Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Sep 21, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #1,081 of 5,840
Mm...finished my battery test.....volume at 55 (a little above my normal listening volume) left playing with minimal intervention (and only to check that everything was performing normally ), playing mostly flacs with a sprinkling of DSDs and my sp2k cu lasted a full 8 hours with 3% left.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #1,082 of 5,840
Made up my mind, definitely getting this.
My only question left is to get the Copper or Sainless steel?

Casting aside sound signature differences, are there any downsides of getting the Copper version instead (like easier to scratch maybe?).
I really dig the look of copper more, but hesitant if it is more fragile...

Yeah, forgot to mention, I will pretty much always keep it in case anyways...

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #1,083 of 5,840

Casting aside sound signature differences, are there any downsides of getting the Copper version instead (like easier to scratch maybe?).

It comes with 2 sets of plastic bits like screen protectors if you are that worried. I've not bothered yet, seems pretty well protected in the case.

Sep 21, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #1,085 of 5,840
I've been playing with my new SP-2000 for 3 days now and I must say I am blown away by the sonics. I will put my observations up here soon but I have a question for Asian and European customers who have had it longer. How do you find the battery life? I haven't let it go down that far yet but it seems like the battery level depletes very quickly. I upgraded from the SE-100 and it's going down way faster than that. I don't see how this is possibly going to get 8 hours:frowning2:

Is it good pair of Ss for ier z1r?
Im thinking ss or cu for my ier z1r

Sep 21, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #1,086 of 5,840

I changed my order from cu to ss ... even if the initial reports of issues with the copper coating are off, I was ultimately persuaded by the optics:
I will be using the SP2000 a lot on business travel, and at work. The copper version, at least here in the US, raises some cultural associations (including bling, pimp, Trump) that I’d rather avoid.
Also, I quite like the look of the green leather case that comes with the ss, the brown on top of copper is comparatively boring - but what other color even goes well with cu?

So ... a little bit of fashion sense ultimately trumped the attempt to sort out the mixed preferences on this thread without reasonably being able to a/b test myself.

Sep 21, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #1,088 of 5,840
I changed my order from cu to ss ... even if the initial reports of issues with the copper coating are off, I was ultimately persuaded by the optics:
I will be using the SP2000 a lot on business travel, and at work. The copper version, at least here in the US, raises some cultural associations (including bling, pimp, Trump) that I’d rather avoid.
Also, I quite like the look of the green leather case that comes with the ss, the brown on top of copper is comparatively boring - but what other color even goes well with cu?

So ... a little bit of fashion sense ultimately trumped the attempt to sort out the mixed preferences on this thread without reasonably being able to a/b test myself.

Couldn't care less about cultural associations personally.
If I like the colour, that's all that matters.

As far as design, I actually find the green leather case kind of ugly, and the brown case beautiful.
Seems like we have different tastes lol

Sep 21, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #1,089 of 5,840
Received my SP2000cu on Friday. I have been burning it in. Initially, it was very bright in the highs. It’s started to get better now.

Sep 21, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #1,090 of 5,840
Ok, ok, now can you show us your car and your watches? :):)

Ot: mm..I think you mean the kilometric-long credit card statements that I regularly receive.....basically, I am now an indentured servant to the credit providers.

:ksc75smile::L3000::gs1000smile:

But life is too short....so......f it.

P.s. seriously, I don't do expensive cars or swiss mechanical watches (I only wear Apple Watch).....disposable income (after contributing to retirement account and deducting expenses) is poured into this hobby. Go big or go home....and I hate borrowing other people's money. Old fashioned....buy only after saving then pay cash and use that to leverage dealers to give me maximum discount. I always ask nicely and 9 out of 10, they give me a nice discount (exception he1 and kse 1500).

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #1,092 of 5,840

Mm....the copper's protective coating is holding up very well for me (area that is exposed and uncovered by the leather case). No signs of deterioration at all.....since Sept. 8th.

F02EAF9F-9B1C-49CC-8EA0-BF47B9B9A8B7.jpeg

Black spot is shadow.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #1,094 of 5,840
Sep 22, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #1,095 of 5,840
One nerdy girl will react.

Ot: mmm...no problem. Turn off the lights.

Still headfi choring on a Sunday...........plotting my next move.....thinking of the Bartok dac amp from DCS. Mm......sidegrade, upgrade, different flavor from chord dave/blu mk ii? Also, set appointment with msb dealer in HK via messenger....... They have demo units. Looking at the discrete dac r2r whatever..........keeping watch on my roasted chicken.....with a thai inspired satay sauce.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back