Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Aug 25, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #571 of 5,840
Most of the stuffs on HF are overrated anyway :). I was thinking of what to write for my impression since I don't post often. Here is my 2cent as promised.

My gears that I brought to the shop/meet are sony wm1z and lpg diana edition for daps for comparison. Testing on my own hifiman he1000se, campfire andromeda/vega, and shure ske1500. All silver cables and music rock/pop/edm.

First time I auditioned the sp2k ss at canjam socal and I like it a lot. This time I came back to make sure which version that I should purchase, cu or ss. IMHO, all the impressions of the ss and cu, from all previous versions up to this model from AK are true. ss is brighter and airier than cu, BUT to a very very small degree. I came from a strong preference for warm/bass signature in the past few years. Listen to the sp2k ss at canjam gave something difference and I like it. My preference had changed and I love the airy, sparkle, and refine treble than big bass. I'm phased away from warm tonality. What is this mean? When I compared both version of ss and cu, I'm happy with either version. When I demoed the cu version, I'm looking for specific in the treble area and the cu version got everything I'm asking for from the ss - maybe a little less obvious than the ss but everything is there. And please, this is very small and whoever said ibig difference between the cu and ss; I don't know what to say.

My own personal take when I compared the 3 daps and the sp2k fell right in between my 2 daps in tonality. The 1z is warm. The lpg is neutral to cool sound on the high and the treble could be pierce, like the ca andromeda. The sp2k is neutral but did not go far into the cool/cold side - so a shade warmer compared to lpg. The sp2k's treble is airy and refine. This treble and airy sound you could find in newer gears such as sony ier-z1r or jomo trinity iems. This is my impressions when compared between my daps. Hopefully it will make sense to some of you.

Last but not least, after the 2nd audition of the sp2k, I was a little less impressed with the sp2k than when I first heard at canjam. Don't know why! But one thing for sure to me is that my 2 daps did not fall behind to the sp2k in every way. They're about the same and compete in different tonality. Maybe this is the reason why I felt like a little less exciting when I gave a more serious listening audition? For whatever I just said, I'll get the ss version when it comes out lol. My reason to be honest, I don't really need it but my ske1500 is picky with sources and the lpg has high output. So I'll get the sp2k to pair with my electrostatic iem for now.

Bonus: the best and most surprising thing for me is be able to test out the stax 009s with bhse amp at the shop. If you're into details and sparkle/airy/refine treble - this is it, but most of you already known this. I'm sure with the sp2k ss pair with ske1500, I'll be able to get thru this difficult time while waiting for wife to give me a green light to purchase one of those system. Also, the sp2k sound sublime with senn hd800. And yes, enough power and I can't complain in a portable setup.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #572 of 5,840
Most of the stuffs on HF are overrated anyway :). I was thinking of what to write for my impression since I don't post often. Here is my 2cent as promised.

My gears that I brought to the shop/meet are sony wm1z and lpg diana edition for daps for comparison. Testing on my own hifiman he1000se, campfire andromeda/vega, and shure ske1500. All silver cables and music rock/pop/edm.

First time I auditioned the sp2k ss at canjam socal and I like it a lot. This time I came back to make sure which version that I should purchase, cu or ss. IMHO, all the impressions of the ss and cu, from all previous versions up to this model from AK are true. ss is brighter and airier than cu, BUT to a very very small degree. I came from a strong preference for warm/bass signature in the past few years. Listen to the sp2k ss at canjam gave something difference and I like it. My preference had changed and I love the airy, sparkle, and refine treble than big bass. I'm phased away from warm tonality. What is this mean? When I compared both version of ss and cu, I'm happy with either version. When I demoed the cu version, I'm looking for specific in the treble area and the cu version got everything I'm asking for from the ss - maybe a little less obvious than the ss but everything is there. And please, this is very small and whoever said ibig difference between the cu and ss; I don't know what to say.

My own personal take when I compared the 3 daps and the sp2k fell right in between my 2 daps in tonality. The 1z is warm. The lpg is neutral to cool sound on the high and the treble could be pierce, like the ca andromeda. The sp2k is neutral but did not go far into the cool/cold side - so a shade warmer compared to lpg. The sp2k's treble is airy and refine. This treble and airy sound you could find in newer gears such as sony ier-z1r or jomo trinity iems. This is my impressions when compared between my daps. Hopefully it will make sense to some of you.

Last but not least, after the 2nd audition of the sp2k, I was a little less impressed with the sp2k than when I first heard at canjam. Don't know why! But one thing for sure to me is that my 2 daps did not fall behind to the sp2k in every way. They're about the same and compete in different tonality. Maybe this is the reason why I felt like a little less exciting when I gave a more serious listening audition? For whatever I just said, I'll get the ss version when it comes out lol. My reason to be honest, I don't really need it but my ske1500 is picky with sources and the lpg has high output. So I'll get the sp2k to pair with my electrostatic iem for now.

Bonus: the best and most surprising thing for me is be able to test out the stax 009s with bhse amp at the shop. If you're into details and sparkle/airy/refine treble - this is it, but most of you already known this. I'm sure with the sp2k ss pair with ske1500, I'll be able to get thru this difficult time while waiting for wife to give me a green light to purchase one of those system. Also, the sp2k sound sublime with senn hd800. And yes, enough power and I can't complain in a portable setup.

Tks for sharing!!
Do you recommend sp2k for ier z1r? Have enough power on the balance output to ier z1r?

With ier z1r, i tried 1z and i think its too dark, LPGT is too straight too flat, N8 also is warm for me.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #573 of 5,840
Tks for sharing!!
Do you recommend sp2k for ier z1r? Have enough power on the balance output to ier z1r?

With ier z1r, i tried 1z and i think its too dark, LPGT is too straight too flat, N8 also is warm for me.
Get another iem.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #575 of 5,840
Aug 26, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #576 of 5,840

Thanks for sharing!
How is the SP2K pairing with the HE1000SE?
To me, with SP1000 the sound is too treble heavy and lack of bass
How is the SP2K pairing with KSE1500??

Aug 26, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #577 of 5,840
Tks for sharing!!

It sure got enough power for iems. Any iems on the market currently I believe. Ier-z1r is considered hard to drive for iems but it's still an iem.

Lol. Then you got nothing left to lose for not trying and keep on your journey. You almost there. So close... lol

Aug 26, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #578 of 5,840
Thanks for sharing!
How is the SP2K pairing with the HE1000SE?
To me, with SP1000 the sound is too treble heavy and lack of bass
How is the SP2K pairing with KSE1500??
Sound very good - open and airy. Neutral to warm tonality. Very detail. Good right bass. The he1000se is not that easy to drive. Volume 125/150 and I listen at medium. Jalo's got old ears so he always turn everything max. Not sure which camp you're falling in.

Jalo can give you a better comparison between v1 and v2. I don't pay attention to ak until now.

Kse1500 pairs with sp1k is popular and I don't hear any complaint of distortion from members here. Sony 1z is warm. Lpg is easy distortion (pita), but sound very good. Either the n8 or sp2k left. Honestly, you don't have much choice. Good luck.

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #579 of 5,840

As I suspected based on this review the sp2000 is not better than the kann cube.

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #580 of 5,840
Thanks for all impressions - ps those who have the sp1000 was the 2000 much better in terms of sound quality - could you hear more separation in the instruments etc, was it more musical than the older model

Many thanks

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #581 of 5,840
Well, my friend Tumyum (posted above) did go to the event and listened. We actually did audition at SoCal Can Jam also but only with the SS. After the Saturday event he told me on the phone that he thought the difference between SS and CU was very small, something on the order like 100% to 99% for SS in terms of treble sparkle, airiness and such. His impressions is similar to the last time in LA both very good. He thought the previous reports on this thread about the differences were somewhat exaggerated and that the two versions were very close in sound and he will be happy with either one. He did noticed that the SS model seemed to have much more scratches than the CU model.

In fact while he was at the event, he called me and passed the phone to the AK rep Owen and I talked with him for a couple of minutes. I asked if the SP2000 can act as a dac and if it has a digital out and he said yes to both. I was slightly concerned the fact that the SP2000 does not have the build in capability to add an additional amp in th future and he said that the SP2000 is built strictly as a portable device and as such any future expansion of amp is not in the design. My last question to him was whether AK has any development of any SP2000 variation in the work and he said that not for couple of years. So we’ll see.
Any chance you asked about Roon certification?

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #582 of 5,840
Any chance you asked about Roon certification?

tumblr_liwjwmczde1qbw7ws.gif

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #583 of 5,840
Aug 30, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #584 of 5,840
Not to me, the SP2000’s sound bring me so much closer to my music than even almost most desktop systems at the last SoCal Can Jam.
It is true however that 1k+amp is more powerful (10vrms) than 2k (6vrms).

Hi, i have compare the 1000cu to 1000cu + amp in low gain
I found the sound dimension of the 1k cu is prefect with my ier-z1r and the 1000cu + amp is putting the sound too much forward.
Do you feel the 2000cu over power like the 1000cu + amp too?

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #585 of 5,840
Hi, i have compare the 1000cu to 1000cu + amp in low gain
I found the sound dimension of the 1k cu is prefect with my ier-z1r and the 1000cu + amp is putting the sound too much forward.
Do you feel the 2000cu over power like the 1000cu + amp too?

ier-z1r is low sensitivity power hungry iem with more aggressive sound. What you are hearing with +amp is how it's intended to sound. What you prefer to hear is how it sounds underpowered :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back