Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Aug 20, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #543 of 5,848
just did another comparo between Cube and TT2+Mscaler with LCD 4Z.

Id say the SQ improvement with TT2MSC is 60% to 70%... it is that much better.

Lets hope a hugo 3 gets us closer... I'd say it's going to take at least 3 to 5 years before we are reaching this level of SQ in hand held platforms based on current tech.

I will agree with you on the above assessment. However I will agree based on the fact that you are using a fullsize headphone and you are using the LCD that can benefit from that set up.
When I compare the SP2000 to the Khan Cube at SoCal there is at least 30 percent improvement on the SP2000 with two of my iems. When you take the power out of the equation the remaining sound is very good, much better than Hugo 2.

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #544 of 5,848
I will agree with you on the above assessment. However I will agree based on the fact that you are using a fullsize headphone and you are using the LCD that can benefit from that set up.
When I compare the SP2000 to the Khan Cube at SoCal there is at least 30 percent improvement on the SP2000 with two of my iems. When you take the power out of the equation the remaining sound is very good, much better than Hugo 2.
this is interesting.

beginning to think daps are much better suited for IEMs.

find it hard to believe the delta btw cube and sp2k is 30%... alas i have not heard so will need to audition.

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #545 of 5,848
this is interesting.

beginning to think daps are much better suited for IEMs.

find it hard to believe the delta btw cube and sp2k is 30%... alas i have not heard so will need to audition.
Just my 2 cents, but there are so many variables: burn in, cables, tips, not to mention the variables in sound itself; timbre, tone, layering, treble extension, darkness of the background, details vs smoothness of mids, sound stage height, width, depth, coherency, etc.a blanket statement: "X is 30% better than Y" seems like an over simplification...

Aug 21, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #546 of 5,848
Just my 2 cents, but there are so many variables: burn in, cables, tips, not to mention the variables in sound itself; timbre, tone, layering, treble extension, darkness of the background, details vs smoothness of mids, sound stage height, width, depth, coherency, etc.a blanket statement: "X is 30% better than Y" seems like an over simplification...
Well that is of course just my own opinion and all of the above in addition to many other factors were considered including person bias. It is no different from Mightykyn throwing around 60% better with the TT2+MS over the Khan Cube. We have all done that, it is based on our own best judgment and clearly it is not scientific. I am a season headfier and everyone will have to decide how much they agree with my assessment.

Furthermore, an experienced headfier will know how to control most of those variables. For instance, when I compare the SP2000, I use my own IEMs and cable that I am very familiar with. I will also listen to the same piece of music etc.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #547 of 5,848
Well that is of course just my own opinion and all of the above in addition to many other factors were considered including person bias. It is no different from Mightykyn throwing around 60% better with the TT2+MS over the Khan Cube. We have all done that, it is based on our own best judgment and clearly it is not scientific. I am a season headfier and everyone will have to decide how much they agree with my assessment.

Furthermore, an experienced headfier will know how to control most of those variables. For instance, when I compare the SP2000, I use my own IEMs and cable that I am very familiar with. I will also listen to the same piece of music etc.
EXCEPT

In the case of the mighty one... TT2MSC is 70% better!

ex ex had a listen tonight... she was blown away... felt listening to music for 1st time... Cube is a tin can in comparo.

Delta is MASSIVE.

all in good fun.

enjoy the music man.

Aug 21, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #548 of 5,848

If we on here chatting , than we have very bad judgement.

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #550 of 5,848

OK, fair enough.

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #551 of 5,848
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #552 of 5,848
EXCEPT

In the case of the mighty one... TT2MSC is 70% better!

ex ex had a listen tonight... she was blown away... felt listening to music for 1st time... Cube is a tin can in comparo.

Delta is MASSIVE.

all in good fun.

enjoy the music man.
I'm sure that TT2MSC is better, especially with a power hungry cans like LCD4Z. To me, choice is simple because I want a portable player. SP2K it is.

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #553 of 5,848
I'm sure that TT2MSC is better, especially with a power hungry cans like LCD4Z. To me, choice is simple because I want a portable player. SP2K it is.
TT2 intrigues me now... Had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Rob Watts at canjam, truly a scholar and a gentleman...

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #554 of 5,848
Thought I'd chime in here. I've owned the Cube, WM1Z, Hugo2, SP1000, and SP1000M, and current home setup is iDSD Pro + Formula S amp. I'd like to upgrade from the iDSD but that's another story.

I recently traded out the WM1Z and also the SP1000 in anticipation of the SP2000. The WM1Z has a lot of DSP options as per usual with Sony stuff. It also sounds overly warm and smooth to me, and, well, processed, even with all of the DSP bypassed. Everything sounds upsampled by default. I prefer the higher clarity and transparency that A&K brings to the table, and the layering.

I'd say the Cube is good for its price point but not great. The SP1000M is about 15-20% better, and the SP1000 is even better than the SP1000M. Main differences are resolution, soundstage width, high-end extension, separation, layering, mids, and lower-mids. So, most aspects. The Cube has a thicker and warmer sound and handles bass pretty well which is not a surprise given its power but it lacks a bit of texture. I can see why its building a following, its just very far from reference. I just took some heat on the Cube thread for saying this but oh well. The Hugo2, in my opinion, is a bit sterile like most Chord products and the overall user experience is clunky. It does have good separation in my opinion but I prefer the sound of my IEMs driven directly from the SP1000M or SP1000 than the Hugo2. But the Hugo2 is not really meant to directly compete with these devices.

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #555 of 5,848
Thought I'd chime in here. I've owned the Cube, WM1Z, Hugo2, SP1000, and SP1000M, and current home setup is iDSD Pro + Formula S amp. I'd like to upgrade from the iDSD but that's another story.

I recently traded out the WM1Z and also the SP1000 in anticipation of the SP2000. The WM1Z has a lot of DSP options as per usual with Sony stuff. It also sounds overly warm and smooth to me, and, well, processed, even with all of the DSP bypassed. Everything sounds upsampled by default. I prefer the higher clarity and transparency that A&K brings to the table, and the layering.

I'd say the Cube is good for its price point but not great. The SP1000M is about 15-20% better, and the SP1000 is even better than the SP1000M. Main differences are resolution, soundstage width, high-end extension, separation, layering, mids, and lower-mids. So, most aspects. The Cube has a thicker and warmer sound and handles bass pretty well which is not a surprise given its power but it lacks a bit of texture. I can see why its building a following, its just very far from reference. I just took some heat on the Cube thread for saying this but oh well. The Hugo2, in my opinion, is a bit sterile like most Chord products and the overall user experience is clunky. It does have good separation in my opinion but I prefer the sound of my IEMs driven directly from the SP1000M or SP1000 than the Hugo2. But the Hugo2 is not really meant to directly compete with these devices.
...The plot thickens. It seems more and more I am just going to "have" to buy the 2000...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back