Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Aug 30, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #5,206 of 5,840
Stuff like this played a role in me swearing off "flagship" level DAPs specifically (battery powered music devices, generally) a few years ago. I have literally spent thousand$ on A&K DAPs in the past (not since the AK380 Cu). Then again, I made the decision to no longer play in the big boy summit-fi pool too, so also miss out on plenty of stuff, hahahaha.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #5,207 of 5,840
The one time I had to deal with an ibasso warranty it was like a one week turnaround and jamato handled it for me here in the states. Very impressive.
Yes, Ibasso do allow seasoned people to work on products from times to times , and that is another reason why I would go with Ibasso over anything else. Not only that it has great build, good quality, but very friendly toward the mod community and people who is capable of tackling some small jobs.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #5,208 of 5,840
Stuff like this played a role in me swearing off "flagship" level DAPs specifically (battery powered music devices, generally) a few years ago. I have literally spent thousand$ on A&K DAPs in the past (not since the AK380 Cu). Then again, I made the decision to no longer play in the big boy summit-fi pool too, so also miss out on plenty of stuff, hahahaha.
AK I do not think I buy it more, a shame the technical service. But I am liking Cayin much more, because they have very good communication with their distributor in Chile and they give you a sincere and timely response. I do not want to spend more $ 3,000 for something that I will only use 3 months and will spend 9 months in technical service, a shame. The anger and disappointment that one feels cannot be described.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #5,209 of 5,840
AK I do not think I buy it more, a shame the technical service. But I am liking Cayin much more, because they have very good communication with their distributor in Chile and they give you a sincere and timely response. I do not want to spend more $ 3,000 for something that I will only use 3 months and will spend 9 months in technical service, a shame. The anger and disappointment that one feels cannot be described.
It is frustrating. I had an aggravating situation with Hiby, never Cayin or iBasso.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #5,210 of 5,840
Yes, I agree totally. Not only that you go around without music, and who knows what may happen tomorrow ? Top that of, new players are being released with innovative and creativity from all competitions are almost 1/4 basis. So, unless you don’t care about anything else, do spend your time sending it and dealing with such issues. If you do, I wager that one should buy TOTL devices that allow replacement right away, especially if it is a new purchases if a few months old, or at least have the ability to resolve in a couple weeks turn around.

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #5,211 of 5,840
Sadly, AK doesn’t seem to offer stellar customer experience once something bad occurs. Which is unusual cos in Korea, the service levels are very very high. Almost as high as the Japanese domestic market. I was once told that if your washing machine had an issue, the expectation of the Korean domestic consumer is someone will come to fix within the next few hours. Or at the latest, the next day.

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #5,212 of 5,840
I know the feel man, happended to me too. bureaucracy too complexs. Hope this time $50 (not include shiping fee) glass replacement from top of my sp2kss which is broken because of fallen dont take too long like before. It was New sp1k with dead pixel open boxed, it was like 8 months waiting game Lol. I love cayin too now, their service very responsinve. Hiby also replaced my R8 with new one when the battery failed. Im satisfied.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #5,213 of 5,840
Sadly, AK doesn’t seem to offer stellar customer experience once something bad occurs. Which is unusual cos in Korea, the service levels are very very high. Almost as high as the Japanese domestic market. I was once told that if your washing machine had an issue, the expectation of the Korean domestic consumer is someone will come to fix within the next few hours. Or at the latest, the next day.
I suspect that A&K customer service is excellent in Korea and even in other Asian countries.
But for others regions it's not top notch to say the least.
I'm in Europe and had to send at my expenses in Korea a brand new SP1000M that arrived with dead pixels.
In France distributors are reluctant to carry the brand because they don't want to deal with AK after sales service.

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #5,214 of 5,840
I suspect that A&K customer service is excellent in Korea and even in other Asian countries.
I'm in Europe and had to send at my expenses in Korea a brand new SP1000M that arrived with dead pixels.
In France distributors are reluctant to carry the brand because they don't want to deal with AK after sales service.
wow, what a coincidence, same thing lol

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #5,215 of 5,840
Sadly, I will have to disabuse you of the thinking that it is good in Asia... I am from Singapore. No difference in the lack of service levels.

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #5,217 of 5,840
Aug 31, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #5,218 of 5,840
It baffles me that a company selling high end gear has such poor after the sale service. My experience as well. 😒

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #5,219 of 5,840
It baffles me that a company selling high end gear has such poor after the sale service. My experience as well. 😒
hubris...

That's why I thinned the AK herd: the SE200 and the SP1KCu has both gone. The older ones like Ak380Cu, AK120, AK100 and 240 are just not worth the effort of trying to sell off.

The SP2KCu has been given a fresh lease of life because of the new battery and has excellent synergy with the Traillii, which is fairly easy to drive. The SP2KCu and the Kann Alpha (which had to go back around 6 months into ownership for a 4.4mm socket that was faulty) are both around as digital source for Roon, USB out into the P6 Pro and LP6.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #5,220 of 5,840
hubris...

That's why I thinned the AK herd: the SE200 and the SP1KCu has both gone. The older ones like Ak380Cu, AK120, AK100 and 240 are just not worth the effort of trying to sell off.

The SP2KCu has been given a fresh lease of life because of the new battery and has excellent synergy with the Traillii, which is fairly easy to drive. The SP2KCu and the Kann Alpha (which had to go back around 6 months into ownership for a 4.4mm socket that was faulty) are both around as digital source for Roon, USB out into the P6 Pro and LP6.

yes, I agree, hubris. Generally what happens when a company falls prey to this attitude is less success. The SA700 will likely be my last AK dap, and it’s my fifth one: AK100 (original), AK120, AK240, AK240SS, SA700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back