Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
May 30, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #4,831 of 5,848
For this reason, I sold my H2Go and kept SP2000. Not to mention, 2Go is such a pain to use.
Saying the 2Go is a pain to use is a profound understatement. For a few dollars more they could have put a rudimentary display and playback controls on it and made it a useful device. Given its current state and software, its a curiosity at best. Given the current server software options on apple devices, the sound quality has been inconsistent and unpredictable when the Hugo2 isn’t playing through a standard digital input. It was for these reasons I went an purchased the SP2000 after selling the Hugo2/2Go combination- and while not quite as powerful, has better soundstage and detail retrieval. I hope that there will be adequate software support for it moving forward- this shouldn’t be a difficult thing for them to do given their current market position and size. In my home system, I’m currently listening to a vintage tube amplifier, a 12 year old preamplifier, and 10 year old speakers- I would hate to have ‘built in obsolescence‘ in a $3500 music player. I understand digital devices don’t typically have long lifespans- but my current portable system was very, very expensive- and I would like it to have some longevity.

May 30, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #4,832 of 5,848
Saying the 2Go is a pain to use is a profound understatement. For a few dollars more they could have put a rudimentary display and playback controls on it and made it a useful device. Given its current state and software, its a curiosity at best. Given the current server software options on apple devices, the sound quality has been inconsistent and unpredictable when the Hugo2 isn’t playing through a standard digital input. It was for these reasons I went an purchased the SP2000 after selling the Hugo2/2Go combination- and while not quite as powerful, has better soundstage and detail retrieval. I hope that there will be adequate software support for it moving forward- this shouldn’t be a difficult thing for them to do given their current market position and size. In my home system, I’m currently listening to a vintage tube amplifier, a 12 year old preamplifier, and 10 year old speakers- I would hate to have ‘built in obsolescence‘ in a $3500 music player. I understand digital devices don’t typically have long lifespans- but my current portable system was very, very expensive- and I would like it to have some longevity.
Agreed !!! Have both the 2Go/Hugo2 and the SP2K. I’m unlikely to reinvest further in the transportable scene given the outdated technology and obsolescence. The 2Go is a reasonably recent release yet redundant compared to many capable music streamers. It’s main advantage is the synergy with the Hugo 2.

Using Roon, I don’t have a problem with it at the moment and can see how it would be of use to someone who keeps the 2Go/Hugo2 plugged in as a desktop solution. But it is a pain to set up.

The sound with the Trailii is very good though.

May 30, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #4,833 of 5,848
nailed it on point

May 31, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #4,834 of 5,848
Sony WF-1000XM4 is about to be lunched! with LDAC codec
And i was wondering if the LDAC codec was planned to be implemented in the SP2000 with coming firmware, of that was something not possible ?
@JasonNYC do you have any information on this ?

May 31, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #4,835 of 5,848
And i was wondering if the LDAC codec was planned to be implemented in the SP2000 with coming firmware, of that was something not possible ?
Lunched? Will it get eaten by someone?:wink: SP2000 has Aptx HD support, which is similar. I'm betting the Sony will support that as well. Yes, I get that LDAC is more ideal and potentially of better SQ due to a higher bitrate.

The real question is, why would you want to use bluetooth on such a highend DAP? Even if using LDAC, it will be a slight compromise in SQ compared to a wired headphone of the same price class. Not to mention one less device to charge..

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #4,836 of 5,848
I agree, that with a DAP like the SP2000 a bluetooth connection isn't the ideal partner.
Sony had removed the APTX codec from the M4, but you can also use something like a Fiio BTR5 connected to SP2000.
But again: From SQ it isn't a combination, which makes sense.

Jun 2, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #4,838 of 5,848
Is anyone else having issues switching between online and offline music on Amazon HD?

Once i switch from online to offline. Any offline song are being loaded continuously and never start.
So far the only solution is to restart the dap. Then it will play offline until you switch again, which is obviously rubbish as i would like to switch between modes quite often.

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #4,839 of 5,848
Is anyone else having issues switching between online and offline music on Amazon HD?

Once i switch from online to offline. Any offline song are being loaded continuously and never start.
So far the only solution is to restart the dap. Then it will play offline until you switch again, which is obviously rubbish as i would like to switch between modes quite often.
I don't have that issue when going offline. Though my wifi is off when offline.

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #4,841 of 5,848
Do you guys know if we get bit perfect music when I play it from the Amazon HD app through the sp2000?

I don't have the SP2K, but my SP1KM appears to play at 24/192 when using recent versions of Amazon Music. One thing to note is that Amazon Music resamples everything to the device supported bitrate (in this case 24/192) so while the 24/192 tracks may be bitperfect, lower bitrate tracks are upsampled.

Jun 3, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #4,842 of 5,848
I don't have the SP2K, but my SP1KM appears to play at 24/192 when using recent versions of Amazon Music. One thing to note is that Amazon Music resamples everything to the device supported bitrate (in this case 24/192) so while the 24/192 tracks may be bitperfect, lower bitrate tracks are upsampled.
When I use it with SP2K, the bit rate changes depending on the song (up to 24/192). I guess it is bit perfect then...

Jun 3, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #4,843 of 5,848
@JasonNYC any feedback from engineers on this ?

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #4,844 of 5,848
When I use it with SP2K, the bit rate changes depending on the song (up to 24/192). I guess it is bit perfect then...

The problem is that A&K devices don't display the actual bitrate anywhere (status bar. etc.). I have other Android DAPs that do. When Amazon is playing a 24/48 track on a 24/192 capable Android device, the actual bitrate always stays at 192 kHz. I'm not saying that's bad, but upsampling is not bitperfect. You will also see that if you use an external DAC that displays the actual rate.

Jun 3, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #4,845 of 5,848
I don't have that issue when going offline. Though my wifi is off when offline.
/Facepalm. Wifi needs to be off for app to switch to offline properly...

This is a saver. As i am having issues with wifi stability. It is worst signal i have ever had on dap. Not sure though if this is an issue on side loaded app or dap itself....

Using same wifi spots as i did with dx300 and R8. On those daps i can count disconnects on my hinders. While with sp2000 its a constant struggle. Wonder if thats the case with other owners?

I was expecting to have some issues.. But when its buffering for 2 minutes when tethered to a phone in the next pocket with full 5g coverage... Just feel like something is not right..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back