Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Sep 18, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #1,021 of 5,840
Mm....still transportable in my book. As good as the Stellia is, open backs specially electrostatics or good dynamic like the Beyerdynamic T1.2 or planer magnetics like the Susvara still are miles and miles ahead So, in my book, not good enough for home listening.

SP2K cu, as good as it is, is not good enough for me for home listening. It is tier 2. To be fair, it is probably the finest portable DAP right now for in-ears and some headphones (unsettled question for me).

Going to HK next month....seeking the Denon D9000 (eluded me in SG) and see how it stacks up with my Stellia.....I wish it will. Trying to reignite my love affair with woodies.
Have you tried the Stellia with balanced from SP2kcu yet? If not, it might change your mind and you could get rid of the Hugo2 in between. Please let us know!
If you are looking into woodies, check out this brand new flagship: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-verite-closed-new-closed-back-zmf-flagship.911505/

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #1,022 of 5,840
Mm...not yet......I may yet change my mind and impressions........ And I m waiting for the ZMF Verite Closed to make its appearance in Asia.

I love Chord and have been an owner of many, starting with the original Hugo, Chord TT, Chord Hugo 2, Chord Dave and Chord Blu MK II (the last two is god-level). So, Chord stays.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #1,023 of 5,840
The thread has been awfully quite for the past 15 hours. Any idea when the SP2000s will start shipping out?

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #1,024 of 5,840
I spent a bit more time A/Bing the Sp1k and Sp2k. I couldn't pull the trigger on the Sp1k, kept feeling something was missing - musically.

Just some more points below, I hope it's not just me going crazy. I think the Sp1k is just tuned completely different to the Sp2k.

Sp1k SS
- mid focused sound
- smaller width than the Sp2k
- detailed mids and very prominent
- very good for live vocal-focused music

Sp2k SS
- wider soundstage and good separation
- brighter treble and good extension
- mids are further behind, but in good balance with everything else
- better balance between all the sounds to create a more complete room sound
- more controlled bass

This was all through my Fitear MH335DW SR, coming back to the Sp1k, I keep hearing the bass and vocals a lot more, while the Sp2k was a lot more balanced in full sound.

Hopefully I'm not going crazy and people are hearing the same thing as me. I can't shake the Sp2k sound signature off (and the weird thing is the SR15 has the closest tuning from all the AKs in my opinion, but doesn't show all the details). I might have to just bite the bullet and buy the Sp2k.

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #1,025 of 5,840
Have you tried the Stellia with balanced from SP2kcu yet? If not, it might change your mind and you could get rid of the Hugo2 in between. Please let us know!
If you are looking into woodies, check out this brand new flagship: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-verite-closed-new-closed-back-zmf-flagship.911505/

Mm...SP2K cu = significantly more tolerable to my ears when I engage the AK secret EQ button specially with fast rock. Less in your face. Used Erlkonig.

Without it, it sounds like AK turned on the faucet full blast across the board. Ugggh! Intolerable with a lot of tracks I listen to. But I turn it off for audiophile recordings (the usual suspects like Wong, Rebeca, Krall etc.)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #1,026 of 5,840
Mm...SP2K cu = significantly more tolerable to my ears when I engage the AK secret EQ button specially with fast rock. Less in your face. Used Erlkonig.

Without it, it sounds like AK turned on the faucet full blast across the board. Ugggh! Intolerable with a lot of tracks I listen to. But I turn it off for audiophile recordings (the usual suspects like Wong, Rebeca, Krall etc.)
You sayin‘ that the EQ really works? I always thought the EQ on AK DAPs is forgettable.

Maybe they changed something for the SP2k and now the EQ is better implemented?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #1,027 of 5,840
I spent a bit more time A/Bing the Sp1k and Sp2k. I couldn't pull the trigger on the Sp1k, kept feeling something was missing - musically.

Just some more points below, I hope it's not just me going crazy. I think the Sp1k is just tuned completely different to the Sp2k.

Sp1k SS
- mid focused sound
- smaller width than the Sp2k
- detailed mids and very prominent
- very good for live vocal-focused music

Sp2k SS
- wider soundstage and good separation
- brighter treble and good extension
- mids are further behind, but in good balance with everything else
- better balance between all the sounds to create a more complete room sound
- more controlled bass

This was all through my Fitear MH335DW SR, coming back to the Sp1k, I keep hearing the bass and vocals a lot more, while the Sp2k was a lot more balanced in full sound.

Hopefully I'm not going crazy and people are hearing the same thing as me. I can't shake the Sp2k sound signature off (and the weird thing is the SR15 has the closest tuning from all the AKs in my opinion, but doesn't show all the details). I might have to just bite the bullet and buy the Sp2k.

I would not call them tuned completely differently, but I agree with most of your impressions. The most obvious difference is the tighter bass of SP2000SS. However, I would call the tonal balance of the SP1000SS more neutral, at least better to my ears. SP2000SS sounds a bit V-shaped to me, a bit thin sounding due to slightly recessed mids.

Sep 19, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #1,028 of 5,840
I would not call them tuned completely differently, but I agree with most of your impressions. The most obvious difference is the tighter bass of SP2000SS. However, I would call the tonal balance of the SP1000SS more neutral, at least better to my ears. SP2000SS sounds a bit V-shaped to me, a bit thin sounding due to slightly recessed mids.
Tight bass can mean less bass and the sound of the sp2000 from your writing I take it that the sp2000 is a fail.

Sep 19, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #1,029 of 5,840
Tight bass can mean less bass and the sound of the sp2000 from your writing I take it that the sp2000 is a fail.
Fitear house sound is not neutral.

Sep 19, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #1,030 of 5,840
Sep 19, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #1,031 of 5,840
@JasonNYC , when will the US Pre-ordered SP2000s ship out? They are supposed to be released today, right?

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #1,032 of 5,840

I don’ Know why you do not have the Sony WM1Z in your inventory. The 1A is brighter just like the SP2K. It sounds like you like warmer and slower sounds. I think the Erlkonig and SP2K combo may be too much for you. To me they are not bright or in your face, they are immensely lively, fun, and transparent.

Listen to your own words, you spent 3.5K just so you can TOLERATE the SP2K. And you spent another 5K on the Erlkonig so you can again TOLERATE the in your face sound. Man my hats off to you, you are a man with many virtues and particularly tolerance. When it comes to audiophile gears, tolerance is not one of my virtues. I think God created tolerance to be used in marriage and not in hifi so you can work all your life to please another person just so you can tolerate her :wink:.

But compassion is one of my virtues, so if it helps to reduce your pain so you no longer have to tolerate them, I will take them off your hands for not too much loss if that will help, please let me know and you know I already have the Erlkonig and the SP2K, so it is not for me. It is truly a compassionate act.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #1,033 of 5,840

Tighter bass does not mean less. SP2000SS just has the faster bass with shorter decay, which is positive. But the mids are a bit recessed and voices can sound slightly on the lean side, compared to the SP1000SS. It also depends on the headphone or IEM used, though. Overall, SP2000SS is definitely no fail. It is the slightly better DAP, but both are really good.

FWIW, they also sound different when used as transport via USB out. SP2000SS has the tighter and faster bass again and sounds more dynamic. This is not night and day of course, but audible when feeding Chord Dave, even with two USB reclockers in between.

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #1,035 of 5,840
Tighter bass does not mean less. SP2000SS justhankst has the faster bass with shorter decay, which is positive. But the mids are a bit recessed and voices can sound slightly on the lean side, compared to the SP1000SS. It also depends on the headphone or IEM used, though. Overall, SP2000SS is definitely no fail. It is the slightly better DAP, but both are really good.

FWIW, they also sound different when used as transport via USB out. SP2000SS has the tighter and faster bass again and sounds more dynamic. This is not night and day of course, but audible when feeding Chord Dave, even with two USB reclockers in between.
thanks for saying less bass in a audiophile way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back