation you are never relaxed enough to enjoy the music, or listen enough to know how it sounds with different types of music, you are never able to listen to your library fully to know how good it is. In time past we used to own a piece of equipment for a few months prior to rendering an impression because it will give us that intimate knowledge of what it can do. If you’ve been demoing the SP2K twice a month, it’s time to admit that you want it and there is no use to fight.
Ha , thats nice , its more of trying to hear something I like. Money , I have enough play money to buy 10 , but Ill buy what I like not to show it to others.

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #1,949 of 5,840
Ha , thats nice , its more of trying to hear something I like. Money , I have enough play money to buy 10 , but Ill buy what I like not to show it to others.
I am a mental person, in demoing your psychology or mind set is to find reason why you don’t need the player, in owning, your mind set is to find reasons why you like the SP2K, that alone or placebo will account for at least 5% of the sound you hear. God only knows how much we are willing to pay for 5% of sound improvement.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,950 of 5,840
I am a mental person, in demoing your psychology or mind set is to find reason why you don’t need the player, in owning, your mind set is to find reasons why you like the SP2K, that alone or placebo will account for at least 5% of the sound you hear. God only knows how much we are willing to pay for 5% of sound improvement.
I wouldn't call it placebo, I think it's more an issue if anticipation. I've listened to many expensive, high end gear that I thought sounded like crap, placebo wasn't an issue. I think the perception changes too. So many times I've upgraded, and been satisfied for several months. But then your standards start to change, your ear and discernment improves, and suddenly that %5 becomes meaningful. Ironically, in a way, once I dove into audiophile portable gear, the emphasis started turning away from the music and more to the technology, and chasing that next 5 or 10% became more of a distraction. I've been trying to focus back on the music instead of obsessing over cables ear tips and my tweeters specifications.... I've been asking myself lately, where does it end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back