Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Sep 2, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #676 of 5,840
I never liked Chord and even Chord Dave. The last time I listened to Chord Dave, I bought DMP Z1 instead. SP2000 is still the only DAP that uses AK4499EQ which is newer than both N8 and DMP, which is very intriguing for sure. At least AK is keeping up with the newest DAC IC development and still keeping the same price

Dx220 isnt a mid level DAP, but you can categorize it so by your own opinion which you are entitled to. Beside, my Dx220 isnt your typical Stock one either :). Yes, again, I process this hobby uniquely on my own paths.

Yes, I do enjoy both my Extremely modified Dx220 with extremely modified Amp 8 along the side of DMP Z1. You can use that example as both, the DMP Z1 is a mid tier Device or the modified Dx220 and Amp8 isnt your Mid-tier device, whichever works, my friend

Regardless of what I do, I always listen before I judge or try to find out more. Unfortunately, I dont have money raining into my pockets, and so with the new technology and DAP release speed currently, I cant listen to SP2k yet. But I enjoy reading people posts about it.

Also, I did listen to Cayin N8. For a stock DAP, N8 was good, and defintely on the same tier with a DX200 and amp 8 stock. There is no way the Cayin N8 could outperform any EX modified DX220 or DX200 and EX modified Amp8. The DMP Z1 is above everything in extreme energy expression, details retrieving, soundstage presentation and eliminate the digital grainy problems almost entirely especially with WAV files.
Hi @Whitigir, I am just wondering if you think the SP2000 might be on the same level as your modded DX220, because let’s assume the SP2000 is more or less in the same league as the N8 (or since we are in an AK thread let’s assume it’s even a bit „better“) then it would still be way under your modded DAP, am I right? So I‘m just interested why you are interested hahahaha
Or do you think the new AK dap also can be modded like your ibasso devices?

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #677 of 5,840
Hi @Whitigir, I am just wondering if you think the SP2000 might be on the same level as your modded DX220, because let’s assume the SP2000 is more or less in the same league as the N8 (or since we are in an AK thread let’s assume it’s even a bit „better“) then it would still be way under your modded DAP, am I right? So I‘m just interested why you are interested hahahaha

Everything can be modified, but modifications is a 2 edges sword.

I have not heard SP2000, and I have no ideas how it would sound. Totally 0 clues here

I am interested in SP2000 simply because it uses the newest AK4499EQ. Yes, the DAC IC alone isnt enough to sell it. But interesting enough to pull attentions and curiosity for sure. Beside, it will be the first DAP within AK to be able to play native DSD512

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #678 of 5,840
....In fact while he was at the event, he called me and passed the phone to the AK rep Owen and I talked with him for a couple of minutes. I asked if the SP2000 can act as a dac and if it has a digital out and he said yes to both.....

I am told the Optical for SP1k bypasses the DAC. From your conversation or what you know, does that change with SP2k?... meaning the DAC actually generates the audio for Optical?

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #679 of 5,840
Maybe he is interested because he is an audiophile?

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #680 of 5,840
I am told the Optical for SP1k bypasses the DAC. From your conversation or what you know, does that change with SP2k?... meaning the DAC actually generates the audio for Optical?
So what generates audio for optical, if not the DAC?

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #681 of 5,840
DELETED - misunderstood the question...lol

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #683 of 5,840
What I meant was the "internal" DAC as per Jason and kel77 below. Is it the source input digital file being outputted? I am thinking what is the best input for my AVR from a SP1k or SP2k (e.g. optical or RCA).

When passing via SPDIF or USB, you are bypassing the internal DAC and MQA decoder in the player. It will only unfold when playing on the player itself.

To not bypass the DAC, the 3.5mm/2.5mm audio output is the only solution.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #684 of 5,840
Sep 3, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #685 of 5,840
When you use optical out you are bypassing the internal dac and amp, your SPK or SP2000 will act as a transport only.

For the SP2000 there are two ways to obtain digital out, optical and usb.
When you use line out, you are bypassing the amp only and you are still using the internal dac.
For the SP2000, the internal dac is one of the best dac that we have right now.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #686 of 5,840
When you use optical out you are bypassing the internal dac and amp, your SPK or SP2000 will act as a transport only.

For the SP2000 there are two ways to obtain digital out, optical and usb.
When you use line out, you are bypassing the amp only and you are still using the internal dac.
For the SP2000, the internal dac is one of the best dac that we have right now.
Why is the internal dac "the best" , you have used this dac in another player ?

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #687 of 5,840
Everything can be modified, but modifications is a 2 edges sword.

I have not heard SP2000, and I have no ideas how it would sound. Totally 0 clues here

I am interested in SP2000 simply because it uses the newest AK4499EQ. Yes, the DAC IC alone isnt enough to sell it. But interesting enough to pull attentions and curiosity for sure. Beside, it will be the first DAP within AK to be able to play native DSD512
I see. But you have heard the SP1000? If so, how did that DAP sound compared to your modded DX220? Just curious ...

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #688 of 5,840
upload_2019-9-3_12-24-14.png

That's the mark of a real Enthusiast. Interested doesn't always mean to buy in. I auditioned the SP1K (ss & cu), on several occasions + Amp powering a modified Elear. Audtioned the SP1KM, too. All of 'em, They sound great. Without the amp (on the 1k) though, some differences compared to i.e. an AK240...

Sep 3, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #690 of 5,840
Let’s just say that after everything, and right now the only DAP I have is the DX228EX (modified DX220 and modified Amp8). Then DMP-Z1
So you said nothing. Obvious the SP1000 slays the dx220.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back