Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Jun 6, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #1,336 of 2,082
Never been happier getting rid of any audio device, any device for that matter, as i've been getting rid of my Kann Alpha. A&K products produce nice sound quality but the interface is archaic, the ux is ridiculous, the ui is so small and sluggish that it's an exercise in frustration.

The cumbersome app install, the lack of decent file transfer options on mac, the extreme heat when using as a dac, the unnecessary design with edges that will cut your skin.... The puny software updates that barely address user frustrations...

Has anyone actually felt joy using an A&K interface? - this is genuine question, not at all meant to be ironic.

Phew, so relieved to never have to use A&K again!

Jun 6, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,337 of 2,082
Never been happier getting rid of any audio device, any device for that matter, as i've been getting rid of my Kann Alpha. A&K products produce nice sound quality but the interface is archaic, the ux is ridiculous, the ui is so small and sluggish that it's an exercise in frustration.

The cumbersome app install, the lack of decent file transfer options on mac, the extreme heat when using as a dac, the unnecessary design with edges that will cut your skin.... The puny software updates that barely address user frustrations...

Has anyone actually felt joy using an A&K interface? - this is genuine question, not at all meant to be ironic.

Phew, so relieved to never have to use A&K again!
This is an interesting take. As a first-time A&K user, I was expecting a lot more. The sound is fantastic if you like properly powered reference sound. (I do)

I do admire what they accomplished with the power and sound, but the rest of the experience is problematic. I echo your thoughts on the UI and interface.

Never had the Tidal problems or other main issues discussed in the thread. Though USB audio never worked as seamlessly as other lower-tier products I own did.

Strange design choices for MQS menu lists - not being able to view by album is a baffling omission.

My current issue: I started using bluetooth devices and with the A&K case on, range is sometimes less then my wired headphones! It is by a degree of magnitude worse than my phone.

It's serviceable with the case off. I can't even carry the Alpha with case on in my back pocket and use SBC connected devices - not stable. For the record, I used many devices to test this with multiple codecs.

Oddly, I don't think I'll get rid of it. It is a wired music DAP first, and this it does spectacularly. Especially with DSD and 24/96 but also excellent with streaming - if you can get it playing/connected. It really is sonically brilliant.

With another brands popular DAP at half the price I was shocked at how functional it was, sound was not on the same tier, but everything worked and audio was still quite good. So perhaps my expectations were off when I bought the Alpha.

Expectations and connectivity issues aside. When I'm listening on this wired, I am lost in sonic bliss. Problem is, I paid for the other features too. I'm having a hard time reconciling this.

I have been thinking of these things since I got the Alpha, your comment inspired me to write it down for any use it may be.

Edit: I did actually have an iRiver H120 way back in early 2000's so I guess I'm not technically a first time user, but it has been almost 20 years!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #1,338 of 2,082
This is an interesting take. As a first-time A&K user, I was expecting a lot more. The sound is fantastic if you like properly powered reference sound. (I do)

I do admire what they accomplished with the power and sound, but the rest of the experience is problematic. I echo your thoughts on the UI and interface.

Never had the Tidal problems or other main issues discussed in the thread. Though USB audio never worked as seamlessly as other lower-tier products I own did.

Strange design choices for MQS menu lists - not being able to view by album is a baffling omission.

My current issue: I started using bluetooth devices and with the A&K case on, range is sometimes less then my wired headphones! It is by a degree of magnitude worse than my phone.

It's serviceable with the case off. I can't even carry the Alpha with case on in my back pocket and use SBC connected devices - not stable. For the record, I used many devices to test this with multiple codecs.

Oddly, I don't think I'll get rid of it. It is a wired music DAP first, and this it does spectacularly. Especially with DSD and 24/96 but also excellent with streaming - if you can get it playing/connected. It really is sonically brilliant.

With another brands popular DAP at half the price I was shocked at how functional it was, sound was not on the same tier, but everything worked and audio was still quite good. So perhaps my expectations were off when I bought the Alpha.

Expectations and connectivity issues aside. When I'm listening on this wired, I am lost in sonic bliss. Problem is, I paid for the other features too. I'm having a hard time reconciling this.

I have been thinking of these things since I got the Alpha, your comment inspired me to write it down for any use it may be.

Edit: I did actually have an iRiver H120 way back in early 2000's so I guess I'm not technically a first time user, but it has been almost 20 years!

So many good points here... Don't get me wrong... I gave it a fair chance for 6 months but ended up not using it. I was even prepared to go for the higher tier devices... I love the sound... but what good it it when everything else is a bag of hurt?

I've even had to open up a separate network on 2.4 Ghz for this DAP alone and that causes some serious interference issues in my home - how on earth do you sell a device that's only got 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi in 2021? Forgot to add this to the list of frustrations :))

For anyone interested, I did quite a few extensive mini-reviews of the A&K, even comparing it to my Sony WM1A and I don't dismiss it - just don't get how A&K can sell great hardware with dubious design, awful ux and selective customer service...

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #1,340 of 2,082
...I updated to v.1.14 and the embedded Tidal app crashes upon launching!

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #1,341 of 2,082
...I updated to v.1.14 and the embedded Tidal app crashes upon launching!
Try a soft reset. While the player is on, press and hold the power button down for 10 - 15 seconds until the player shuts down. Press the power button again to restart the player.

Anyone else experience this issue or any other issue with the embedded Tidal app? I installed the update last night as soon as it was released. Had no issues with the embedded Tidal, played a number of tracks, confirmed tracks were now displaying correctly. Been playing music for about 30 minutes this morning already with the embedded Tidal on the KANN ALPHA and no issues.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 7, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #1,344 of 2,082
Hi, I just read the announcement about Roon integration for the Kann Alpha.
Does anyone know how to install it?

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #1,346 of 2,082
There will be a firmware update to enable Roon Ready support once the embedded Tidal app fixes finish rolling out.
Thanks, maybe the Roon FB team should review the announcement…it is a bit misleading imho

Attachments

• B2163640-69F3-4B29-94A0-CA6E612E7748.png
    B2163640-69F3-4B29-94A0-CA6E612E7748.png
    535.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #1,347 of 2,082
There will be a firmware update to enable Roon Ready support once the embedded Tidal app fixes finish rolling out.
Maybe this time this could fix all those wifi/AKconnect drops issues and at least keep current playlist active even if there is a drop... like all good software programs like Uapp, Neutron, DSAudio etc can do (drops never reset the active current playlist).

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #1,348 of 2,082
Will this be available to other players also?

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #1,349 of 2,082
Will this be available to other players also?

I’m also hoping for the Cube. I still marginally prefer its sound to the Alpha

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #1,350 of 2,082

Attachments

• 3A3F41A9-4B17-4EEC-9AD0-B61636828FE5.jpeg
    3A3F41A9-4B17-4EEC-9AD0-B61636828FE5.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back