Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jul 12, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #5,026 of 5,840
Qobuz should be fixed, not taken off the list please!
I agree. It was a slightly petulant remark but all the same based on a realists view that this doesn’t seem very likely. I will certainly not renew if it hasn’t improved by next January. Hopefully Apple hi-res may be a realistic option by then. If not, I’ll go back to Tidal despite the extra cost.
It would be interesting to know if this problem is Android-wide or just A&K specific.
If anyone has an Android smartphone and wishes to test it, feel free. You would need to make significant downloads, about 60GB, to be able to assess it though.

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #5,027 of 5,840
As i have been posting in last few weeks i have been having issues with Amazon Music app, such as;

- Going from online to offline mode, downloaded music would not play. Unless i force stop app or reboot dap.
- In online mode, music that was already in the playlists would not play when queued in My Soundtrack.
- massive loading times music while streaming. (This made me think that its a wifi issue on daps hardware side..)

All these issue improved massively/were eliminated after i wiped clean the app and reinstalled.
It seems that it was a buggy install of app or simply corrupted APK. Not an expert so dont know.
I did it at the time on last SP2k FW update, but doubt i has anything in common as there was nothing mentioned related to amazon app.

Anyways, just wanted to highlight it i case anybody else is having similar issues.
This was more of an in app issue and not A&K i believe.
and now everything work as intended. A massive relief for me now as i can enjoy this Dap with no major issues.
Have you re-downloaded all your previous content?

Jul 12, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #5,030 of 5,840
Hopefully Apple hi-res may be a realistic option by then. If not, I’ll go back to Tidal despite the extra cost.
Apple unlike Qobuz means closed ecosystem without any 3rd party integration options. Tidal means rather limited masters catalogue and supporting dodgy MQA scheme. Leaving aside mobile app quality, Qobuz would still remain my first service preference so I'm really hoping they'll up the game.

It would be interesting to know if this problem is Android-wide or just A&K specific.
If anyone has an Android smartphone and wishes to test it, feel free.
Yes I do and no I don't :) I assume there are people getting paid for such thing at Qobuz HQ.
Enough of off-topic ranting, sorry.

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #5,031 of 5,840
Apple unlike Qobuz means closed ecosystem without any 3rd party integration options. Tidal means rather limited masters catalogue and supporting dodgy MQA scheme. Leaving aside mobile app quality, Qobuz would still remain my first service preference so I'm really hoping they'll up the game.

Yes I do and no I don't :) I assume there are people getting paid for such thing at Qobuz HQ.
Enough of off-topic ranting, sorry.
Unfortunately no 3rd party integration offers the ability to download to a portable device for obvious reasons so, as far as a portable device is concerned, it’s irrelevant to me. Tidal works fine on the SP2000 or did last time I used it. I fully appreciate it’s a different story if you’re using the service on a home streamer or using your A&K mainly at home of course.

Yes I hope Qobuz up their game but I’ve been waiting over a year now and just don’t have any confidence left.

I’ve just installed the latest version 6.0.1.7 and this seems to have an added bug that it will only ever display the last 150 releases you’ve favourited. I guess that’s one way to speed up loading times :-/

Jul 12, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #5,033 of 5,840
I’ve just installed the latest version 6.0.1.7 and this seems to have an added bug that it will only ever display the last 150 releases you’ve favourited. I guess that’s one way to speed up loading times :-/
After waiting half an hour with no joy I restarted the device and this does now seem to be working. For now anyway.

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #5,034 of 5,840
I agree. It was a slightly petulant remark but all the same based on a realists view that this doesn’t seem very likely. I will certainly not renew if it hasn’t improved by next January. Hopefully Apple hi-res may be a realistic option by then. If not, I’ll go back to Tidal despite the extra cost.
If anyone has an Android smartphone and wishes to test it, feel free. You would need to make significant downloads, about 60GB, to be able to assess it though.
Yes all back to what is was. Except for a bit newer Amazon app. version.

Jul 13, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #5,035 of 5,840
I fully appreciate it’s a different story if you’re using the service on a home streamer or using your A&K mainly at home of course.
Qobuz content comprises quite significant part of my home-fi listening on a gear, where hires does make a difference (esp. 16 vs 24 bit), so I've learned to fully appreciate it and would rather not jump between services.

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #5,036 of 5,840
@JasonNYC : Hi Jason, any news on the embedded Deezer app? It’s not working from months now. I know that I can use the side loaded app but in this case better remove it completely from the firmware if there is no plan to correct it.
Thanks

Jul 18, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #5,037 of 5,840
Quick question about cases. I use an Effect Audio balanced adapter to run a 4.4 terminated cable from my SP2000, I also have a WM1Z which uses a 4.4 balanced out hence the use of the adapter. The challenge I am facing is finding a case which will allow me to use the adapter, every case I have tried so far has a hole for the input that is to small for the adapter to fully connect. Has anyone found a solution for this? Any help would be most appreciated as I do not want to purchase a new cable or re-terminate an existing cable I have to use the balanced out. Thanks!

Jul 19, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #5,038 of 5,840
Quick question about cases. I use an Effect Audio balanced adapter to run a 4.4 terminated cable from my SP2000, I also have a WM1Z which uses a 4.4 balanced out hence the use of the adapter. The challenge I am facing is finding a case which will allow me to use the adapter, every case I have tried so far has a hole for the input that is to small for the adapter to fully connect. Has anyone found a solution for this? Any help would be most appreciated as I do not want to purchase a new cable or re-terminate an existing cable I have to use the balanced out. Thanks!
AK's own leather case or Miter will allow for the Effect Audio adapter.
The top part of the player will not be protected.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #5,039 of 5,840
Running the risk of stating the obvious - using 3.5 socket for ground is only useful in case your SP2000 will be acting as a source for external balanced hifi equipment, in headphone usage scenario you could just as well get away with using 2.5 socket and an adapter with a smaller footprint.

Jul 19, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #5,040 of 5,840
Yep. Don't don't do it wrongly.
received_2948718128728929.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back